Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I still think he will be the best of the lot.
If only we grabbed him instead of that crab at 7.
Would have been perfect for the suns as a team that lacks leadership. Berry's proffesionalism and leadership is phenomenal for a kid his age.

Suns could have done a lot better in this draft considering they had 4 picks inside the top 10 from memory. If the draft were redone today I don't think any of those players would feature in the top 10.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Logue , L Ryan , Darcy , B Cox and T Duman are all in the picture for Rd 1 this year which is pretty amazing and definitely something that's never happened at Freo before

Has anyone got any examples from other teams of something similar to this happening I.e 5 players from 1 draft all B22 at the start of year 3

Darcy is still behind Sandi but there are whispers the big fella might not be right to go early and Duman might not make Rd 1 but he just got a 3 year deal so he's definitely in the mix

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Would have been perfect for the suns as a team that lacks leadership. Berry's proffesionalism and leadership is phenomenal for a kid his age.

Suns could have done a lot better in this draft considering they had 4 picks inside the top 10 from memory. If the draft were redone today I don't think any of those players would feature in the top 10.
I reckon Bowes and Ainsworth are set for big years. There was a stint of 6 weeks last year that Ainsworth played in the guts and was averaging over 20 touches, he will play there more this year and hopefully continue with that form. Bowes was BOG in our Rd1 against the Roos in the Cairns pool, has shown he has something there with another year in the tank.

Brodie could go either way, this year is the year has to stake a claim on a starting midfield spot.

The less said about Scrimshaw the better.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Logue , L Ryan , Darcy , B Cox and T Duman are all in the picture for Rd 1 this year which is pretty amazing and definitely something that's never happened at Freo before

Has anyone got any examples from other teams of something similar to this happening I.e 5 players from 1 draft all B22 at the start of year 3

Darcy is still behind Sandi but there are whispers the big fella might not be right to go early and Duman might not make Rd 1 but he just got a 3 year deal so he's definitely in the mix

Definitely a good sign for Freo's recruiting considering you guys have had some pretty bad patches previously. Your 2016 draft class all look like long termers.

In terms of other sides having a lot of best 22 in their third year:
This year, from our 2016 draft class, it looks like Tim English, Pat Lipinski, Lewis Young and Fergus Greene could all play round 1 (which is our entire main draft list from that year)

From our 2014 draft class (so ready for round 1 2017), we had Toby McLean, Lukas Webb, Bailey Dale, Caleb Daniel and Zaine Cordy, although I believe Webb got injured before round 1 from memory

Zac Fisher will be top 5 of this draft class come the end of this season. Absolute belter of a pick who really just seems to get better after every game.

Considering he had 9 touches in his last game he must have been pretty s**t before that

I laughed, but I am also pretty certain he came off injured before half time in his last game for the year.
I had figured that was probably the case

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Lions are close. McCluggage Berry and Witherden best 22. Cedric Cox isn't far off best 22.

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Lions are close. McCluggage Berry and Witherden best 22. Cedric Cox isn't far off best 22.

Great to see Brisbane get player development and retention right with their kids. Carlton have got the latter right but still struggling with the former, which is why The Lions are at least 12 months ahead in their rebuild.

We may have to change coach (unfortunately) if we don't see meaningful progress from some of our under performing players in 2019.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
McGrath will hold onto that number 1 spot IMO, His speed is just electric.

Probably agree. Either him or Taranto. But overall, Brisbane have smashed this draft. Absolutely slaughtered it. You would swap McGrath for their haul every day. Big fan of Witherden in particular, what a steal.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Definitely a good sign for Freo's recruiting considering you guys have had some pretty bad patches previously. Your 2016 draft class all look like long termers.

In terms of other sides having a lot of best 22 in their third year:
This year, from our 2016 draft class, it looks like Tim English, Pat Lipinski, Lewis Young and Fergus Greene could all play round 1 (which is our entire main draft list from that year)

From our 2014 draft class (so ready for round 1 2017), we had Toby McLean, Lukas Webb, Bailey Dale, Caleb Daniel and Zaine Cordy, although I believe Webb got injured before round 1 from memory

Huh , seems like it's a bit more common than I thought .... rats thought I saw some sunshine through the clouds for a second there

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Probably agree. Either him or Taranto. But overall, Brisbane have smashed this draft. Absolutely slaughtered it. You would swap McGrath for their haul every day. Big fan of Witherden in particular, what a steal.

Witherden had broken his leg IIRC which is why he slid. McCluggage and Berry thanks to the trade with GWS. Basically Taranto for McCluggage/Berry

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Huh , seems like it's a bit more common than I thought .... rats thought I saw some sunshine through the clouds for a second there

Nah it's definitely a huge achievement. Those drafts of ours were the responsibility of Dalrymple, who is arguably the GOAT recruiter. Not to mention we have an extremely young demographic, so it's more likely that young players will make our 22

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
This draft netted us waterman, Rioli and Venables.

For picks 12,50 odd and 70 odd that’s decent

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I'll revisit this post in 24 months. Ridley and Begley to me are both fantastic prospects, and sam Draper in the rookie draft will be pretty special as well IMO.

Right now collectively you're probably right fwiw.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
McGrath will hold onto that number 1 spot IMO, His speed is just electric.
And yet he couldn't break 3 seconds for the 20 m sprint. Will be a good back pocket but a reach for pick 1, given he is a poor kick. Was always going to perform well early as a well developed short player. Ceiling is much lower than players like Taranto, McLugage and SPS.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'll revisit this post in 24 months. Ridley and Begley to me are both fantastic prospects, and sam Draper in the rookie draft will be pretty special as well IMO.

Right now collectively you're probably right fwiw.

Hopefully Sam Draper is playing for the Crows in 24 months :)

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
And yet he couldn't break 3 seconds for the 20 m sprint. Will be a good back pocket but a reach for pick 1, given he is a poor kick. Was always going to perform well early as a well developed short player. Ceiling is much lower than players like Taranto, McLugage and SPS.
The state of that

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nah it's definitely a huge achievement. Those drafts of ours were the responsibility of Dalrymple, who is arguably the GOAT recruiter. Not to mention we have an extremely young demographic, so it's more likely that young players will make our 22

Ouch , you seem like a decent poster so I will forgive you giving your head of recruiting a wrap while perhaps forgetting the guy who picked our 2016 class is now at the Blues .... it was a nice Bon voyage present at least by B Lloyd

Back