1st Test Australia v West Indies Jan 17-21 1000hrs @ the Adelaide Oval

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia from, Pat Cummins (c), Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc
West Indies from, Kraigg Brathwaite (c), Alzarri Joseph (vc), Tagenarine Chanderpaul, Kirk McKenzie, Alick Athanaze, Kavem Hodge, Justin Greaves, Joshua Da Silva, Akeem Jordan, Gudakesh Motie, Kemar Roach, Kevin Sinclair, Tevin Imlach, Shamar Joseph, Zachary McCaskie

Australia from, Pat Cummins (c), Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc
West Indies from, Kraigg Brathwaite (c), Alzarri Joseph (vc), Tagenarine Chanderpaul, Kirk McKenzie, Alick Athanaze, Kavem Hodge, Justin Greaves, Joshua Da Silva, Akeem Jordan, Gudakesh Motie, Kemar Roach, Kevin Sinclair, Tevin Imlach, Shamar Joseph, Zachary McCaskie
Australia one short?

Cameron Green commenting on batting at #4 for the first time in Tests.

"Obviously replacing someone like Steve (Smith) is pretty tough, but I'm just going to play my own way. I don't feel any pressure.''

"So I've always felt like I've had to push the game along at six, whereas I feel like number four is my natural game where I can take my time and get settled in."

The big fellar has a good base at #4 having scored some 1600+ runs at about @68 with six tons, incl a 252 PB at the Gabba over the two preceding seasons before his Test elevation.

Last edited:
Australia: Pat Cummins (c), Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc
This will be the starting X1.

In this order.
Khawaja
Smith
Labuchagne
Green
Head
Marsh
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood

Is strange seeing Steve Smith at the top of the order. A new challenge to reinvigorate the maestro's career, at least that is what we all hope.

Last edited:
This will be the starting X1.

In this order.
Khawaja
Smith
Labuchagne
Green
Head
Marsh
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood

Is strange seeing Steve Smith at the top of the order. A new challenge to reinvigorate the maestro's career, at least that is what we all hope.
Personally feel Australia's line up now is unbalanced. You have 3 defensive minded players as the top 3 then Green , Head and Marsh who are on the more attacking side in the guts.

Personally feel Australia's line up now is unbalanced. You have 3 defensive minded players as the top 3 then Green , Head and Marsh who are on the more attacking side in the guts.
Not sure Green is much more attacking than Smith or Labs, in fact his test SR is lower than both and his 1st class SR is similar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only fix would have been harris at top though not sure many would want that, will be interesting how it all goes though smith for example has been tied up in middle order with short pitched tactics but that stuff only works so well as he kept giving his wicket away to very obvious setups and for all we know teams may actually decide yes its worth wasting new ball fr few overs to bait smith to throw his wicket away.

be fascinating watching it all play out though its either going to be final purple patch for smiths career which could put him as best since the don or going to be a very quick and painful end to his test career.

Yeah, I’ve heard from plenty that have seen more of him than I that he is more suited there, so looking forward to seeing him in action.

I do sort of have a thing against tall batsmen, it's a pretty rare thing to have someone that tall in the top order. Anyway he's not your regulation 6 foot 7 cricketer, don't think I've seen a better fielder for someone of that height.

I do sort of have a thing against tall batsmen, it's a pretty rare thing to have someone that tall in the top order. Anyway he's not your regulation 6 foot 7 cricketer, don't think I've seen a better fielder for someone of that height.
Agree for the most part, obviously there have been others, KP being the most obvious - can give you some advantages with the ability the get a large step forward in, makes length for bowlers difficult.

Both XIs have been confirmed.

Australia XI: Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith, Marnus Labuschagne, Cameron Green, Travis Head, Mitch Marsh, Alex Carey (wk), Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins (c), Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood

West Indies XI: Kraigg Brathwaite (c), Tagenarine Chanderpaul, Kirk McKenzie, Alick Athanaze, Kavem Hodge, Justin Greaves, Joshua Da Silva (wk), Gudakesh Motie, Alzarri Joseph, Shamar Joseph, Kemar Roach

This is the West Indies playing XI with the number of Tests they've played to give you an idea of the experience level of the side.

Brathwaite - 87
Chanderpaul - 8
McKenzie - 1
Athanaze - 2
Hodge - Debut
Greaves - Debut
Da Silva - 24
Motie - 4
A. Joseph - 30
S. Joseph - Debut
Roach - 79

Back