2016 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're interested in brothers & sons of (and I've read enough of this board to know people are ;)) why not extended the net wider?

I'm surprised people aren't making over noise about Liam Mackie from the Bays.

He is Andrew's cousin (and another Sacred Heart boy).

If we're interested in brothers & sons of (and I've read enough of this board to know people are ;)) why not extended the net wider?

I'm surprised people aren't making over noise about Liam Mackie from the Bays.

He is Andrew's cousin (and another Sacred Heart boy).

But is he any good?
What sort of player is he.
Is his mum as hot as Andrew's mum?

But is he any good?
What sort of player is he.
Is his mum as hot as Andrew's mum?
Don't know.

Don't know.

Don't know.

:D

Honestly, I haven't seen any junior footy at all this year, I just noticed his name for State Screenings.

Ideally sam simpson goes under the radar-if we have minimal spots on the main list i would like to nominate him as a FS rookie where if he gets through the ND unselected we get priority on adding him as a rookie. Hopefully mclachlan and stewart are there as rookies (along with sexton and house) as i think we would like to not have to take them with 3rd rounders if possible.

Hopefully witherden can slide,i also quite like the look of villis for our 30s picks. I wouldnt mind darcy as a project ruck if vardy gets traded.

Listening to this weeks Road to the draft... Sam Simpson got a mention ... playing well for the Falcons apparently

Listening to this weeks Road to the draft... Sam Simpson got a mention ... playing well for the Falcons apparently

I am hoping we take him i am just worried that limited list spots (unless we trade a few guys out) and the fact we might need to save late nd picks for guys like stewart if we think other clubs will try to nab him, mean we might be reluctant to commit to matching a bid on sam. Hope i am wrong.

I am hoping we take him i am just worried that limited list spots (unless we trade a few guys out) and the fact we might need to save late nd picks for guys like stewart if we think other clubs will try to nab him, mean we might be reluctant to commit to matching a bid on sam. Hope i am wrong.

Have to be a good chance there is no bid on him..so as long as there is a Rookie spot open for him. He must have some talent to get nominated for combine.... the combine testing will be interesting. I have not seen him play but he sounds like an outside wing type.

I would have thought that with open list spots and him not being a big attention getter yet, a Bews type arrangement for him would be fitting.

Not sure the Rookie list will be for him - meaning he''ll go before then - but another FS late Hayball pick type arrangement.

GO Catters

I would have thought that with open list spots and him not being a big attention getter yet, a Bews type arrangement for him would be fitting.

Not sure the Rookie list will be for him - meaning he''ll go before then - but another FS late Hayball pick type arrangement.

GO Catters
Daz ..The rules have probably changed since Bews as Pure has previously mentioned...

Ideally sam simpson goes under the radar-if we have minimal spots on the main list i would like to nominate him as a FS rookie where if he gets through the ND unselected we get priority on adding him as a rookie. ........

So If no one bids on him , we can just add him to the Rookie list. It may not be super important as the Rookie list may not last too many years in the future. Either way he is probably more Bews than Ablett. Get him on the list , and see what he is like in 3 years.

Not sure if I have mention this player name before... but Liam Ryan is someone Id like our WA posters to comment on...
19 year old so probably has slightly missed the traditional path... goal kicker , with leap , with height ,and goal sense...he ticks a lot of boxes.... worth watching at the combine.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...e/news-story/8f6e7a4213cb2d96d6f8c5ae2f2ae41f

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/31752784/ryan-slips-sharks-net/#page1

but looking at this he certainly has some vertical talent..

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...ospect-for-afl-selectors-20160518-goxxjc.html

... He's only made two senior Lions appearances but has already sent AFL talent scouts into a frenzy.

...The silky smooth 19-year-old has been likened to Hawthorn superstar Cyril Rioli, with exhilarating and explosive talents as well as uncanny goal-kicking sense.

..."He's tall as well, at around 189cm, and he's got a terrific vertical leap and not just with the really big mark he took. He has an uncanny ability to leap high in marking attempts from pretty much a standing start."...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...ospect-for-afl-selectors-20160518-goxxjc.html

Last edited:
Not sure if I have mention this player name before... but Liam Ryan is someone Id like our WA posters to comment on...
19 year old so probably has slightly missed the traditional path... goal kicker , with leap , with height ,and goal sense...he ticks a lot of boxes.... worth watching at the combine.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...e/news-story/8f6e7a4213cb2d96d6f8c5ae2f2ae41f

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/31752784/ryan-slips-sharks-net/#page1

but looking at this he certainly has some vertical talent..

... He's only made two senior Lions appearances but has already sent AFL talent scouts into a frenzy.

...The silky smooth 19-year-old has been likened to Hawthorn superstar Cyril Rioli, with exhilarating and explosive talents as well as uncanny goal-kicking sense.

