Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

The whole ‘role player’ designation is a complete farce.

It’s everyone’s role to hit targets.

To defend when not in possession and to provide an option when we are, to tackle, to contest, to go when it’s your turn.

‘Role player’ is another way of saying ‘not really good at anything, but gets a game anyway’.

Jack of all trades, Master of none?

Somewhat fair call on 'role players'. I think the caveat though is the reason they are necessary is that all teams also have players that are 'Masters of Some, below average or s**t at others', this includes a lot of the stars of the game. Role players are more about covering for your teams weaknesses than they are about their own personal strengths. They are necessary in such a dynamic team sport.

The whole ‘role player’ designation is a complete farce.

It’s everyone’s role to hit targets.

To defend when not in possession and to provide an option when we are, to tackle, to contest, to go when it’s your turn.

‘Role player’ is another way of saying ‘not really good at anything, but gets a game anyway’.

When the mainstays of your team are mediocre, your team is mediocre.

I could handle a first or second year player who is an adequate defender but not creative thinker who slows down our ball movement and turns it over more often than not when he has clear possession. Because this player might remove those deficiencies from his game by the time he plays 50.

I just do not see him in a premiership side, its the same sentiment people had with Sam Gibson, we all know he can play, and he has 'weapons' (although barely uses them) but if we're being bullish about premierships then I'm sorry he's not going to be in it.

Hold onto him, sure I guess he's there in your best 22 if you just want to fill it up but sooner or later he'll be on the outside and then depth.

Let's be realistic here, he's not getting delisted we know that, but he's not in our future plans.

I never said trade him. He is quite a “meh” player
Didn't mean to imply you did. Just, perhaps unfairly, used your post as fodder for a thought that had been brewing in the background the last few weeks since I realized some of my own reasons for disliking certain players (jmac and Atley in particular).

So disappointing to think what could have been. His 2nd or 3rd season was electrifying with his pace off half back and we were all pondering just how many levels could he get to, but turns out that was him at his peak, and that once teams figured him out he has become nothing more than a solid citizen.

Seems like a lifetime ago... skip to 1.45. The willingness to gut run, shrug off a tackle, then hit Hansen lace-out.

Showed so much promise but has stopped dead.

I want to know what happened to Atley? That is not the same player as the one that is currently on our list with the same name and number.

People are imagining Atley 'stepping up' based off of the midfield potential they saw in him in his first few years.

The bloke has been moved to a defensive pocket or flank for the entirety of his career. For whatever reason he had to forgo the opportunity to play the only position he ever showed something 'special' in. You still see glimpses of it when he finds himself at a stoppage or a contest with lots of bodies.

But, the guy plays his role now and beats his man more often than not. He also rarely sets the game alight. That can happen when you make a guy a role playing defender and they never get the opportunity to make the jump. They get used their playing their roles.

Respectfully mate, I'm not underrating his games based on him playing in defence. Tarrant, Firrito, Thompson, EVW etc all defenders but I can/could see their influence on games much more clearly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Respectfully mate, I'm not underrating his games based on him playing in defence. Tarrant, Firrito, Thompson, EVW etc all defenders but I can/could see their influence on games much more clearly.

Fair enough.

I do think for the most part though that people seem to romanticise the explosive inside-outside midfielder that Atley *could* have been (in our dreams at least) and compare that to the dour defensive flanker/pocket we see on display.

He still tries to take the game on but more often than not it simply results in a turnover because the target is unrealistic to hit. Not to mention when he decides to do it none of our players are ready for it. There's no cohesion.

If the line coaches weren't sacked, I think he would be more adventurous.

Also when he sprints, its usually a burst, panic and bomb it long.

Have not seen him shrug off a tackle and open up the game.

Fair enough.

I do think for the most part though that people seem to romanticise the explosive inside-outside midfielder that Atley *could* have been (in our dreams at least) and compare that to the dour defensive flanker/pocket we see on display.

I don't romanticise what he could have been and I don't lament (or even agree) that he is dour.

I'm frustrated that the guy is clueless as to how to play the game properly after this long a career.

He still tries to take the game on but more often than not it simply results in a turnover because the target is unrealistic to hit. Not to mention when he decides to do it none of our players are ready for it. There's no cohesion.

If the line coaches weren't sacked, I think he would be more adventurous.

That is implying that he has been a dramatically different player this year. His malaise has been far longer term than that. Just watch that video from 2012. Completely different player.

Fair enough.

But he's not defensive really either. Gryan Myers ran rings around him.

But he's not defensive really either. Gryan Myers ran rings around him.

I knew Gryan would get brought up. Plenty of good defenders have the odd nightmare. People can't in one breath say they don't notice him and in the next say he doesn't defend. You notice poor defenders, which is why the Miers game stood out like the proverbial.

I wonder seeing that clip from 2012 if opposition teams started dragging him back to the pocket. Most of the damage he caused then was between the arcs.
Opposition teams or Brad Scott berating him because opposition teams used his direct opponent on the transition from turnover. I sometimes wonder if our coaching has focussed too much on correcting a player's perceived weakness and as a result, it robs them of their best assets. Atley and Ahern are the players I am thinking about when I write that. You watch that video and think there is a guy who should be told to take off every time he gets that ball knowing that the metres gained and the transition our way more than compensate for the times it goes wrong.

So disappointing to think what could have been. His 2nd or 3rd season was electrifying with his pace off half back and we were all pondering just how many levels could he get to, but turns out that was him at his peak, and that once teams figured him out he has become nothing more than a solid citizen.
Does Brad Scott need to accept some blame for this? Any remnants of any flare have been well & truly coached out of his game.

Does Brad Scott need to accept some blame for this? Any remnants of any flare have been well & truly coached out of his game.

We have nothing to lose this year. Would love to see Shaw just give him a license to run and gun every time no matter the outcome. If he gets tackled and gives away a free, pat him on the back and tell him to keep going. Might take the guys up the field a few weeks to get into synch and time their movement right but I could see someone like Hall combining with Atley to really accelerate our ball movement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back