List Mgmt. 2015 Draft. Rookie Draft on Friday

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wondering on what we would do if the worst case scenario eventuated and Francis, Oliver and Curnow were all gone.

Leaves us with Parish, Weidemen and Milera to choose from - based on those remaining it would be tough to split Parish (out and out midfielder) or Milera (fwd/mid had senior experience)

Go with KPP?

Weideman or maybe Collins?

Midfielders can be found anytime pick 16 or 29 56 or whatever

Last edited:

Just wondering on what we would do if the worst case scenario eventuated and Francis, Oliver and Curnow were all gone.

Leaves us with Parish, Weidemen and Milera to choose from - based on those remaining it would be tough to split Parish (out and out midfielder) or Milera (fwd/mid had senior experience)

Honestly based on how this year has gone, that is definitely going to happen. I'd go Parish just cos, and maybe Mathieson @16, keeping the two country boys together. But I wouldn't really care either way who we take in that scenario.

Honestly based on how this year has gone, that is definitely going to happen. I'd go Parish just cos, and maybe Mathieson @16, keeping the two country boys together. But I wouldn't really care either way who we take in that scenario.

Last year Clayton took Wright based on us not thinking we would be this high up in the draft for a long time so we wouldn't get access to gun key forward in the draft for a while.

We are back where we were last year so do we follow the same line of thinking and just take Weidemen in that scenario and just work it all out later.

Key position forwards players seem to hold their value very nicely for future trades (e.g. Tom Boyd) and as we have 2 1st rd picks in a midfield draft next year I'm fine in not drafting a mid at 6.

Last year Clayton took Wright based on us not thinking we would be this high up in the draft for a long time so we wouldn't get access to gun key forward in the draft for a while.

We are back where we were last year so do we follow the same line of thinking and just take Weidemen in that scenario and just work it all out later.

Key position forwards players seem to hold their value very nicely for future trades (e.g. Tom Boyd) and as we have 2 1st rd picks in a midfield draft next year I'm fine in not drafting a mid at 6.

Had similar thinking earlier when I mentioned him or Collins..

I said Collins because Ex hawk recruiter Buckanara had him at 3 on his list..
If it's good enough for him.. It's good enough for me

Collins looks a beast and could challenge Rory Thompson (2nd tall back) or Schade (3rd back) from year 1.

Could fill the role we have earmarked for Francis, only it would be a more defensive version.

I could understand why we could get him at 6.

At risk of sounding like a cracked record - we should be able to get one of Francis, Weideman or Curnow at 6 - forget midfielders - we have Gaz , Prestia, Swallow, OMeara , Risca, Touk, Hall, Lonergan, Hallahan - maybe Martin , Kk and others could also run through there. Next year is for mid fielders if we lose some of the above which could be very likely ...

At risk of sounding like a cracked record - we should be able to get one of Francis, Weideman or Curnow at 6 - forget midfielders - we have Gaz , Prestia, Swallow, OMeara , Risca, Touk, Hall, Lonergan, Hallahan - maybe Martin , Kk and others could also run through there. Next year is for mid fielders if we lose some of the above which could be very likely ...

We were talking worst case scenario - what's your plan if Weidemen, Curnow and Francis are off the table - whose next on your list if your not taking a mid?

There is a reason we dropped by from pick 3 to 6. Most of these players between 2-8 are pretty similar in draft range. Good chance they could all turn into guns.

I am with the Meatball.
All this talk about Weedy and Oliver moving up and maybe Francis and Parish sliding?

Great! Lots of good options for us at #6.
Parish would be an outstanding pick at #6. Outstanding. Parish has been a star for 2 years in the best under age comps.

Why would he slide? The Blues, Lions, Demons, and Bombers all need players with size.
Need.
As in, they have gaps in their kpp and forward line stocks they need to start filling with guys like Weedy and Curnow and Francis. Oliver has also moved up because he has good size for a mid.

We have a pretty well balanced list (maybe a mobile forward) and Clayton can and will take the best player available. Whatever size they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who were the experts saying this draft class was pretty poor? seems to me like there's a heap of talent, with no one really knowing who's going where haha.

Or No talent past pick 2 and no one knows who to waste there pick on.. This average kid or that 1 :)

My three choices for our first pick are Parish, Francis, and Oliver - in that order.

