2016/17 Melbourne Victory Thread - It just wasn't to be

Remove this Banner Ad

We looked flat half an hour into the roar game and then had a gruelling 30 mins with 10 men. Hard to believe we didnt freshen up the starting side at selection. Even more baffling given phoenix played on sat - perhaps we expected to be fresher than them but going back to the roar game we looked flat then so they didnt read the energy levels well.

Perth is always tough and no FBK or JG.

In context we have had a brilliant run so to drop one not unexpected. Good chance to get some minutes into a few depth players in prep for finals in case of injury.

Ansell continues to frustrate me...

Donachie was missed enormously.

yep big mistake by kev especially after we had to play with 10 men for almost half a match on Friday night, They looked stuffed!
should have at least started Austin and Biewster.
Beister should've started IMO

I think rather than assuming that Beister is some star cos he came from the Bundesliga, we have to instead assume that there's a reason that he hasn't started, nor even been in the squad for the last 2 games.

He isn't the silver bullet or he'd be getting more game time.

Kev had to make changes. Can't go in with almost unchanged squad.

I don't know what you base this on. 2 games in 5 days isn't a big deal. And even so, how can we assume that Beister, Austin etc would be better options today than what we had? The impact of the tough schedule will/should have been felt against Perth this week - there was no excuse for it today, and it wasn't something that a couple of squad changes would've changed.

In any case, we did make a change - and Ansell played like a busted arse compared to how Donarchie has been playing.

first half valeri and in particular bozanic were terrible.

Whole team has been woeful in regards to intensity.

This is really the post-match post that I agree with the most. I don't think people realise how excellent Valeri has been during the win streak; and as Victory's resident whipping boy, I really don't think people have realised how well Bozanic has been playing.

The fact they both played like s**t today and gave the ball away in midfield far too much is why we lost today IMO.

Onwards and upwards. The win streak before today was either 6 or 7 games. Let's not get too upset about a game in New Zealand that has been a perennial banana skin for us.

Didn't Beister have attitude problems in the Bundesliga?
Maybe it's that again.

That was definitely his reputation over there. I haven't heard anything to suggest that he's actively being a petulant dickhead, but I think there is plenty to suggest that his attitude problem might've manifested itself into poor discipline, which would explain why we're hearing that his fitness isn't up to par.

I think rather than assuming that Beister is some star cos he came from the Bundesliga, we have to instead assume that there's a reason that he hasn't started, nor even been in the squad for the last 2 games.

He isn't the silver bullet or he'd be getting more game time.

I don't know what you base this on. 2 games in 5 days isn't a big deal. And even so, how can we assume that Beister, Austin etc would be better options today than what we had? The impact of the tough schedule will/should have been felt against Perth this week - there was no excuse for it today, and it wasn't something that a couple of squad changes would've changed.

In any case, we did make a change - and Ansell played like a busted arse compared to how Donarchie has been playing.

This is really the post-match post that I agree with the most. I don't think people realise how excellent Valeri has been during the win streak; and as Victory's resident whipping boy, I really don't think people have realised how well Bozanic has been playing.

The fact they both played like s**t today and gave the ball away in midfield far too much is why we lost today IMO.

Onwards and upwards. The win streak before today was either 6 or 7 games. Let's not get too upset about a game in New Zealand that has been a perennial banana skin for us.

2 games in 5 days considering we played with 10 men for 30 minutes plus a travel can be a big deal for A-league players.

Especially when a trip to Perth is 2 days away, over 14 hours spent on a plane within 6 days takes its toll. For me it looks like Kev doesn't have faith in the players outside of the starting XI to get the job done. Of course all the players are going to say they're 100% right to play but that decision shouldn't be in their hands.

If you look at the comments, a lot of those regarding team selection were before kick off so it's not like the result alone has made people question the starting XI. Not only the starting XI but the substitutions were bizarre as well. Overall Kev has been a lot better this year but hope we're not falling back into the "our plan B is to do plan A better" mindset.

