2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

If someone could be arsed doing an analysis that accounted for that, you find that North are a couple of pegs below the dogs.

I'm not going to be doing one! In fairness though it should be said, a few of those matches over the years were against the bigger Vic clubs. For example, they've played Richmond in Hobart twice and even Collingwood in Canberra once.

Crowd: 12,616 at Ikon Park fair enough but can the AFL media running dogs STOP proclaiming that games are SOLD Out when there are clearly plenty of places available?

Princes Park could have fitted in another 3 - 4000 today as there was plenty of standing room still vacant!

Crowd: 12,616 at Ikon Park fair enough but can the AFL media running dogs STOP proclaiming that games are SOLD Out when there are clearly plenty of places available?

Princes Park could have fitted in another 3 - 4000 today as there was plenty of standing room still vacant!
Were those tickets being sold though? I havent read anywhere that a crowd of 16,000 was possible.

51,455 people attended the 2023 #AFLW Finals at an average of 5,717 per match. This is up 48% on the 2022 #AFLW finals (34,580 at 3,842).

Last year only 1 final outside the granny made 5k, and only 3 made 4k. In the 2023 series only one match outside the decider failed to hit 4k, while four matches topped 5k.

This year series included.
  • 2 matches at Norwood Oval (8,897, 4,449 ave)
  • 1 match at Heritage Bank St (2,710)
  • 1 match at GMBHA Stadium (6,678)
  • 1 match at Brrighton Homes Arena (4,903)
  • 4 matches at Ikon Park (28,267, ave 7,067)
  • - excluding Grand Final (15,651, ave 5,217)
Crowd data: http://womens.afl

Numbers were pretty good everywhere except for Melbourne

It is absurd that this isn't played in prime time

Not sure if the time is set, but lucky it was played in Melbourne. December in every other capital would be a tough ask in the middle of the afternoon. It was only 25 in Perth yesterday, but it was pretty damn hot in the sun.

Sunday #AFLW Grand Final
Roos/Lions

7 metro 175,000
Melb 63k Bri 41k

Foxfooty
AFLW Grand Final 82,000
Post game 42,000
Pre game 29,000

FTA Regionals as well as Fox, Seven and AFL streams N/A

Data: Oztam
The AFL would be happy with those figures esp for a lovely weather wise Sunday Afternoon after a very dirty wet week.

By comparison the Australian Open Golf did not even make it into the top 20 TV shows on Sunday.

The AFLW GF also beat the WBBL with 170,000 and the Matilda's on 160,000 on FTA TV.

Last edited:
yeah, not sure why it isnt at night. 7pm would be ideal as it is cooler and prime time to catch more eyeballs.

Trust the product and the girls.

I watched a little of the WBBL final, only because it was at night.

The whole marketing this year by the AFL was around the W doesn't want to emulate the men's game, but from what I saw, the day grand final, presentation, auskick kids, everything was an exact carbon copy of the AFL men's grand final.

They should be using the women's game to try a few new things, give it a point of difference.

Overall over 400k is pretty good ratings I think. Interesting that qld and nsw rated higher than s.a and w.a

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The WBBL and AFLW grand final will both land at averages between 450K and 500K depending on Kayo and AFL streams (currently on 385K and 377K respectively) with the distinct disadvantage to the AFL in terms of timeslot.

You have to wonder how it ends up, given channel 7 have the rights to both but pays far more for the AFL overall, that the WBBL gets the prime time spot and the AFLW the mid Sunday arvo spot

Is it that the CA negotiated for it and the AFL put no emphasis on it? Is it because, at one point, the WBBL was rating higher?

The AFL should really be ensuring this is primetime in the future

The WBBL and AFLW grand final will both land at averages between 450K and 500K depending on Kayo and AFL streams (currently on 385K and 377K respectively) with the distinct disadvantage to the AFL in terms of timeslot.

You have to wonder how it ends up, given channel 7 have the rights to both but pays far more for the AFL overall, that the WBBL gets the prime time spot and the AFLW the mid Sunday arvo spot

Is it that the CA negotiated for it and the AFL put no emphasis on it? Is it because, at one point, the WBBL was rating higher?

It would be an afl decision wouldn't it? The same as the men's grand final, which should be in twilight to capture more viewers.

The whole marketing this year by the AFL was around the W doesn't want to emulate the men's game, but from what I saw, the day grand final, presentation, auskick kids, everything was an exact carbon copy of the AFL men's grand final.

They should be using the women's game to try a few new things, give it a point of difference.

Overall over 400k is pretty good ratings I think. Interesting that qld and nsw rated higher than s.a and w.a

The problem is, people want it to be different, but if it is then they think its discriminatory because its not getting the same treatment as the men.

It's definitely an AFL decision, based on Sunday arvo being the more family friendly timeslot for attendance. Seven's contempt for cricket has been rather well documented, they'd put the WBBL final on 7mate if there was a clash.

Fascinating, If you look at the crowds and the ratings for their respective finals, the WBBL and AFLW were fairly evenly matched.

Both in season 8 of their respective competitions. Both finals featured teams from Brisbane.

AFLW - Sunday, 14.30pm
WBBL - Saturday, 5.20pm

Attendance
AFLW - 12,616 at Ikon Park
WBBL - 12,379 at Adelaide Oval

FTA Ratings (Metro/Regional/BVOD)
AFLW - 295,000
WBBL - 306,000

Fox Ratings
AFLW - 82,000
WBBL - 79,000/69,000

FoxBVOD
WBBL - S1 37,000 S2 46,000
AFLW - TBA

Also note that for if the AFL hasnt really cared about moving its showpiece mens game to prime time, its unlikely to be concerned about the womens game being moved when they actively market the womens game more to kids and familes.

Last edited:
31 degrees in Melbourne today so they were lucky to avoid hot conditions.

As for the underwhelming ratings in Melbourne, you need neutrals watching. North have done a grand job in poaching stars from the Magpies and Bulldogs and you can guarantee that very few of these club's fans would have been watching. I know I didn't.

As for the underwhelming ratings in Melbourne, you need neutrals watching. North have done a grand job in poaching stars from the Magpies and Bulldogs and you can guarantee that very few of these club's fans would have been watching. I know I didn't.
Wow so you're saying it was a higher rating GF than 2021 and 2022 (S6) due to North Melbourne viewers?

I don't think it rates so well that Channel 7 care whether it's in prime time or not.

Fun fact: todays Matildas game is at BC Place in Vancouver.

BC Place has been home to two VFL/AFL post season exhibition matches. On the 9th October 1987, Melbourne played Sydney there in front of a still record non Australian VFL/AFL crowd of 32,789 (this was followed 9 days later by a much more sedate 7,980 for North Melbourne v Melbourne)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back