..."He's tall as well, at around 189cm, and he's got a terrific vertical leap and not just with the really big mark he took. He has an uncanny ability to leap high in marking attempts from pretty much a standing start."...

Sounds like a typical wells pick

Sounds like a typical wells pick

He reminds me of a few have have picked over the years... but he would fit a need imo if he is as written. Just like we paid a bit more for Cockatoo because of his upside , id say Wells would be willing to pay more than some if he sees what he likes ... 189cm Rioli type... yes please

Just like the read of this guy's profile.... GWS won't be able to keep all their players, especially those on the fringe... He just looks like the type we could have for list depth or push for spots. Contested ball midfielder. Haven't seen him play, so not so sure about him. He hasn't cracked an AFL game, but the GWS midfield is pretty decent. He would be pretty cheap to trade given no game time at the top level.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/player-profile/jake-barrett

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just like the read of this guy's profile.... GWS won't be able to keep all their players, especially those on the fringe... He just looks like the type we could have for list depth or push for spots. Contested ball midfielder. Haven't seen him play, so not so sure about him. He hasn't cracked an AFL game, but the GWS midfield is pretty decent. He would be pretty cheap to trade given no game time at the top level.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/player-profile/jake-barrett

I like barrett but we have a lot of mid depth, wouldnt get games here which is all he would move for given his nsw pedigree.

Steele would be awesome obviously, i dont mind marchbank if lonners retires. Of the fringe i wouldnt mind stewart in the unlikely event we lost 2 of the stanley/vardy/clark/kersten group, as he would give us both kpf and ruck cover.

I like barrett but we have a lot of mid depth, wouldnt get games here which is all he would move for given his nsw pedigree.

Steele would be awesome obviously, i dont mind marchbank if lonners retires. Of the fringe i wouldnt mind stewart in the unlikely event we lost 2 of the stanley/vardy/clark/kersten group, as he would give us both kpf and ruck cover.

Be a good player for some club needing 15-25 on their list... part of deal as icing for Carlton? Would he offer more than Menegola? I think there will probably be similar players out there to him and he cost us a dregs pick in the draft.

I think Marchbank is quite overrated, Steele too for that matter for the price a team would have to pay to get them.

Probably been already mentioned here but thoughts on Atkins (VFL) for a late pick or rookie spot?

I think this Atkins is a chance to get picked by someone .... not sure on our VFL one
TAC Cup > Dandenong Stingrays
Player Profiles

ATKINS, Dylan
35792101_2_M.jpg

Jumper Number: 20
Date of Birth: 22/04/1997
Height: 198cm
Weight: 91kg
Local Club: Beaumaris FC

Sponsor:

2016 Player Match Stats

Great defensive game, has speed and agility, very good disposal by foot on the plus side. On the negative side is a bit undersized. 180cm. Small forward or half forward? Maybe even a small back?

I'd say he is pretty average from a speed and agility perspective. His disposals is pretty similar, it's not deficient but it isn't great either.
He's does his best work around congestion where a great defensive mentality but with his physical attributes it probably wouldn't scale to AFL level. When he isn't a part of our main midfield rotations he can go missing.

There'd be a couple of hundred guys around the 2nd tier who play at a similar level who never get a look in. We have a quite a few of those on our VFL list.

Last edited:
I'd say he is pretty average from a speed and agility perspective. His disposals is pretty similar, it's not deficient but it isn't great either.
He's does his best work around congestion where a great defensive mentality but with his physical attributes it probably wouldn't scale to AFL level. When he isn't a part of our main midfield rotations he can go missing.

They'd be a couple of hundred guys around the 2nd tier who play at a similar level who never get a look it. We have a quite a few of those on our VFL list.

Interesting. I've only seen him a couple of times so my sample size is small but he's impressed me on both occasions. He seemed to have some smarts that can't be taught - good decision making and poise. I thought he looked pretty quick and had at least good disposal (without being great). You've clearly seen him a lot more than myself so I bow to your better judgement!

I think we should raid the GCFC Suns list for any obvious defenders... I suggested Trent McKenzie as another option as he would not be on big coin and would not command a lot in terms of a trade (K Kolo would be the first choice, but would require a hefty trade and perhaps good coin).

I think Marchbank is quite overrated, Steele too for that matter for the price a team would have to pay to get them.
I also don't think Marchbank will be big enough as a defender to take on the gorilla forwards.

He looks like a 3rd tall defender option, which we already have Kolo.

I think we should raid the GCFC Suns list for any obvious defenders... I suggested Trent McKenzie as another option as he would not be on big coin and would not command a lot in terms of a trade (K Kolo would be the first choice, but would require a hefty trade and perhaps good coin).

They have more half back flanker than they have midfielders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back