Lets hope Adelaide can hold Sydney to a draw. Adelaide have been playing better lately and Sydney while still getting results hasn't set the world on fire.

Need 3 points against Perth. Not getting full points against Perth makes Australia Day game all that much more important.

everyone is talking about the lack of rotation online and on the radio. if muscat didnt wanna change the XI it is saying something about trust in our depth. I hope thats the bad one out of hte way, perth is gonna be really tough.

s**t scheduling by the FFS/FFMC. But it is what it is

FBK, Bes, and Rojas were all mainly unsighted. Why not pull the trigger and put Max on for 30+ mins? Give him a proper go at it Kev, all I hear is that he is good but has attitude problems. We lacked run, why wait so long to put Austin in (still baffles me how he didn't walk straight back into starting 11 after his injury). When is Ingham going to get a real crack? I understand not wanting to change a winning formula but sheesh we have carried one or two in every game.

Don't know how Kev could not trust our bench players. Our depth players are all pretty much starting players in other teams. Valeri and Ollie need a rest they are probably cooked...have broxham and baro who could cover with depth down back..but no we flog the same horses.

On Beister, why did we bother bringing him out here if we werent going to play him? Id be mad too if I went to the other side of the world to be kept out of the side by FBK (played a few good games yes but to me doesnt trouble defenders at all when running at them).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Geria and FBK unavailable I wonder who replaces them?

Georgevski and Austin I would imagine, with Ingham and possibly Nigro coming onto the bench.

Not sure about Nigro though - he played a game earlier this season (probably the first derby?) where his performance was the polar opposite of what we saw last year when he was best on ground on debut. He may well have lost Muscat's confidence. I'm not sure who the other options are though. Mahazi struggles enough with his own position, I really don't want to see him filling in at full back if we get an injury.

Last edited:
Not sure about Nigro though - he played a game earlier this season (probably the first derby?) where his performance was the polar opposite of what we saw last year when he was best on ground on debut. He may well have lost Muscat's confidence.

Might be controversial but I think we massively over hyped his earlier games tbh. He produced some really quality moments of skill (notably against Broich) that endeared him to the fans but I still recall him misplacing a lot of simple passes and not being all that spectacular defensively. TBF though he is a midfielder and not a natural full back.

Huge game tonight. Hopefully last week wasn't the start of a mid season form slump
Geez, I'd hope not. Definitely a must win after Sydney's work on Adelaide last night. Loss or draw would mean top spot is almost gone, arguably one of our most important games of the year.

Perth seem to be our boggy (may have spelled that wrong) team, the 1-1 draw earlier in the year still hurts a lot and our record over there isn't too great, still so much at stake with Sydney just around the corner.

Georgevski and Austin I would imagine, with Ingham and possibly Nigro coming onto the bench.

Not sure about Nigro though - he played a game earlier this season (probably the first derby?) where his performance was the polar opposite of what we saw last year when he was best on ground on debut. He may well have lost Muscat's confidence. I'm not sure who the other options are though. Mahazi struggles enough with his own position, I really don't want to see him filling in at full back if we get an injury.
Not sure why Muscat aways seems to play Ingham on the bench, he has clearly shown a lot of times this year what he is capable of. A few goals and a few more assists is more than Khalfallah and Austin have done this year. Ingham reminds me a bit of Rojas the way he sends in crosses, outsmarts his oppenents and only needs a few possessions to have a big impact.

Holy George Howard sighting! I really thought we might be done with him with all the attacking firepower we brought in. I'm pretty sure Beister has played/can play in the 9 spot.

In hindsight, resting Rojas probably should've been predictable given he's had a niggle and the Sydney game is only 5 days away. Still a bit disappointing thought. The fact that we've swapped out both of our starting winners and Beister still can't get a start is concerning... I'm kind of surprised we haven't cancelled the loan deal by now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back