2016/17 Melbourne Victory Thread - It just wasn't to be

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really proud of that performance, as Giggler said i'm not sure what Muscat was thinking by only making 1 sub. Maybe if Mitch Austin was subbed on during ET it could have been a different story.

What a screamer it would have been too. Gutted but they were the best team all year so did well to take it up to them.

Even when we where in front I didn't feel comfortable we would hold on, There goal was pure luck too the way it hit the post then bounced over Berisha's head and in to Grants path and that Troisi shot hits the inside of the post and goes across goal instead of in!
It just felt it was just meant to be SydneyFC title!

Am proud of all the players today. On the flip side Muscat let the occasion get the better of him.
How many times does he make a sub at around the hour mark? How many times does he make a sub 15 after that?

FBK is always subbed off regardless of his performance around the hour mark.
Today, for a reason unbeknownst to every one I have spoke to Muscat decided that performance would have no impact on subs.
Rojas was cooked after 90 minutes and should have seen a max of 5 minutes in ET, that's it. He has a bad penalty record and regardless of that should have been taken off. On comes Austin and gives us some run out wide alongside Ingham.

Nothing may change, but nothing was going to to change with Rojas who could barely get out of a jog. Then with 10 minutes to go you bring on another sub (god forbid Mahazi) and all of a sudden you have 3 players on the pitch who should have the edge over much in a physical aspect. You never rely on penalties to get you the win, you should always try and win when you have control of the situation.

Overall our ball movement was terrible but our pressure was immense, I don't feel like we have been cheated but feel like we missed a very good opportunity to win a title. I just can't imagine that result happening under a coach like Ange.

Am proud of all the players today. On the flip side Muscat let the occasion get the better of him.
How many times does he make a sub at around the hour mark? How many times does he make a sub 15 after that?

FBK is always subbed off regardless of his performance around the hour mark.
Today, for a reason unbeknownst to every one I have spoke to Muscat decided that performance would have no impact on subs.
Rojas was cooked after 90 minutes and should have seen a max of 5 minutes in ET, that's it. He has a bad penalty record and regardless of that should have been taken off. On comes Austin and gives us some run out wide alongside Ingham.

Nothing may change, but nothing was going to to change with Rojas who could barely get out of a jog. Then with 10 minutes to go you bring on another sub (god forbid Mahazi) and all of a sudden you have 3 players on the pitch who should have the edge over much in a physical aspect. You never rely on penalties to get you the win, you should always try and win when you have control of the situation.

Overall our ball movement was terrible but our pressure was immense, I don't feel like we have been cheated but feel like we missed a very good opportunity to win a title. I just can't imagine that result happening under a coach like Ange.

I always wonder how good this team could be with a decent overseas manager deff wouldn't have finish 17pts behind Sydney.

Still I'm happy with Kev yeah he's still learning and makes some predictable and bizarre subs. But he understands Australian football and the more Aussie managers we produce the better for football in this country going forward.

I think the key to recruiting next season will be depth, because clearly Muscat didn't have faith in what we had on the bench tonight (even with Rojas stuffed and out on his feet Muscat felt he'll still do a better job then Austin) And really for most of the season he hasn't had faith in our depth.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The shootout is what it is.
Someone has to miss- that's football.

What was disappointing was the coach.
I lay blame and responsibility on Muscat.

We were all over them until we scored first.
They were nervous, sat back and were petrified to move the ball always putting it into touch.

Then we changed up, sat back, invited them to come at us and they then settled and got comfortable.

Why wouldn't we continue to play our brand?
We literally decided to just play long and high balls after that.
No passing between the lines, little creativity to attack in possession, zero.

This is a directive of the coaching staff.

It reflects poor leadership and Valeri I thought as an on field leader should also take responsibility for failing to take control of the game because it was obvious we weren't playing football after that first goal.

I'm going on school camp today and won't return until Friday....
Disappointing to loose on pens but Sydney deserved it concisering their form throughout the regular season. As the title of this thread says, It just wasn't ment to be.

Gonna start looking forward. Muscat decided not to replace Bozanic, so with him, Georgevski and FBK gone, that frees up places. Anyone know how Milligan is travelling? What chance we get him back? Looking forward to seeing who we get into the club.

1 sub in 120 minutes. Muscat is a mouth and got what he deserved.

I agree with Muscat being a mouth. 2 years ago he put quotes from Arnold up in the dressing room for motivation. This year he decided to give them motivation signalling his intent and stating in the presser after the semi final win that we were going to win. Next time Muscat just STFU.

I was thinking at the time that maybe keeping the subs was pretty switched on to the end game... and that he would unleash 2 fresh sets of legs for extra time that could open up Sydney late...

Then the subs never came..
Bizarre

I guess he just didn't have faith in the depth on the bench

Even if you don't have faith in the guys on the bench what is the point of a winger that can't run? It's not like Rojas is a DM and could sit back and not have to over exert himself.

As Willo said, I was thinking this is a good move and we're going to have two fresh wide players running at them for the last 20-25 minutes but nothing. I haven't seen the presser but surely he was asked the question?

It's going to be a massive off season for us and I'm not that confident we're going to be able to bring 5 quality players in on one transfer period.

Just got back from what was an amazing (and my first) away trip. Was wonderful seeing navy blue and white around sydney throughout the weekend. Supporters put on a massive atmosphere all day starting at the Captain Cook Hotel early afternoon right through till the end of the game.

Overall wasnt too disappointed about the result at the end of the night but when I woke up this morning I felt pretty gutted. Massive effort from our supporters to be able to get down and attempt to heave our boys over the line with our support.

Definitely makes me want to pursue away trips like this in the future COYBIB!

Just got back from what was an amazing (and my first) away trip. Was wonderful seeing navy blue and white around sydney throughout the weekend. Supporters put on a massive atmosphere all day starting at the Captain Cook Hotel early afternoon right through till the end of the game.

Overall wasnt too disappointed about the result at the end of the night but when I woke up this morning I felt pretty gutted. Massive effort from our supporters to be able to get down and attempt to heave our boys over the line with our support.

That's exactly how I felt. The day was so great and I was happy with how we took it to them. Will they ever be able to beat us in a GF in 90 mins? Support was brilliant, both my legs are banged up from the celebrations of Bes' goal

Captain Cook was rocking.

Lol @ bar staff's reaction when Seb Ryall chant broke out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back