Draft Review 2014 - Redo the 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Fyfe, Cripps, Danger, Bontempelli, kennedy, cunnington, Pendlebury, beams, Heppell, Ward, Macrae, Dunkley, Higgins, wines all above 185...

I got tired of listing but I’m sure you see that prolific inside mids under 185 are the anomaly.

Also I wouldn’t want to play Ahern, Mitchell and Neale in the same midfield... all of these players bar Mitchell apply no defensive pressure. They are ball winners but there’s more to inside mids than just contested possession.

For me at least for now, Ahern does nowhere enough to justify a regular spot in the midfield for the same role as Mitchell.
It's extraordinary to me that you can list so many inside mids yet omit an AA. Not being precious, but I'm certainly questioning your competence.

If you're offended don't make your list so long. If you make a list so long then include who needs to be included.

Fyfe, Cripps, Danger, Bontempelli, kennedy, cunnington, Pendlebury, beams, Heppell, Ward, Macrae, Dunkley, Higgins, wines all above 185...

I got tired of listing but I’m sure you see that prolific inside mids under 185 are the anomaly.

Also I wouldn’t want to play Ahern, Mitchell and Neale in the same midfield... all of these players bar Mitchell apply no defensive pressure. They are ball winners but there’s more to inside mids than just contested possession.

For me at least for now, Ahern does nowhere enough to justify a regular spot in the midfield for the same role as Mitchell.

I’m not sure why you’ve gone off on this tangent. We were talking 190+ midfielders not 185 which I think is a perfect height for a midfielder, but was referenced as “small” earlier.

Between T.Mitchell, Ablett and S.Mitchell they’ve got 3/7 brownlows, so probably not an “anomaly”.

Ahern is 183, as for his defensive capabilities, probably due to no pre-season and 2 knee reconstructions for the previous 3 years. Increased tank this year and I think we will see this improve greatly. Between Cunnington, Anderson and Jacobs it really is a non issue, we need a naturally high ball winning accumulator in there, not another tackler.

As for Mitchell vs Aherns spot in a side? I’m not even sure where this has come from, are you drunk?

Last edited:

Anomaly???

Contested Possessions in 2018 185cm or smaller:
Mitchell, Neale, Lyons, Viney, Adams, Cunners, Sloane, Ward, M Crouch, Parker and J Selwood - 11 of the top 18 are 185cm or smaller.

Clearances in 2018 185cm or smaller:
Coniglio, Mitchell, Cunners, J Stevens, Shuey, Neale, Lyon Viney, Adams - 9 of the top 18 are 185cm or smaller.

Stoppages in 2018 185cm or smaller:
Shuey, Coniglio, Mitchell, Cunners, Neale, Lyons, Adams, Trelour, M Crouch, Ward - 10 of the top 18 are 185cm or smaller.

It isn't an anomaly - you just listed a bunch of tall midfielders - the stats don't lie.

It's extraordinary to me that you can list so many inside mids yet omit an AA. Not being precious, but I'm certainly questioning your competence.

If you're offended don't make your list so long. If you make a list so long then include who needs to be included.
Not every conversation needs to include Oliver lol relax, you say you're not being precious, I guess you at least realise how you're acting.

Oliver isn't even in this draft LOL why did I have to include him.

I’m not sure why you’ve gone off on this tangent. We were talking 190+ midfielders not 185 which I think is a perfect height for a midfielder, but was referenced as “small” earlier.

Between T.Mitchell, Ablett and S.Mitchell they’ve got 3/7 brownlows, so probably not an “anomaly”.

Ahern is 183, as for his defensive capabilities, probably due to no pre-season and 2 knee reconstructions for the previous 3 years. Increased tank this year and I think we will see this improve greatly. Between Cunnington, Anderson and Jacobs it really is a non issue, we need a naturally high ball winning accumulator in there, not another tackler.

As for Mitchell vs Aherns spot in a side? I’m not even sure where this has come from, are you drunk?
And Nick Roo was considered the "perfect size" for KPF back in his days, what Ablett and Sam Mitchell achieved aren't really relevant in this year and age.

The point of Mitchell and Ahern is that Mitchell's extraodinary skill at winning the contested possessions and clearances that it's alright even if he doesn't apply that much pressure around the contests or that he's not shepherding for his teammates. Ahern is a B/C+ grader at the moment and probably wouldn't be best 22 for half the teams in the AFL.

Who said otherwise ?

If you got my point I wonder why you'd bother responding. My point hadn't yet been made. There was an assumption that you had to be tall to be the most effective mid. My post proved otherwise. Your post just points out what I'd said inversely.

