2016-17 NHL Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Name the six clubs Virtanen will be playing for. ;)
hahahahaha I almost put that into the post. needless to say we'll keep the faith for a couple more seasons, so he'll hard pressed to get past 3 or 4. But you know, I think he'll be a 2nd/3rd line guy, puts up good corsi numbers but doesn't put up the points "expected" from pick 6.

yeah Canucks Army was so so so against Virtanen. I'm obviously not watching too much CHL so it was their takes that led me towards Ehlers/Nylander. It's a shame that Benning got it wrong, but whatever, he's got almost everything else wrong as well too. It's really interesting because it was so decisive at the time (someone in the van media just tried to make the claim that it wasn't decisive), and you've got those pieces that really make for good reading in hindsight

I'm uneasy with including Fabri or Larkin because it was always between the four wingers, Ehlers, Nylander, Ritchie & Virtanen, and I was team either-european-please, but yes he's behind them, among others like Pastrnak from Boston. Virtanen, btw, isn't gonna flat out bust and play in Europe. He's probably gonna be a Benoit Pouliot type
Anyone can be a winger though. Sharks had a line of Pavelski-Thornton-Pavelski and all 3 are natural centres. Same with Marleau and Couture who can play on the wing as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to argue with any of this, summed up very well:

image.png

I agree with Dimitri (former Canucks Army writer!) that the coach really isn't a problem. He's been a lightning rod since the series loss against the Flames, but he's just small fry. Like all coaches, he's got these stupid little quirks (and some bigger ones...) but honestly, it's ownership, their 'plan' (make the playoffs!) & Benning buying into the plan and the execution of it. And you know, you can't even say "well benning can't rebuild, so he's not that bad!" because he's still done a ton of illogical stuff anyway. It's all rather depressing. But at least we're losing now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back