List Mgmt. 2013 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got some very good late mail on these two late picks, which I will put up on the other thread before 7pm when the thread gets unlocked. I cant do it now as it will get back to other clubs and this bloke will lose his job and I'll lose a mate. And these names we are looking at might surprise and haven't really been linked to us by on BF or in any media Phantoms that i can see. :thumbsu:

Oh Man come on DM me I won't say a thing, Promise

I know very little about these kids other than what appears in here and the media, and the snippets of highlights from various sources.

I have a close acquaintance with links until recently deep inside the club, but all I get out of them is info about admin and the planned leadership restructure, so no trade/draft info there, unfortunately.

All I'll say is that I have a "vibe" that pushing Bontempelli up the order when many people clearly have him in, but also out, of the top 10, gives me a Tim Walsh/Christian Howard/Sam Power feeling. Aish sounds ready, Billings sounds like a typical top pick, Scharenburg(?) and Kade Kol sound like good gets as well. We've tried "project" players under Clayton. Bont may not be a "project" player, but the overall reaction in the media and here when it seems we are considering him at 4 is surprise, and that the club will get kudos for taking him at 4 over seemingly better-credentialed players. Pick 4 is not one for risks, especially with the developing state of our list. He's been described as a "boom or bust" type player. Is that what we really want?

Cant wait for the time honoured cliches to come out of the mouths of recruiters/coaches tonight. There should be drinking game based on these Cliches we'd be blind by the 2nd round.o_O

"Huge upside" will be used a lot (particlualy by us) or Shifter Sheehan pumping all kids up no matter where they fall, or theres always that "elite underage kid" that "dominated school footy" but missed the Champs because of injury.

Heres another eight cliches;
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...l-national-draft/story-fngeflq8-1226765203864

TUNING in for tonight's AFL draft? Or being forced to watch it by that footy-loving roomie or partner of yours? Well, we've got a game you and the whole family can play.
The AFL draft is a sport in itself, where the cliches fly as thick and fast as the selections.
While not all picks are predictable (especially after the first dozen), you can bet some things never change.
Top 8

Commentators will gush over the young talent while club officials will do their best to try to temper fans' expectations on that next big thing.
Here's some things to keep your eyes out for. Tick them off as you watch and see how you go.
1. TEARY MUMS
Families of the likely Top 10 picks have jetted in from across the country to the Gold Coast for tonight's draft. They've been flown there because their son is among the hottest prospects in the country.
They know they're going to be drafted. They've known for quite some time. So there's no reason to cry, is there? Wrong.

203695-e89bedc8-524c-11e3-9447-447e09e048d9.jpg

Cameron Ling was famously chubby when drafted by Geelong recruiter Stephen Wells in 1999.Source: News Corp Australia

2. PUPPY FAT
Looking at pics from drafts of yesteryear, we couldn't help but keep coming back to one thing: who are these pimply-faced porkers and how come an AFL club ever drafted them? We may be exaggerating a tad there, but take a good, hard look at these future stars today. They won't look the same in a few years' time. They'll be mean, lean running machines.
3. AUDIO PROBLEMS
"Sorry, can you repeat that please, North Melbourne?" With microphones perched on tables at all 18 AFL clubs - as well as at the lectern of AFL boss Andrew Demetriou - it's amazing the event runs as smoothly as it does. But you can bet the league boss will have to get at least one club to repeat their desired pick at some stage throughout the night.

DIFFERENT DREAM FOR AFL DRAFT HOPEFUL RORY LOBB2:18
FSD_191113_AFL_PERTH_DRAFT_PKG.jpg

A young Western Australian who once dreamt of playing in the NBA could be this season's AFL draft bolter.

4. SNAP-HAPPY PARTNERS
The draft is all about the players, but don't be surprised to see a few girlfriends getting in on some of the glitz and glamour of the event.
It's a long haul from draft night to the red carpet of the Brownlow Medal, but some young ladies may get their first taste of the AFL footy spotlight on draft night.
5. THRILLED KIDS
No matter how hard they try to sell it, there's probably a hint of disappointment for a lot of draftees forced to pack up and move interstate. But you wouldn't know it from interviews.
"I'm just thrilled to get a chance to play league footy ... I knew I could be drafted anywhere ... I can't wait to get up/over/across there and meet the boys" is a common response.
Occasionally we'd love to see a truthful answer, something along the lines of "I'm a bit of a Mummy's boy to be honest and I'd have liked to have stayed at home," preferably while Brisbane-based Irishman Pearce Hanley shakes his head and tuts disapprovingly in the background while Skyping his family 16,000km away. We can only hope.

