Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Pretty sad how much potential him and his brother had, and both are ravaged by soft tissue injuries. And these only get worse with age. I was in an elite fighting unit in the UK, then came home and had 5 years of mining. I ended up rejoining the Aus army and thinking I wouldnt even have to train after how much load id already completed. Guess again, calf strains to both legs 3 times each as a 35 yr old. And that isn't even an elite sport, I think Sam is finished in my eyes as he is going to be out half the year every year from now on.

Sam Reid = Brad Hardie.
I am totally bemused by the love for this spud.

Where will Reid be in '22?

Not on our list.

Seriously, he will go down as a Premiership player and significant contributor to the team over a decade. Yep he has been injury prone and never reached the improbable heights we all hoped for him. Still he has tried his utmost to get fit and played a role when he has achieved this.

I suspect he will retire.

Less seriously I will really miss the stories of his supposed misbehaviour. This has been consistently funny stuff.

Not on our list.

Seriously, he will go down as a Premiership player and significant contributor to the team over a decade. Yep he has been injury prone and never reached the improbable heights we all hoped for him. Still he has tried his utmost to get fit and played a role when he has achieved this.

Less seriously I will really miss the stories of his supposed misbehaviour. This has been consistently funny stuff.

If fit of cause could be a handy player assistant coach in our VFL side for the younger guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not on our list.

no training or rehab to do. Dangerous to think what he'll do with all that spare time. The stories won't end

I might be alone on this but I think he's playing AFL next year... maybe not with us but he'll get 1 year from someone

No reason not to keep him as depth if he can be bothered to sign a cheap deal to play mostly VFL. Probably not worth it for him at this point.

I'd be open to rookie-listing him if no other club wanted him but if we end up signing McLean, that'll mean we've got Bud, Logan, McLean and Amartey as either permanent key forwards or 2nd ruck/forwards, I'm not sure we really need another one as a break glass in case of emergency option. Plus Paddy McCartin possibly coming into the club on the rookie list (although he may be more as a key defender role).

His first block of games this year was genuinely good imo but as always his body is fragile as glass.

Pretty sad how much potential him and his brother had, and both are ravaged by soft tissue injuries. And these only get worse with age. I was in an elite fighting unit in the UK, then came home and had 5 years of mining. I ended up rejoining the Aus army and thinking I wouldnt even have to train after how much load id already completed. Guess again, calf strains to both legs 3 times each as a 35 yr old. And that isn't even an elite sport, I think Sam is finished in my eyes as he is going to be out half the year every year from now on.
I actually thought they had shared calfs. You would see one of them get injured. Then recover and almost instantly the other one got injured. I have a theory they just shared their hammies throughout their careers. Very successfully IMO.
No one knew!!

Jarrad Waite started playing pretty good footy after he turned 30.
Sam Reid will turn 30 next year. We should extend his contract to the end of 2024.

The last thing we want to do is let 12 years of development go to waste just as its about to pay off. 🥳

Charlie Gardiner confirms Reid will have to wait until the end of the trade period before he is offered a potential new deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back