NFL 2014 Path to the Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

ClowneyWatch_zps79382adb.jpg

Imo, this is confirmation the Raiders will be trading down with the Lions on draft day...

Lions keep bringing in guys they can’t draft at No. 10

543f9a2734e49915566c5fcb4fca4bad.jpeg

If you assume the Lions aren’t delusional, you can also assume they want to make a move up in the draft.

Because they’re bringing in another top-five caliber prospect for a visit, when they’re picking 10th.

According to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack is visiting the Lions next week.

Along with recent visits from South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney and Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins, it’s clear the Lions aren’t limiting themselves to their present location.

Mack is viewed by many as a more natural fit in a 3-4 defense, but the Lions could use him in a Von Miller-type role as well. Or they could just be establishing a smokescreen in an effort to cut a better deal with someone in the top five.

Overlooked this article at the time but it just says two things.. the Lions need playmakers on D and will want to trade up to get their guy… Rams & Lions are the likely two teams to do this.. Rams will then have two picks within 4 meaning they can always parlay one of these into next season for a first rounder when the depth isn't as great. Wouldn't surprise if the Rams take Lions R1 next year in an ideal flipflop 2nd for 10th.

There was this piece today in MSN

"
Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron knows its the NFL Draft's silly season, one where harsh criticism and extreme opinions concerning the event's prospects consistently trickle into the public conversation, and he's not too worried about his own stock.
In fact, the two-time BCS Championship-winning quarterback is hearing that he's first-round material.
While in studio for ESPN radio personality Paul Finebaum's show, McCarron, who is not even listed as a top-five quarterback prospect on most reputable draft pundits' boards entering the final month of the process, said that "pretty much" every team has told him he's a mid- to late first-round or early second-round selection.
Basically: the pundits have it all wrong.
"(The teams) felt like I could go anywhere from 16-35," McCarron said of the projected draft picks. "I believe that, too. At the same time, I don't have my hopes set on anything. Whatever happens, happens."
McCarron completed nearly 67 percent of his passes for 9,019 yards and 77 touchdowns during his three-year career as the Crimson Tide's starter, throwing just 15 interceptions and finishing second in the Heisman Trophy voting in 2013 behind Florida State's Jameis Winston. Still, though operating a pro-style offense, boasting prototypical positional height and leading coach Nick Saban's offense to 36 wins and just four losses, McCarron's stock has rarely, if ever, received first-round grades from draft experts.
That doesn't concern him, either.
McCarron called the entire process "one big poker game."
"It's not like the GMs are calling these guys and telling them, 'Hey, we're going to draft this guy at this number, so go ahead and put that out there,'" McCarron said. "One thing I've learned about this whole process, it's nothing but a big secret. A lot of times teams will bring in a guy just to bluff another team and make it seem like toward the media that they like this guy and really they have no interest at all in drafting him."
With a limited number of teams searching for a solution under center -- with few exceptions in recent years, a first-round selection at quarterback means competing for the starting job almost immediately -- McCarron will be up against the likes of Johnny Manziel (Texas A&M), Blake Bortles (UCF), Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville) and Derek Carr (Fresno State), among others) to be one of the first quarterbacks chosen. And given the lack of QB needs among the second-half picks of the first round (Nos. 16-32), there are two possibilities: either McCarron knows something the experts do not, or he's just as caught up in the draft's rumor mill as everyone else."

Overlooked this article at the time but it just says two things.. the Lions need playmakers on D and will want to trade up to get their guy… Rams & Lions are the likely two teams to do this.. Rams will then have two picks within 4 meaning they can always parlay one of these into next season for a first rounder when the depth isn't as great. Wouldn't surprise if the Rams take Lions R1 next year in an ideal flipflop 2nd for 10th.
They apparently want Watkins. Silly move by my reckoning.

Should stay at 10 and bring in BPA and then take best offensive weapon in rd 2 (of which there will be many)

With all this build up i think i am now looking forward to watching the draft on ESPN more so than i was the Superbowl. Have already arranged for the day off work Friday week. So frustrating having to wait this long but the nfl must be lapping up the coverage.

Word also that McCarron has been told he will go in the late first/early second
McCarron has always had the reputation of being a game "manager" rather a quarterback. I don't believe that's true but even if it were, it's not a bad ability to have if you are slotting into a position of second or third string quarterback.

I wouldn't be throwing firsts at third stringers
I thought McCarron was being "optimistic" about his prospects and suspect this talk of being a first rounder was more self belief.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I go into "comment" overload on draft day..have a mini head implosion

My favourite NFL day of the year after superbowl.
The most crushing thing is when you wait 12 mnths for draft day and your team trades out of the first

I go into "comment" overload on draft day..have a mini head implosion

My favourite NFL day of the year after superbowl.

Is there usually as much conjecture around the top 20 - 30 picks as there has been this year ? I can't ever remember there being such a clear number 1 pick (Clowney) in the eyes of most of the scouts yet still so up in the air as to how it will all pan out, especially with the Texans number 1 pick. Is there more anticipation this year or is it always like this ?

To put it in perspective Newton at 1 was far from a lock and there was a lot of conjecture about who deserved to be the #1.

About 2 months before DaQuan Bowers was pojected as the first pick by many, and he didn't even get taken in the first round.

Many felt Fairley was the best player and deserved number 1

Some even felt Gabbert should have gone 1 if they needed a QB (haha)

Plus there was a lot of front line talent in guys like Green, Peterson, Quinn and Dareus that people were clamouring for.

Plus Draft week bolters in Miller, Smith and Watt

(What a draft)

Is there usually as much conjecture around the top 20 - 30 picks as there has been this year ? I can't ever remember there being such a clear number 1 pick (Clowney) in the eyes of most of the scouts yet still so up in the air as to how it will all pan out, especially with the Texans number 1 pick. Is there more anticipation this year or is it always like this ?
Clowney most likely would have been number 1 last year but stayed this year and, surprisingly, his draft stock did not fall as a result of his staying at school( compare this to Matt Barkley a top ten touted quarterback who dropped badly).

Manziel was highly rated last year and would have gone high and his stock does not, at this stage, seem to have fallen. The emergence of Bortles and Bridgewater and Carr (to a lesser extent) has muddied the highest quarterback drafted position.

Also so much depends upon whether Houston or St Louis trade their 1st or 2nd pick.

As for picks 20-30, good luck picking that.....

The most crushing thing is when you wait 12 mnths for draft day and your team trades out of the first

Or drafts Tebow...

*cough* *cough* Brandon Graham

But yeah fair enough

Should've gone with Danny Watkins really :p

Graham still has what it takes imo.

Well the year before Tebow we had two firsts again and picked Ayers and Moreno. At least we got Demaryius alongside Tebow (not that exciting at the time though with Bryant still on the board)

Graham stuck in my mind because the next pick was Earl Thomas

Well the year before Tebow we had two firsts again and picked Ayers and Moreno. At least we got Demaryius alongside Tebow (not that exciting at the time though with Bryant still on the board)

Graham stuck in my mind because the next pick was Earl Thomas
Don't worry, Ayers will live up to the draft pick this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back