Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon we wont see Atley's best for another year or two. I really do think he will mature into an absolute gun. Hopefully next season, but think he got better as this season wore on. Hopefully finds his feet early on in 2018, and becomes a consistent 25+ disposal player.

Reckon we wont see Atley's best for another year or two. I really do think he will mature into an absolute gun. Hopefully next season, but think he got better as this season wore on. Hopefully finds his feet early on in 2018, and becomes a consistent 25+ disposal player.

With respect, is it reasonable to expect a 150 game player to still be one or two seasons away from showing his best?

Basti says hi.

Not sure that's a compelling example. Basti's best was his first year - he's been average to rubbish since and he'll never get any better.

Atley's first year was probably his best, too ... from memory, he finished 5th in the B&F that year and I don't think he's been that high since.

It's a cop out to suggest he's been hindered for 7 seasons by being played out of position.

I'm not anti-Atley, but he's been a disappointment to date. He showed flashes this year, but he's played enough footy to be past showing flashes.

Got thinking about the kaka thrown at Shaun over the years vs how he's lived up to his draft rating and potential. So had a quick go at grading the 1st round of his draft.

Green = better career overall than Shaun
Red = worse career overall than Shaun
Black = equivalent career overall to Shaun

Unless I've overlooked someone he's also been the 3rd most productive 1st round 2010 recruit with 154 games behind Isaac Smith @ 157 and Gaff @ 156.

Based on this I'd rate him as circa pick 7 in the 2010 first round upon review. Worth remembering the draft pool had the eyes picked out of it prior by McGC.

Not exactly the bust people try to portray him as.

David Swallow
Harley Bennell
Sam Day

Andrew Gaff
Jared Polec
Reece Conca
Josh Caddy

Dyson Heppell
Dion Prestia
Daniel Gorringe
Thomas Lynch
Lucas Cook
Seb Tape

Brodie Smith
Billie Smedts
Ben Jacobs

Shaun Atley
Matthew Watson
Isaac Smith
Jayden Pitt
Jed Lamb

Mitch Wallis (F/S) (N/A)
Cameron Guthrie
Jamie Cripps
Patrick Karnezis

Got thinking about the kaka thrown at Shaun over the years vs how he's lived up to his draft rating and potential. So had a quick go at grading the 1st round of his draft.

Unless I've overlooked someone he's also been the 3rd most productive 1st round 2010 recruit with 154 games behind Isaac Smith @ 157 and Gaff @ 156.

Based on this I'd rate him as circa pick 7 in the 2010 first round upon review. Worth remembering the draft pool had the eyes picked out of it prior by McGC.

David Swallow
Harley Bennell
Sam Day

Andrew Gaff
Jared Polec
Reece Conca
Josh Caddy

Dyson Heppell
Dion Prestia
Daniel Gorringe
Thomas Lynch
Lucas Cook
Seb Tape

Brodie Smith
Billie Smedts
Ben Jacobs

Shaun Atley
Matthew Watson
Isaac Smith
Jayden Pitt
Jed Lamb

Mitch Wallis (F/S) (N/A)
Cameron Guthrie
Jamie Cripps
Patrick Karnezis

IMO, the following have definitely had and will have a better career that Atley.

Swallow
Prestia
Caddy
Line ball with Polec
Mitch Wallis
Cam Guthrie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love him to be a full time midfielder. Start him in the centre bounce and see how he goes. Will help quicken up the "meat grinder"

Should have happened a few years ago.

The whole HBF thing should have been a transition plan only imo
I agree. I still dream about his 2012 season when he was putting on his jets and burning off opposition players for the fun of it. What better time than now to throw him in there? It's not like he will cost us games or a finals spot as we are expected to get nowhere near finals.

IMO, the following have definitely had and will have a better career that Atley.

Swallow
Prestia
Caddy
Line ball with Polec
Mitch Wallis
Cam Guthrie
That's only one pick after him that we could have had plus Smith.
Atley certainly wasn't a bad pick. Judging him has suffered from fan expectations of being the next Judd. Was great this year as a more attacking winger/hf. Kudos to those that backed him as a forward half player. I didn't think he had it in him.

Basti says hi.

Um, here's the first time you posted that.

Not sure that's a compelling example. Basti's best was his first year - he's been average to rubbish since and he'll never get any better.

Atley's first year was probably his best, too ... from memory, he finished 5th in the B&F that year and I don't think he's been that high since.

It's a cop out to suggest he's been hindered for 7 seasons by being played out of position.

I'm not anti-Atley, but he's been a disappointment to date. He showed flashes this year, but he's played enough footy to be past showing flashes.

And here's my response.

basti says hi

Not sure what happened to make you post exactly the same thing today, 4 weeks, later, but my response hasn't changed.

David Swallow
Harley Bennell
Sam Day

Andrew Gaff
Jared Polec
Reece Conca
Josh Caddy

Dyson Heppell
Dion Prestia
Daniel Gorringe
Thomas Lynch
Lucas Cook
Seb Tape

Brodie Smith
Billie Smedts
Ben Jacobs

Shaun Atley
Matthew Watson
Isaac Smith
Jayden Pitt
Jed Lamb

Mitch Wallis (F/S) (N/A)
Cameron Guthrie
Jamie Cripps
Patrick Karnezis
LOL Polec and Caddy worse. They should both be green, as should Prestia and Guthrie. Swallow should be black.

LOL Polec and Caddy worse. They should both be green, as should Prestia and Guthrie. Swallow should be black.

I think number of games player / availability should be factored in to some extent which nullifies the first 2.

Disagree on Swallow again on the criteria of career as a whole.

Prestia, Guthrie meh could see it either way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back