203781-1469e9ac-524b-11e3-9447-447e09e048d9.jpg

Brisbane-based Mayoman Pearce Hanley — no fan of mummy’s boys. Picture: Jono Searle.Source: News Corp Australia

6. THE RANDOM SELECTION
There's one every year. The pick that stuns even commentators. You know something's up when no photo appears on screen and Kevin Sheehan, a Jedi Master among the draft, struggles to come up with something about this "relative unknown". Let's hope there's a few on Thursday night as they always spice up the evening.
7. SPECTACULAR HAIRCUTS
As if you didn't feel old enough watching people born in the mid 1990s (!) living the dream while you munch Cheezels and scratch yourself on the couch, there'll always be one or two haircuts on show guaranteed to turn you into your dad.
"What the hell is that!" you'll yell before shaking your head and reminiscing about the glory manly-mullet-filled days of yore.
8. EVERYONE'S A WINNER
It's the one day (or night) of the AFL season when every club wins. Just ask them.
"We were really happy with how our night went ... we think we've managed to fill a few holes on our list, etc, etc," your club will say.
Like point 5, this is another case where just once we'd like someone to tell us that perhaps their night had been less than ideal, maybe...: "Every time we wanted to pick a bloke (insert club of your choice) swooped in and chose that exact player we wanted! What a load of bull---! You wouldn't read about it etc."

A young Western Australian who once dreamt of playing in the NBA could be this season's AFL draft bolter.

I know very little about these kids other than what appears in here and the media, and the snippets of highlights from various sources.

I have a close acquaintance with links until recently deep inside the club, but all I get out of them is info about admin and the planned leadership restructure, so no trade/draft info there, unfortunately.

All I'll say is that I have a "vibe" that pushing Bontempelli up the order when many people clearly have him in, but also out, of the top 10, gives me a Tim Walsh/Christian Howard/Sam Power feeling. Aish sounds ready, Billings sounds like a typical top pick, Scharenburg(?) and Kade Kol sound like good gets as well. We've tried "project" players under Clayton. Bont may not be a "project" player, but the overall reaction in the media and here when it seems we are considering him at 4 is surprise, and that the club will get kudos for taking him at 4 over seemingly better-credentialed players. Pick 4 is not one for risks, especially with the developing state of our list. He's been described as a "boom or bust" type player. Is that what we really want?

he's very unlikely to be a boom or bust player. has been in first round calculations since july and its highly likely it's us at 4 or brissy at 7. It's the most overblown reach i've ever heard of.

His year was far more impressive than Aish's and he wins his own pill and has added versatility that we like.

Scharenburg failed to transition to midfield this year and we're hearing about dodgy interviews. You don't spend pick 4 on a defender imo.

Billing probably won't get to us.

Kade Kol very speculative re: versatility, has far less inside game than the Bonts.

In one year Bonts played 4 different positions. 3 well and 1 very well. His numbers were elite as an inside mid, he was fantastic against good opposition in one of the champs games and the others he did good things but was played at half back which somewhat lowered his numbers.

Pendlebury was a similar style reach for the pies and worked out. So if people are allowed to bring up the "this smells Howardy" thing i'm allowed to say "yay, this is such a good Pendlebury-like pick up"

I've got some very good late mail on these two late picks, which I will put up on the other thread before 7pm when the thread gets unlocked. I cant do it now as it will get back to other clubs and this bloke will lose his job and I'll lose a mate. And these names we are looking at might surprise and haven't really been linked to us by on BF or in any media Phantoms that i can see. :thumbsu:

Ummmmm. Why would you put something on a public noticeboard if the club you follow doesn't want it in the public forum and it could have a negative impact on the club and your mate who could lose his job?

Enjoy your late mail, tell your mate to shut up and post whatever you know after its a done deal?

How do you know a random bigfooty poster doesn't work for Essendon and is looking for any insight they can find?

I love bigfooty

I don't get why people, when they have genuine info if you do, feel the need to be bigfooty hero's.

If you post prior to these selections, and its genuine, you are an utter fool. Only downside.

Fair go GrandBlue and fronkalicious - perhaps you should re-read what TBOW actually wrote before you bag him out.

