1989 VFL Draft Query

Remove this Banner Ad

JA27

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2009
Western District
AFL Club
Collingwood
trying to work through the history of trading since the draft started up and ive come up with a few queries regarding the 1989 draft im hoping someone can help with.

between the 3rd & 4th Rounds 4 extra picks seemed to have been allocated that ended up being used by brisbane (pick 43), brisbane (pick 44), fitzroy (pick 45) & essendon (pick 46). does anybody know why these were allocated as the rest off the draft directly reflected the reverse ladder.

i the 8th round, collingwood & west coast seem to have swapped positions in the draft order, collingwood from pick 112 to pick 106 and west coast from pick 106 to pick 112. both picks were used on father sons, no others players seem to be involved so i dont really understand why it happened.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

From the 1993 Media Guide (an official AFL publication):-

Brisbane:- Chris Guerts - Additional selection after Round 3 to assist club.

Jonathon Solomon - Additional selection after Round 3 to assist club.

Bears were permitted to pre select players who had previously been on AFL Club lists and deleted, or had been negotiated for with an AFL Club. (Hinkley & Caton are named among the 6 players selected).

Essendon:- Shane Radbone - Additional selection for transfer to Brisbane of player B. Hinkley

Fitzroy:- Sasha Dyson-Holland - Additional selection for transfer to Brisbane of player K. Caton

It doesn't look to me like picks 106 & 112 were swapped, however, and they seemingly were taken in the correct order. West Coast had e.g. 64, 78, 92 and 106 (Ashley McIntosh). Collingwood had 70, 84, 98 and 112 (Ernie Hug), after they finished 6 places above West Coast in 1989.

Now I see! It looks like almost all (older) sources show Collingwood with pick 106, West Coast 112, which wouldn't make sense. The 2011 & 2012 AFL Record Season Guide's have it around the other way. It looks to me as if a mistake was made some time back and it's only recently been rectified.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back