Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

English was so poor in the ruck that the Bulldogs were forced to play Lewis Young as their first ruck late in the year.

English should be rated highly for his KPP talents but as it stands he’s not shown much as ruckman.
Agree - the Big O is competitive at least - English not so much at times.

Haven't seen enough of Draper to comment. English is going to be a ripper though, super clean for a big fella and excellent in the air.

I think he will surpass Darcy in the future.
English is older than Darcy, Darcy was the 3rd best ruck in the league this year, will take a big change for English to turn out better

English is older than Darcy, Darcy was the 3rd best ruck in the league this year, will take a big change for English to turn out better
English was a string bean when he arrived at the Doggies and is still very much a work in progress. Still hasn't fully settled on a position either. Has huge scope for improvement, Darcy on the other hand doesn't have as much improvement ahead of him. Just my thoughts.

English was so poor in the ruck that the Bulldogs were forced to play Lewis Young as their first ruck late in the year.

English should be rated highly for his KPP talents but as it stands he’s not shown much as ruckman.
Reckon he gets out muscled too easily in the ruck at the moment, but is quite good at ground level and around the ground. Obviously a very dangeroud target forward too.

If he can add some meat to his bones he will have the capacity to be a great ruckman imo.

English was a string bean when he arrived at the Doggies and is still very much a work in progress. Still hasn't fully settled on a position either. Has huge scope for improvement, Darcy on the other hand doesn't have as much improvement ahead of him. Just my thoughts.
Darcy was overweight when drafted

Jsut shows that Darcy has worked harder than English to get the right body

Darcy doesn't have as much improvement because he is already elite at 23

Bit harsh to go off improvement when one is far better than the other, ofc English has higher scope to improve if he is the far lesser player currently

1. Tom Stewart (40)

2. Hugh McCluggage (3)

3. Tim Taranto (2)

4. Luke Ryan (66)

5. Jy Simpkin (12)

6. Andy McGrath (1)

7. Sean Darcy (38)

8. Jordan Ridley (22)

9. Nick Larkey (73)

10. Oscar McInerney (rookie)

From the herald sun. Good list.
Interesting list, couple of confusing takes though.

Bolton should be top 5, without a doubt. If you just judge him on the last half of this season then maybe he isn't top 10, but at his best he is absolutely at the top of this group.

Ridley should also be ahead of McGrath as well, I reckon 99% of Bombers fans would rate Ridley higher.

Happy to see Souv get some recognition, especially since he was our only KPF for much of this season. He could really start to excel this year with extra support and further improvement from our mids.

Reckon he gets out muscled too easily in the ruck at the moment, but is quite good at ground level and around the ground. Obviously a very dangeroud target forward too.

If he can add some meat to his bones he will have the capacity to be a great ruckman imo.

English will get stronger but at some point you just can’t overcome frame size and a high centre of gravity.

Darcy was overweight when drafted

Jsut shows that Darcy has worked harder than English to get the right body

Darcy doesn't have as much improvement because he is already elite at 23

Bit harsh to go off improvement when one is far better than the other, ofc English has higher scope to improve if he is the far lesser player currently
It doesn't at all mean Darcy has worked harder.

English has probably busted his gut, sometimes genetics make it hard to achieve the ideal body size.

I think with the traits English has he has huge potential. Whether he fulfills it or not remains ti be seen.

1. Tom Stewart (40)

2. Hugh McCluggage (3)

3. Tim Taranto (2)

4. Luke Ryan (66)

5. Jy Simpkin (12)

6. Andy McGrath (1)

7. Sean Darcy (38)

8. Jordan Ridley (22)

9. Nick Larkey (73)

10. Oscar McInerney (rookie)

From the herald sun. Good list.

this is just a troll now

You can't be serious , is it school holiday's again?

Said it once and I'll say it again - 2016 is my favourite draft of the past decade. We absolutely cleaned up.

Pick 26 - Brandan Parfitt (Top 10 B+F)
Pick 40 - Tom Stewart (3 x AA and B+F winner)
Pick 43 - Esava Ratugolea
Pick 60 - Quinton Narkle
Rookie Pick 16 - Jack Henry (Runner up B+F)
Rookie Pick 33 - Zach Guthrie
Rookie Pick 53 - Sam Simpson (Grand Final player)
Cat B Rookie - Mark O'Connor (Leadership group/Top 10 B+F)

Not often you draft 8 players all capable of making it, from the one draft, without a pick in the Top 25. Just keeps getting better! :)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't at all mean Darcy has worked harder.

English has probably busted his gut, sometimes genetics make it hard to achieve the ideal body size.

I think with the traits English has he has huge potential. Whether he fulfills it or not remains ti be seen.
If it's genetics then it's hard to see the massive Improvement that you are expecting, he is 5 years in, not 2 years in

Skinny rucks generally take a lot longer than 5 years to reach their peak.
Yes but elite rucks tend to show significant improving after 5 years on a list, he is still barely competitive in the ruck most weeks.

He doesn't need to be a finished product but expecting some leap out of no where after all this time seems unlikely.

Also it is not genetics holding him back, if he wants to grow he needs to do the work.

Yes but elite rucks tend to show significant improving after 5 years on a list, he is still barely competitive in the ruck most weeks.

He doesn't need to be a finished product but expecting some leap out of no where after all this time seems unlikely.

Also it is not genetics holding him back, if he wants to grow he needs to do the work.
Agreed he hasn't been great in the ruck, but he has shown brilliant signs in other areas of his game. All I'm saying is if he can pull it all together he will be the real deal. In my eyes he has a huge ceiling and loads of natural talent.

Regarding the genetics thing, I don't know how hard he trains... But genetics definitely could be a contributing factor. Some people just can't manage to put on size even when they bust their gut. Hipwood is a classic example from my club, he is a hard worker but is still a stick after 6 years in the system.

Agreed he hasn't been great in the ruck, but he has shown brilliant signs in other areas of his game. All I'm saying is if he can pull it all together he will be the real deal. In my eyes he has a huge ceiling and loads of natural talent.

Regarding the genetics thing, I don't know how hard he trains... But genetics definitely could be a contributing factor. Some people just can't manage to put on size even when they bust their gut. Hipwood is a classic example from my club, he is a hard worker but is still a stick after 6 years in the system.
Hipwood does use his athleticism well though, he doesn't need to be a physical battering ram.

Despite genetics putting weight on is pretty simple, eat lots and hit the gym hard.

I see it the other way with English at the moment though, if he doesn't make it as a ruck what is he? A half decent 3rd tall? He has some tools and i am not writing him off but 5 years in i am not sure we can keep talking about his ceiling like he is a 20 year old anymore.

It would be great to re visit this draft again.

Shai Bolton now the clear number one, both on impact on games and potential for improvement.

It would be great to re visit this draft again.

Shai Bolton now the clear number one, both on impact on games and potential for improvement.
At the risk of giving myself a very substantial headache, how do you come to this conclusion...

While the number 1 pick is all but sewn up by Bolton unfortunately, feels like a draft where the number 2 is going to be a debate for some long careers.

After Bolton you could throw a blanket over all of Darcy, Taranto, McCluggage and Stewart as it stands IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back