As mentioned above, I like the idea of picking up Parish @ 6 and Mathieson @ 16, keeping them together and strengthening our midfield.

Keep in mind that everybody last year was flabbergasted by us taking Wright. "Why would you draft another key forward when you've already got Lynch, Day, and Dixon?!".

Next thing you know, Dixon is gone and Wright's selection seems like a masterstroke.

By the same token, keep in mind that we still have to re-sign O'Meara and Prestia - both of whom are touted to move to Victoria after next season unless something changes.

What's going to happen if we lose O'Meara and Prestia? People are going to say 'Why didn't we take Parish at 6 when he was available?'

It's all a game of 'ifs', but it's certainly something to worry about.

Parish is by far the best midfielder (non-academy) in the draft, and drafting him and Mathieson - two best mates - improves our midfield but also prevents the go home factor for both of them. In saying that, Francis would certainly be a huge improvement in our backline, just as Oliver would be a contested beast in our midfield too.

As previously mentioned, we dropped from 3 to 6 for a reason. We know who we're after.

Wright would have gone at pick 2 last year if Melbourne didn't have Hogan. Similarly, GWS would have picked him up if they hadn't already got Cameron/Patton/Sunshine. We were the only club that had a spot for him. Just like in this draft, the 5 clubs before us really need bookends.

I prefer Parish. His 'deficiencies' are physical (not the fastest, fittest, or strongest player), but those are all things that will come as he becomes a more professional football player. His stand-out quality to me is a great football brain and he seems to process a situation very quickly. He's the smartest 'football player' in the draft IMO. The only physical deficiency that he can't really work on is his height, although 181cm isn't that short (5'11"), and if we're being nit-picky, he's already taller than Dion Prestia. Arguably, he's still growing, so there's that to consider, as well.

Wayne Milera isn't somebody to overlook too easily, though (they're about the same height, it really comes down to whether you prefer a player like Milera who's faster by foot or Parish who's faster by decision):

They're both equally silky when it comes to executing their skills as far as I can see.

Don't understand how if you were an all Australian U18 mid as a bottom
Ager.
Your a short ass. And you weight 65kg
Wouldn't you try and add weight in your draft year.?
Parish still weighing in at 72kg scares me

Could well be the next Rory Sloan but would take 3-4 years to develop there

Well if it ain't broke...

But he will probably add a good 4-8kg once he gets into the system and onto a specified program.

Well if it ain't broke...

But he will probably add a good 4-8kg once he gets into the system and onto a specified program.

He'll end up broken going up against Dangerfield or Selwood or Ziebell in the midfield

Been in the AFL academy the past 2 years with the best coaches and trainers they can find..
You would think it would of been #1 on his to do list

Last edited:
He'll end up broken going up against Dangerfield or Selwood or Ziebell in the midfield

Been in the AFL academy the past 2 years with the best coaches and trainers they can find..
You would think it would of been #1 on his to do list

They said the same thing about Fyfe being too skinny too. ;)

But yeah, I have no idea why he hasn't been told to put some bulk on through the academy/VIC c programs. Maybe they planned on having him more outside? To be fair to him though, he has put on 5/6kg in the past 12 months and a bulk of that would have been over the summer. You wouldn't want to be adding much more in such a short time span, especially in such a crucial year where you don't want to risk your body breaking down.

Also, he may have had the "best coaches they could get", but wait until he is introduced to Cordy and Co. ;) (If we do draft him that is).

They said the same thing about Fyfe being too skinny too. ;)

But yeah, I have no idea why he hasn't been told to put some bulk on through the academy/VIC c programs. Maybe they planned on having him more outside? To be fair to him though, he has put on 5/6kg in the past 12 months and a bulk of that would have been over the summer. You wouldn't want to be adding much more in such a short time span, especially in such a crucial year where you don't want to risk your body breaking down.

Also, he may have had the "best coaches they could get", but wait until he is introduced to Cordy and Co. ;) (If we do draft him that is).

Still got me buggered how O'Meara got so bloody big in 1 year with all our crap High performance staff.
Yet everyone else has struggled to gain weight or hit peak fitness

Still got me buggered how O'Meara got so bloody big in 1 year with all our crap High performance staff.
Yet everyone else has struggled to gain weight or hit peak fitness

Maybe that's why O'Meara wanted the crap high performance staff out...he could do a better job himself, his body is testament to that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back