Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The top 3 all had good games in week 1 of JLT. Taranto especially. McGrath did some really nice things in the midfield.

Taranto - 33 disposals, 10 marks, 7 tackles

McGrath - 25 disposals, 4 tackles, 2 goals

McCluggage - 27 disposals, 5 marks, 1 goal

Going to be really interesting tracking the progress of these 3 this season. There's a good chance all 3 are going to explode.
Throw a blanket over theses three for now. All have outstanding qualities which will make them long term A graders.

So many others nipping at their heals.

Such a high quality draft.

I wanted Taranto pre-draft and it remains the same now. Taranto has already performed and has scope to get better and better every year, going to be some player.

You cant be upset with McGrath or McCluggage though. Looks like being one of their rare drafts were clubs nailed the top 3 picks.

Would personally go Taranto, Cluggage, McGrath in that order for a mixture of performances to date and scope to improve. There's a chance of a brownlow or two from that group.

Brisbane the winners overall grabbing 3 A-grade players in one draft (Berry, Cluggage, Witherden) which is very very hard to do but I am stoked with Freo's haul.

People are sleeping on Brennan Cox which is understandable given our fwdline and delivery into it is disgusting. He is going to be an absolute star with his mixture of marking, footy smarts and field skills. Will be disgusted when they play Taberner in our fwdline ahead of him in round 1

I wanted Taranto pre-draft and it remains the same now. Taranto has already performed and has scope to get better and better every year, going to be some player.

You cant be upset with McGrath or McCluggage though. Looks like being one of their rare drafts were clubs nailed the top 3 picks.

Would personally go Taranto, Cluggage, McGrath in that order for a mixture of performances to date and scope to improve. There's a chance of a brownlow or two from that group.

Brisbane the winners overall grabbing 3 A-grade players in one draft (Berry, Cluggage, Witherden) which is very very hard to do but I am stoked with Freo's haul.

People are sleeping on Brennan Cox which is understandable given our fwdline and delivery into it is disgusting. He is going to be an absolute star with his mixture of marking, footy smarts and field skills. Will be disgusted when they play Taberner in our fwdline ahead of him in round 1

Can, Hogan, Lobb, Tab and Cox all play in the same team?

They definitely can. Mainly, because Hogan and Lobb are incredibly versatile. