Universal Love 2014 on the Collingwood BigFooty board (Your ideas, dreams, aspirations ...)

Remove this Banner Ad

76, thanks for answering. I won't quote your whole post.

My point with pies fans copping crap is in general society ...

As much as Swooop and Quicky and me would love to help, that's kind of outside of our jurisdiction :p

Seriously but, as a club we do play up to that. We had "It's us against them" as a membership campaign slogan recently. As a supporter base we love that we're loathed. Would you rather we were like one of those clubs that opposition supporters don't give two hoots about?

Me neither.

Last edited:
I'll go on record as saying I like having separate threads for different topics, whether that be individual player performances, rumours, back line or forward line structure etc... I enjoy being able to read about one player's particular rumours that I am not up to speed on, without having to wade through every other rumour that pops it's head up. It get's too tangled.

At the end of the day, it's whatever is easier for the mods I guess, you guys do a great job. But I always see people whinging about the number of threads and I just thought I'd mention I don't mind it.

Folks,

The intraclubs have started. Soon we'll have the preseason comp and we'll get to see the club's new acquisitions having a crack against the big boys. Then it'll be the season proper ... that can't come soon enough! And before we know it we'll be up to the finals, then the Grand Final ... but that's getting ahead of things a little.

Now the calendar has flipped over to 2014 it's time to give some thought to the season ahead here on the BigFooty Collingwood board.

Firstly we need to start things off with a few community service announcements.

(1) We're all here to have a bit of fun and have a relaxing chat about the footy. The general standards of civility have been up and down a bit lately. Some folks have been coming on here lately to have a chat and they get abused for their opinions. It stops being fun very quickly when that happens. The mods are going to start clamping down on any abuse on here towards fellow posters and issue infractions (cards). You're welcome to argue and debate - that's encouraged. But please respect other people's opinions, no need to get personal or abusive. A new supporter should be free to come on here and say they've got their favourite player's number 38 or 44 or whatever on their jumper and not get their head bitten off. We've all been that new supporter learning the game, we all know what it's like.

(2) Trolls have never really been a problem for the board. Really. The problem has always been with people feeding trolls. If you get busted feeding trolls then getting infracted will be the least of your worries - 76 will curse your soul, Quicky will burn an effigy of you, Swooop will stick rusty needles into a voodoo doll for you, and your fellow posters will point their finger at you and say not very nice things about you under their collective breath. If you see a troll report them and ignore them please.

(3) As a board we're sometimes not as welcoming of new posters as what we could be. We've all been new posters at some stage, we all know what it's like. Just because somebody has got a low post count that's no need to sink the boot into them. Buy them a beer, bake them some scones, exchange rose grafting tips, be cheesy, give them a creepy smile, ... do whatever people do when they welcome new neighbours. Yeah, sometimes trolls try to cause mischief by creating new alias accounts and come on here ... but that's only a problem if people feed them. If you see a troll, report them and ignore them please.

(4) We welcome opposition posters on here. They're allowed to participate in the discussion. It's a key point of difference between BigFooty Collingwood and the other Collingwood fan sites. It helps with our game previews, our trading, understanding the draft etc, etc to be able to engage with opposition posters. Yeah, sure, on very rare occasions opposition posters come on here to troll ... but that's only ever a problem if people feed them (or more commonly, abuse them and they retaliate ... By the way, we're wise to people trying to suck oppo posters into retaliating to try to get us to ban them). If you see a troll then report them and ignore them please. If they are a genuine troll then that'll ensure that us mods can give them maximum punishment.

(5) If you have deep primal instincts to protect the honour of your tribe by blasting the bejesus out of any opposition supporter who accidentally wanders onto the firing range without paying their dues ... perhaps you should consider joining a medieval re-enactment club or something? Please don't bring your aggression here. This should be a fun and relaxing place. If an opposition twit comes on here and trash talks about our boot studder ... so what??? The biggest insult you can give someone is to ignore them. Report it and we'll push one of our coloured buttons and make everything sweet like honey.

(6) Everybody has their own unique idea about what it means to be a Collingwood supporter. For some it's about passionately cheering on the club they love - and that's totally cool. For others it's about passionately critiquing the club they love - and that's totally cool too. Every Collingwood supporter is different and has different ideas about what it means to be a supporter. Please be respectful of that.

OK, so enough of the community service announcements sermon and onto the fun stuff.

Any thoughts about how we can make the board a better place in 2014? Thoughts about any new board projects?

@TradeDraft are you up for hosting the third annual "TradeDraft's random thoughts" thread?.

@the mighty T is chomping at the bit to get the podcasts going again.

Anybody keen to get a player sponsorship up and going?

Any other ideas about how the board is running, or could be run?

Your ideas, dreams and aspirations ...?

Cheers,

Mods

3. N/A to Blewboy supporters

4. N/A to Blewboy supporters

We get trolled quite regularly it's a shame some see it as oppo fans just engaging us in convo. Once again last pre season we got trolled by WC supporters & we thanked them for it.

I like you guys, think you do a great job but this board is becoming more sterile/bland & boring to me as time goes on & yes I'm sick of oppo supporters trolling us & getting away with it. Not only that how much do we have to put up with some Pies posters that abuse our own. So i guess it's good you are going to crack down on them.

Rewards should be encouraged for trolling Blewboy supporters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks JMac we've had numerous late night mod chats about the best way to run Pre Game, amatchday and Post Match threads.

I doubt there's a definite right and wrong way to do these.

Certainly different people have different ideas, but there seems general consensus that multiple threads on the same, or very similar topic are a pain in the arse.

It seems to work very well having a single Prematch thread which by and large closes off when the Matchday thread is fired up around midnight before game day.

The Matchday thread then takes over in its own right.

But when the final siren blows, that's when things tend to go in all directions.

The Matchday thread lives on ( possibly we should close it off then ??) as it can pull the rug from under the other Post game threads.

Obviously there's so many separate things to chat about post match that to have multiple post game topic threads is probably a good way to go.

We did try at one stage to have a single post match thread and merged all post game threads into there in 2011 but that didn't work too well at all.

But probably where post game threads are on the same topic they probably are best merged, as we do always get multiple requests to merge in these instances.
Personally multiple threads discussing the same thing does my head in big time :mad:

It's great firing up the next Changes and Prematch Discussion thread pretty soon post game esp after a loss to start focussing to next week.

Matty has been doing a great job with Matchday threads. Snoop's player analysis and the Votes thread are always deserving of individual threads I think we'd all agree?

Any ideas how to improve the current format?

Thanks for your detailed reply Swoop. I think that closing the match day thread after the siren is a good idea and should then be replaced with a post game/rant thread. I don't have a problem with individual threads that discuss specific aspects of the game, such as coaching strategies or individual player performances. The only real issue I have are threads created purely to rant about the disappointment of losing. I don't envy your job!

TradeDraft are you up for hosting the third annual "TradeDraft's random thoughts" thread?.

Do you want me to start one for the 2014 Season?

[Mod Edit] Press 'Like' on this post if you want TD to start a "TD's 2014 Random Thoughts" thread :thumbsu:

Last edited by a moderator:
We get trolled quite regularly ...

How often would you say we get trolled?

...it's a shame some see it as oppo fans just engaging us in convo.

And it's a shame that some see oppo fans who are just engaging in convo as trolling <shrug>

Once again last pre season we got trolled by WC supporters & we thanked them for it.

I don't remember the details, but did they come back?

Not accusing you of this OA ...but often the people who complain about trolls are the same people who feed them. It's crazy - it's like feeding the seagulls and then complaining about the number of seagulls! <exasperation>

I like you guys,...

And we like you

think you do a great job but this board is becoming more sterile/bland & boring to me as time goes on ...

Serious question: what is causing that? How do you think we could improve things?

...& yes I'm sick of oppo supporters trolling us & getting away with it.

As long as they don't come back - does it matter?

One weapon we have at our disposal is the ability to ban posters from accessing our board. When we give that out (and it happens), nobody around would ever know about it. The poster doesn't show up as "banned" or anything. But they never come back.

Not only that how much do we have to put up with some Pies posters,

Please PM us if you want to name and shame another poster.

How often would you say we get trolled?

And it's a shame that some see oppo fans who are just engaging in convo as trolling <shrug>

I don't remember the details, but did they come back?

Not accusing you of this OA ...but often the people who complain about trolls are the same people who feed them. It's crazy - it's like feeding the seagulls and then complaining about the number of seagulls! <exasperation>

And we like you

Serious question: what is causing that? How do you think we could improve things?

As long as they don't come back - does it matter?

One weapon we have at our disposal is the ability to ban posters from accessing our board. When we give that out (and it happens), nobody around would ever know about it. The poster doesn't show up as "banned" or anything. But they never come back.

Please PM us if you want to name and shame another poster.

Obviously we see things differently as we have discussed in the past, so the only one I can respond to is "sterile/bland".
Which we've also discussed before, you say the moderation hasn't changed, i say the freedom we had 12 months ago isn't the same.

A lot more posts appear to be deleted/less tolerance for going off topic/less tolerance for how "far we can go" in our posting.
That equals more boring to me.

The only thing I would like is for people to not go so overboard over every little thing. Just chill out and take it easy, and keep the criticism constructive, please. You make this place almost unbearable for other people, and it plays a part in posters like me not wanting to discuss topics with others. This problem has steadily gotten worse over the past few years. It's just so cringeworthy and annoying.

Could we have one rant thread (or maybe we already do and I just haven't noticed it), so people can let out their emotions in there and other people can avoid it? I don't come here to read overly emotional, doomsday, end of the world, the sky is falling type abuse directed at our club after every loss, so it would be good if I could avoid those threads and not have other more positive threads hijacked into rant threads. It's not fun at all, and it ruins my enjoyment of posting on this board. I have no problem with constructive criticism, but quite often it isn't constructive.

And I guess I'm guilty of "feeding the trolls", but I kind of like messing with them.:p I'll try to stop it though.

The only thing I would like is for people to not go so overboard over every little thing. Just chill out and take it easy, and keep the criticism constructive, please. You make this place almost unbearable for other people, and it plays a part in posters like me not wanting to discuss topics with others. This problem has steadily gotten worse over the past few years. It's just so cringeworthy and annoying.

Could we have one rant thread (or maybe we already do and I just haven't noticed it), so people can let out their emotions in there and other people can avoid it? I don't come here to read overly emotional, doomsday, end of the world, the sky is falling type abuse directed at our club after every loss, so it would be good if I could avoid those threads and not have other more positive threads hijacked into rant threads. It's not fun at all, and it ruins my enjoyment of posting on this board. I have no problem with constructive criticism, but quite often it isn't constructive.

And I guess I'm guilty of "feeding the trolls", but I kind of like messing with them.:p I'll try to stop it though.
As long as people put roast prefixes on their threads, it should be fine.

Just avoid roast threads.

I think we need a "rant" tag because not all roast threads are unconstructive.
Who's to say rant prefix won't all be nonconstructive?

It would be the same situation as a roast prefix imo. Just look at the OP, and make a decision whether or not you want to subscribe to the thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's to say rant prefix won't all be nonconstructive?

It would be the same situation as a roast prefix imo. Just look at the OP, and make a decision whether or not you want to subscribe to the thread.
I think there's a difference between a roast and a rant thread. A roast thread could offer solutions to the problem, while a rant thread would just be ranting about the problem.

Read every roast OP and decipher whether it's constructive or not? Ain't nobody got time for dat.:p I think separate tags could work, or just contain it to one thread.

This is definitely a more recent problem. Pre-2010, we would rarely have people go into complete meltdown mode, and we would actually mock the Carlton board for doing that, and now we've become that. It's mostly new-ish posters that do it. I think after we had success, people have become more negative whenever we lose.

I think there's a difference between a roast and a rant thread. A roast thread could offer solutions to the problem, while a rant thread would just be ranting about the problem.

Read every roast OP and decipher whether it's constructive or not? Ain't nobody got time for dat.:p I think separate tags could work, or just contain it to one thread.

This is definitely a more recent problem. Pre-2010, we would rarely have people go into complete meltdown mode, and we would actually mock the Carlton board for doing that, and now we've become that. It's mostly new-ish posters that do it. I think after we had success, people have become more negative whenever we lose.
I've never related roast threads with "offering solutions", in the end, just like any other thread, it becomes a part of discussion. I can understand what you're talking about, but I don't think the problem will be fixed by adding a rant prefix.

What I will suggest is maybe create a rant megathread. Where someone can just vent off anger, without copping criticism. I'm quite keen on this idea, actually.

Oops, just saw you suggested the same idea :p

Just the one rant/roast thread after losses. Rarely are they constructive and usually are created by the same negative type people that you dont hear from unless we lose.

Just merge them all into the one and let them rant and roast to each other, so as not to clog up the main page.

looking fwd to discussing hot chips, spas and tissues :thumbsu:
you forgot Twisties
clear.png

Obviously we see things differently as we have discussed in the past, so the only one I can respond to is "sterile/bland".

I'd be interested in your thoughts about how often you think we get trolled?

Which we've also discussed before, you say the moderation hasn't changed, i say the freedom we had 12 months ago isn't the same.

A lot more posts appear to be deleted/less tolerance for going off topic/less tolerance for how "far we can go" in our posting.
That equals more boring to me.

Thanks, appreciate those thoughts :thumbsu:

I think we're generally more tolerant of going off-topic in the off-season - we can afford to do that when the traffic is lower and there's not much footy going on to talk about :(

But our lack of tolerance to abusive stuff remains the same. Nobody likes to be abused, it's not healthy for the board, so we take a zero tolerance approach to it. We've had a few incidents in this off-season when we've had to delete posts en-mass because they'd degenerated into abuse. We also deleted a bunch of posts en-mass for containing images that weren't appropriate in mixed company.

Often the posts we delete are perfectly fine, we don't have a problem with them - except that they quote another post that contains inappropriate content.

We try to be respectful of people's content and edit things out when we can. Sometimes we're in a situation where we don't have the time or the ability to do that. (Eg: right now I am writing this on my iPhone in an airport waiting lounge. I have less than 20% battery left and I'm looking around for a recharging point)

Things generally need to stay more on-topic when there's more traffic around which will happen in the coming weeks when the footy's back (can't wait!)

Anyway, thanks again for your feedback. What I've written here is just to provide a bit of insight into why things the way they are. We'll give your feedback some thought and see what we can do.

I'd be interested in your thoughts about how often you think we get trolled?

I guess it would be once or twice a month, it's irrelevant really though, you say it's a subjective thing, which it is to some degree, I don't see it that way as much as you obviously. What i hate more is when a "Duritz" type known troll comes onto our board & subtly trolls us then it goes on for a few pages before anything is done.

You can tell by the opening gambit which way they want to go. In fact it's stands out like DOGS BALLS, obviously you see it different.

I as a Pies supporter am sick of us taking one up the clacker while main board & team boards wouldn't put up with it but we say " we have an open policy so feel free to ridicule our club/past champions & current players."

It's how I've seen it for a long while & you know that. This is just getting circular, I shouldn't have responded to this thread.

I found a recharging socket :)

I shouldn't have responded to this thread.

Not at all, we appreciate the feedback :thumbsu:

I guess it would be once or twice a month, ...

Yeah, that sounds about right. It'd be great to be troll-free, but in practice that's not going to happen. Us mods do put a lot work into keeping those numbers as low as possible.

...it's irrelevant really though, you say it's a subjective thing, which it is to some degree, I don't see it that way as much as you obviously. What i hate more is when a "Duritz" type known troll comes onto our board & subtly trolls us then it goes on for a few pages before anything is done...

Your point about posters with trolling reputations is well taken. Ideally those posters should be permanently banned from posting on our board - as I said, that does sometimes happen and nobody would be the wiser.

You can tell by the opening gambit which way they want to go. In fact it's stands out like DOGS BALLS, obviously you see it different.

Thanks for raising this, this helps me make an important point.

You're right, there are certain oppo posters who could drop by and ask "Hey, how's the weather?" and all merry hell would break out. Some folks would be telling them to #%*¥!! back to their board and hollering for the mods and..., and,... and,...

And us mods would be put in a position where we're being asked to ban somebody because they asked about the weather??? :confused:

And if we did ban them, and they complain to admin, and admin say to us "Hey, you banned somebody for asking about the weather??? :confused:".

And we'd respond "Well yeah, it was their opening gambit, their intent sticks out like dogs balls"?? Nah, doesn't work that way.

Now, contrast if The troll is ignored and reported what would happen? If they're really a troll then they'll usually escalate it and give us something of substance to hit them with.

It is truly a beautiful thing when things work that way :thumbsu:

Last edited:
I've never related roast threads with "offering solutions", in the end, just like any other thread, it becomes a part of discussion. I can understand what you're talking about, but I don't think the problem will be fixed by adding a rant prefix.

What I will suggest is maybe create a rant megathread. Where someone can just vent off anger, without copping criticism. I'm quite keen on this idea, actually.

Oops, just saw you suggested the same idea :p

All this roasting and ranting. How about a mega "love fest" thread where we can post some positive stuff. :D
Apologies if there is already a thread for that, but sometimes I just want to post how excited I am for this season even though we are probably not one of the top contenders this time. Bring it on! :footy::thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back