2013 crowds thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree. the turnout was pretty much what sensible and objective commentators would have predicted in all the circumstances. The somewhat below par Saints roll up offset by the replacement game additions from Richmond.

Fact is that any H and A game featuring an off colour St Kilda which gets over 50,000 is more than holding its own. As for the Tigers the truth is that we all have known for ages that any semblance of sustained form onfield would see a surge in turnout. I have long argued that a Richmond surge would help raise all boats ( the same would be true if Essendon got into some sustained form ) and the point is shown by a weakish and struggliing St. Kilda copping a much bigger payday than would have been the case without the yellow and black roll up.
Only issue is Essendon play the likes of St Kilda at Ethihad so it's not possible to draw big crowds against the Vic clubs (or interstate teams fir that matter)like we did when we played at the MCG.
I think tonight will be interesting. You wouldn't expect more than 10,000 Melbourne supporters there and it's probably not an ideal timeslot. I think Essendon people will go. My guess is 48,000..

Top tier of the grandstand looks very full so it may still be 20k. But yeah, shame about the weather on a day they should have had a decent crowd.

Similar weather in a game last year against the Dogs they got 13,505.
Having seen more of the stadium it looks fairly full up top and in the top tier of the members. Could be a few in standing room as well. I'd say about 15-18k.

The Swans do have big drawing home games vs Essendon, Carlton, Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn as well as games against Geelong and St. Kilda. They should be expecting 25-30k to those games at the SCG and probably 40-50k against Collingwood & Hawthorn at ANZ.

Similar weather in a game last year against the Dogs they got 13,505.
Having seen more of the stadium it looks fairly full up top and in the top tier of the members. Could be a few in standing room as well. I'd say about 15-18k.

The Swans do have big drawing home games vs Essendon, Carlton, Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn as well as games against Geelong and St. Kilda. They should be expecting 25-30k to those games at the SCG and probably 40-50k against Collingwood & Hawthorn at ANZ.

That place is worse than the toilet from Trainspotting, footy shouldn't be played there.

That place is worse than the toilet from Trainspotting, footy shouldn't be played there.

Hopefully once the contract runs out the AFL never return. Swans will have the SCG at capacity close to 50,000 and GWS don't need any more than 25,000 at Skoda.

Slightly off topic but last night i noticed the Tiges crammed the city end of the G & as for as long as i can remember, they have occupied the Pund Rd end. What's the reason for this?

Slightly off topic but last night i noticed the Tiges crammed the city end of the G & as for as long as i can remember, they have occupied the Pund Rd end. What's the reason for this?

Away game I'd say. Looked great at that end though with the stands packed. Much like the Cats/Hawks, Punt Road end only 60% full, City end packed.

St.Kilda's home game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's a typical crowd for a local vs interstate soccer final?

I found some victory stats for this season...
Highest VS lowest.
42,032 - Rnd 1 vs Melbourne Heart » 6,238 - Rnd 16 vs Central Coast Mariners
The 6,238 game wasnt played in Melbourne. Was a game at York Park in Tassie. Lowest crowd was 17k at AAMI Park in Round 26

Victory have average 23,089 this season with 22,904 at Docklands on Friday Night which was seen as a poor crowd as there last few finals have seen crowds of 35k+ however this was the first season that didnt involve either Adelaide or Sydney who are big crowd pullers when playing in Melbourne

Victory averaged 28k at Docklands this season playing games too so did knock off a few thousand people with both going head to head.

Round Crowds so far:

St.Kilda vs Richmond: 56,783
Western Bulldogs vs Fremantle: 19,210
Sydney vs Gold Coast Suns: 20,372
Brisbane Lions vs Adelaide: 21,308
Port Adelaide vs GWS Giants: 25,122
Essendon vs Melbourne: 51,153

Great turnouts for pretty much all games. Going into the season the Doggies wouldn't have expected to pull over 20k vs interstate clubs but considering how well they played last week I think 19k is slightly disappointing, but tonights two games as well as last night's were terrific.

If Cats/Roos gets 42k, Blues/Pies 90k and Eagles/Hawks 40k, this round will tally higher than last weeks and the league average will stay above 40k after two rounds.

They're pretty reasonable predictions so that's a great sign if it happens :thumbsu:

Round Crowds so far:

St.Kilda vs Richmond: 56,783
Western Bulldogs vs Fremantle: 19,210
Sydney vs Gold Coast Suns: 20,372
Brisbane Lions vs Adelaide: 21,308
Port Adelaide vs GWS Giants: 25,122
Essendon vs Melbourne: 51,153

Great turnouts for pretty much all games. Going into the season the Doggies wouldn't have expected to pull over 20k vs interstate clubs but considering how well they played last week I think 19k is slightly disappointing, but tonights two games as well as last night's were terrific.

If Cats/Roos gets 42k, Blues/Pies 90k and Eagles/Hawks 40k, this round will tally higher than last weeks and the league average will stay above 40k after two rounds.

They're pretty reasonable predictions so that's a great sign if it happens :thumbsu:

Agree that the Essendon and Port crowds were fantastic. There's only about half a dozen non-showdown Port crowds better than that from the last 5 seasons. To get that against GWS is hopefully an indication that their crowds are going to be way up this year.

Brisbane's was also encouraging as last year only their home games against Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond were bigger than yesterday's crowd.

I think we're going to fall short of last week's total as I don't think Cats/Roos will reach 42K (they've only managed that once at Docklands and 5 times anywhere), and it's bloody hard to get a 90,000 crowd. It's only been done once on a non public holiday and that took a pretty exceptional set of circumstances. Still, I hope I'm wrong about both of those games.

I think they're all very reasonable crowds given the matchups and the weather in some places. Easily could have been a couple of 10-15k turnouts under different circumstances. Good job by all.

Returning to the G for a home game still makes my heart sink a little. Curse that 25 year contract.

Just a comment - going to so many Port games over the last decade, there were definitely closer to 30k than 25k there last night.
SANFL gets a cheque from AFL clubs if they don't reach a certain crowd figure so there is a reason to underreport. Last season at AAMI too.

As it was an away game we were up that end and gotta say the whole city end and i mean bottom level, mid level and top level Q were packed to the rafters....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back