I think that the point being made was that Bontempelli has a huge potential upside - seemingly much higher potential for improvement than most if not all potential first round picks. Given that he seems very likely to work hard to realise some or all of that potential, he really isn't the huge risk that some are making him out to be.

TBOW didn't mention the South Aussie pair at all.
Thanks for the backup Mutt, but it wasn't being taken personally.

And you're right, the point I'm making is that the club may well determine that Bonts is the least risky pick of the lot because what they have learned about his character makes them believe he is best placed to live up to the potential that all these highly rated kids possess.

Cant wait for the time honoured cliches to come out of the mouths of recruiters/coaches tonight. There should be drinking game based on these Cliches we'd be blind by the 2nd round.o_O

...or my personal favorite that I expect to see get trotted out with our later selections "we are thrilled to get (player X) at this selection as we expected him to go well inside the top 20." Its a perennial.

Ummmmm. Why would you put something on a public noticeboard if the club you follow doesn't want it in the public forum and it could have a negative impact on the club and your mate who could lose his job?

Enjoy your late mail, tell your mate to shut up and post whatever you know after its a done deal?

How do you know a random bigfooty poster doesn't work for Essendon and is looking for any insight they can find?

I love bigfooty

I don't get why people, when they have genuine info if you do, feel the need to be bigfooty hero's.

If you post prior to these selections, and its genuine, you are an utter fool. Only downside.

Hey. Pull up. That's why I'm posting it a few mins before the draft, you zero. It's not going to affect anyone by then but it will during the day today. Hopefully you will ignore it.

he's very unlikely to be a boom or bust player. has been in first round calculations since july and its highly likely it's us at 4 or brissy at 7. It's the most overblown reach i've ever heard of.

His year was far more impressive than Aish's and he wins his own pill and has added versatility that we like.

Where's the overblown reach?

The fact we were considering him at 4 was reported as a surprise in the Age and the Hun. I'm not saying the kids a dud, but I have to have some faith in the media reporting of people such as Emma Quayle, etc. And the same draft experts quoted at least one recruiter as saying he was the 17th best kid in the draft, with the potential to be amongst the best. They've all got potential, I know, but his elite numbers were apparently countered with inconsistency and low numbers in some games. This may be true of all of them, but a few weeks back he was being rated outside the top 10 and potentially a bolter into it, not a top-10 lock.

And as for the more impressive year than Aish... you are aware that Bontempelli played against fellow schoolboys, while Aish played senior SANFL, right?.

If he works out that's great. All I'm asking is, is he worth that risk, for a list like ours? Upside is great, but lots of top picks with upside have been busts.

Jake Needham?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what time is the actual draft start?

Wont be long after 7 (Vic time), I don't think. Demetriou will speak, someone from Foxtel will do an intro, then it'll probably get underway.

The fact we were considering him at 4 was reported as a surprise in the Age and the Hun. I'm not saying the kids a dud, but I have to have some faith in the media reporting of people such as Emma Quayle, etc. And the same draft experts quoted at least one recruiter as saying he was the 17th best kid in the draft, with the potential to be amongst the best. They've all got potential, I know, but his elite numbers were apparently countered with inconsistency and low numbers in some games. This may be true of all of them, but a few weeks back he was being rated outside the top 10 and potentially a bolter into it, not a top-10 lock.

And as for the more impressive year than Aish... you are aware that Bontempelli played against fellow schoolboys, while Aish played senior SANFL, right?.

If he works out that's great. All I'm asking is, is he worth that risk, for a list like ours? Upside is great, but lots of top picks with upside have been busts.

first of all, the age and the hun chase their tails all year. You can see from the late changes every year they have the vaguest idea, similar to people on BF and then they get a new gauge of where the players sit come draft time. He was also considered a chance at Collingwood at 6 several weeks ago. What was CONSIDERED a few weeks ago means didley squat. What matters is what the recruiters think.

Yeah i do know Aish played SANFL and he had a vanilla year which he'll admit and didn't take his game forward from last year. Yes i do accept his excuses. On the other hand Bonts was dominant in the TAC which is also a decent gauge and he came from nowhere and improved his game and flexibility as the year progressed.

re: Bonts inconsistency, his numbers have altered due to where he's been played. His end of season games all on the footy were quite consistent.

The risk is overstated. The worst he'll be is an ok player on the evidence of his youth or an injury prone kid. Its the same for a lot of them.

