News 2015 Leadership group: Jones captain, Dunn VC

Remove this Banner Ad

The club has announced the leadership group for 2015 this morning at a press conference.
Nathan Jones will be the sole captain with Lynden Dunn in the vice-captain role.
Rounding out the group is Chris Dawes, Jack Grimes, Daniel Cross and Heritier Lumumba.

I love the fact we now have a sole captain with no question about his place in the 22.

Also interested to see how highly regarded Lumumba is within the playing group despite only being at the club for a few months.

Disappointed for Garland. Always thought he plays his best when he has some responsibility on his shoulders.

After last season his position in the team is too much under pressure to be given a leadership role

Needs to get back to his 2013 season form first, Also Jack Grimes now is just another player who has to earn his spot and I think that will be far better for him aswell, I think Grimes plays his best footy ( much like anyone ) when he has a single task to focus on such as being the loose in defence

After last season his position in the team is too much under pressure to be given a leadership role

Needs to get back to his 2013 season form first, Also Jack Grimes now is just another player who has to earn his spot and I think that will be far better for him aswell, I think Grimes plays his best footy ( much like anyone ) when he has a single task to focus on such as being the loose in defence
Bit stiff on a guy who went down before Christmas and came back straight off the physio table in Rd 8.

If Grimes and Dawes can get a gig despite having terrible seasons, than I think Garland can too. Lumumba hasn't even played a game for us yet...

In fairness, maybe he didn't want one.

Amazing to think that only two of the six members from 1 year ago are still part of the group.
Back then it was:
Jones
Grimes
Garland
Trengove
Clark
Frawley

I think it shows how astute the decision was to add Dawes, Cross and Dunn mid-season following Clark's retirement and Trengove's injury.
It's fantastic for Lynden Dunn and a perfect example of what can be achieved through hard work and application.

Right call on Jones. Having a stand alone captain and vice captain adds weight to each role.

Congrats to Dunny. Much deserved.

Bit stiff on a guy who went down before Christmas and came back straight off the physio table in Rd 8.

If Grimes and Dawes can get a gig despite having terrible seasons, than I think Garland can too. Lumumba hasn't even played a game for us yet...

In fairness, maybe he didn't want one.

Dawes was probably given the role as leader of the forward line and a mentor to Hogan whilst Grimes was lucky, but maybe just easing him out like they did with Trenners

Lumumba is an interesting one, but surely he must have earned the players respect through hard work on the track, then of the course the others speak for themselves

Also yeah congratulation to Jones and Dunn, both had been written off at various stages of their career on this board

Melleadership620.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Dunn fits the mould of VC perfectly. You know he will never be competing for captain but could step up on game day if needed (if Jones was injured). He has that balance now between maturity and agro that we need and I think he'll thrive on being VC without all the political correctness and interviews the captain has to do.

Lumumba obviously has his fans to be promoted in his first year. Under Neeld it would mean nothing. Under Roos and Goodwin it means something.

Grimes, despite some questionable aspects to his game, still has too much experience to ignore so it's good that he is still there. Can focus on his game without captaincy hoo ha.

Dawes and Cross, no problems there.

I think Garland has made the right move. Some players just don't sit well with these things and prefer to focus on their own game. I think of Bernie Vince here, great player, experienced but better off focussing on what he does best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back