Why so argumentative? I was just agreeing with you haha

And Nick Roo was considered the "perfect size" for KPF back in his days, what Ablett and Sam Mitchell achieved aren't really relevant in this year and age.

The point of Mitchell and Ahern is that Mitchell's extraodinary skill at winning the contested possessions and clearances that it's alright even if he doesn't apply that much pressure around the contests or that he's not shepherding for his teammates. Ahern is a B/C+ grader at the moment and probably wouldn't be best 22 for half the teams in the AFL.

You are definitely drunk.

He is right. At the moment Ahern is a B/C+ player.

That could definitely change this season though

Great,

He's not playing reserves at 10 other clubs though.

The grand final had the likes of Mayne, Duggan, Masten all running around. All of which get far less of the ball than Ahern.

Great,

The grand final had the likes of Mayne, Duggan, Masten all running around. All of which get far less of the ball than Ahern.
Nah he most likely isn't playing reserves at any clubs.

He would be a fringe player at a few of the tops clubs atm though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paul Ahern getting through his 1st pre season. Could be a big mover in 2019 - his 37 touches v the premiers last year is glimpse of why he went so early. Now he reminds me of Watson but a better decision maker.

Hard not to be a better decision maker than Jobe Watson, the man who made literally the worst decision in the history of footy, one that cost him his Brownlow and reputation.

That said, I don't see a huge amount of similarity between Ahern and Watson. Watson was not only physically taller, but played a lot taller even with that. Watson and Ziebell a better comparison.

Ahern and Zach Merrett a better comparison. Both ball magnets with lovely kicks.

Merrett has the runs on the board right now but as Ahern gets a proper fitness base, that gap will rapidly close.

Hard not to be a better decision maker than Jobe Watson, the man who made literally the worst decision in the history of footy, one that cost him his Brownlow and reputation.

That said, I don't see a huge amount of similarity between Ahern and Watson. Watson was not only physically taller, but played a lot taller even with that. Watson and Ziebell a better comparison.

Ahern and Zach Merrett a better comparison. Both ball magnets with lovely kicks.

Merrett has the runs on the board right now but as Ahern gets a proper fitness base, that gap will rapidly close.
There's no doubting Ahern's talent - I see his ceiling as a multiple B+F winner and AA easily.

His main concern would be staying injury-free. So many careers wasted to injuries over the years. Reminds me a little of Morabito's situation

There's no doubting Ahern's talent - I see his ceiling as a multiple B+F winner and AA easily.

His main concern would be staying injury-free. So many careers wasted to injuries over the years. Reminds me a little of Morabito's situation
Yep - we took a risk on him - although it didn't cost us much. If he stays injury free it could be a big win.

Yeah, he's got talent to burn.

On the injuries, he doesn't appear to have a recurring type injury, like OP or dodgy shoulders.

Do not see a Watson Ziebell comparison at all. Watson was a highly efficient inside mid who was adept at involving others by hand and foot. Ziebell's very much a see ball get ball player who's ball use held him back as a mid.

Jobe was essentially a more prolific Cunnington if you had to pick a current day North comparison.

Do not see a Watson Ziebell comparison at all. Watson was a highly efficient inside mid who was adept at involving others by hand and foot. Ziebell's very much a see ball get ball player who's ball use held him back as a mid.

Jobe was essentially a more prolific Cunnington if you had to pick a current day North comparison.

Laughable that those 2 are put in the same conversation

Great,

Yes and Ahern would be competing for a spot with HBFs/HFFs....

Given most clubs have about 3-5 mids rotating through inside mid which is where Ahern plays. If he doesn’t become viable in another position, he wouldn’t get a spot at any of Collingwood, West Coast, Melbourne, GWS, Adelaide, Essendon, Geelong, Bulldogs and maybe fringe for a few others. All of these clubs have at least 4 or 5 inside mids clearly ahead of Ahern.

Fyi I think Ahern will make it in the long run and become someone close to Cunnington/Adams who are both just in top 50 mids in the comp. but at the moment it’s just delusional to suggest he’s anything more than a B/C+ player.

Yes and Ahern would be competing for a spot with HBFs/HFFs....

Given most clubs have about 3-5 mids rotating through inside mid which is where Ahern plays. If he doesn’t become viable in another position, he wouldn’t get a spot at any of Collingwood, West Coast, Melbourne, GWS, Adelaide, Essendon, Geelong, Bulldogs and maybe fringe for a few others. All of these clubs have at least 4 or 5 inside mids clearly ahead of Ahern.

Fyi I think Ahern will make it in the long run and become someone close to Cunnington/Adams who are both just in top 50 mids in the comp. but at the moment it’s just delusional to suggest he’s anything more than a B/C+ player.
List the inside mids at WCE, Ess, Cats & Dogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back