Their championships mirrored each other. Aish had a vanilla sanfl where he didnt expand his game while Bonts continually got better and managed to dominate the TAC in a variety of positions

I think in the end we go with Aish. Just my gut. He's too good right now. Too what we need also.

Bontempelli was listed in a poll back in June by GrandBlue on this thread
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...n-please-keep-trade-period-talk-here.1012344/
as one of the 8 possible draftees for our selection (he excluded Aish and Boyd, who were considered by many to be locks at #1 and #2.) I don't recall anyone complaining about Bontempelli being a possible top 10 pick back then. Aish is now also not considered by many to be the best choice at #2 - and neither is Kelly.

Apart from Boyd, opinions are very divided in the footy community about the composition and order of the top 10. I don't consider Bontempelli to be a reach at #4 or even a gamble and neither do many good judges.

This year more than most, picks 3 onwards seems to be very dependent on who you read and whose opinion you value - there is almost no consensus and few if any of us on here can boast a truly well informed, unbiased opinion.

Private message pllllleeeeeeaaaaasssssseeee :p

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Their championships mirrored each other. Aish had a vanilla sanfl where he didnt expand his game while Bonts continually got better and managed to dominate the TAC in a variety of positions
Ja, and that is the rub - do we go for performance or rate of improvement?

Ward & Macrae were taken on rate of improvement and end of season form, but then again so was Everitt.

Sam Power & Cale Morton we dominant tall midfielders as juniors.

Aish & Billings have been restricted by injury this year (ditto Acres), how is this weighted?

So many variables, and most BF heroes will make an assessment based on a few rumours and a 3-5 minute highlights video. Heck, my highlights video would look impressive as a 35 year old hack.

first of all, the age and the hun chase their tails all year. You can see from the late changes every year they have the vaguest idea, similar to people on BF and then they get a new gauge of where the players sit come draft time. He was also considered a chance at Collingwood at 6 several weeks ago. What was CONSIDERED a few weeks ago means didley squat. What matters is what the recruiters think.

Yeah i do know Aish played SANFL and he had a vanilla year which he'll admit and didn't take his game forward from last year. Yes i do accept his excuses. On the other hand Bonts was dominant in the TAC which is also a decent gauge and he came from nowhere and improved his game and flexibility as the year progressed.

re: Bonts inconsistency, his numbers have altered due to where he's been played. His end of season games all on the footy were quite consistent.

The risk is overstated. The worst he'll be is an ok player on the evidence of his youth or an injury prone kid. Its the same for a lot of them.

Ok, most of that's fair enough, you obviously have seen far more of them than I have.

The only comment I will take issue with is that some of the journos "have the vaguest idea, similar to people on BF". I have a mate who is a sub-editor at the Age, and knows Emma Q well. Do you know how much footy EQ watches each year? How many young footballers/recruiters/coaches etc she talks to? I assume one or two of the Hun guys may do a lot of the same (possibly not as much though on an individual basis). I think she has more than a vague idea, and certainly more than 99% of posters on BF. Yes, she revises her list closer to the draft, as I suspect does every person who has watched junior footballers throughout the year. What the recruiters think usually also has a bearing on her ratings. But she (and I'm not meaning to say she's the only one, just the one whose articles I read the most), must have a fair standing in the junior football watching fraternity, otherwise she wouldn't be so immersed in it, and so respected by the people who do call the shots on draft day.

Anyway, let's hope whoever we get tonight turns into at least an ok player, but hopefully a good player, who will complement the young list we are slowly building.

Enjoy your draft evening Zgope1!

Ward & Macrae were taken on rate of improvement and end of season form, but then again so was Everitt.

Aish & Billings have been restricted by injury this year (ditto Acres), how is this weighted?

So many variables, and most BF heroes will make an assessment based on a few rumours and a 3-5 minute highlights video. Heck, my highlights video would look impressive as a 35 year old hack.

You had me right up to this point..."Heck, my highlights video would look impressive as a 35 year old hack."

Thanks Mofra, I forgot to mention Everitt, he was the one in the back of my mind with my earlier post. A tall utility who could have been anything. Played one very good game for us, a few ok ones, and lots of ordinary ones. Was it his fault? Was it the club's development of him, or position placement during matches? Either way, he sounded great on draft day. Now he's a three club player with not much to show so far as career highlights. I'd take a Ward/Smith/Libba over an Everitt/Power/Walsh everytime. Hopefully Bontempelli/Aish/KK/Scharenburg/whoever is the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back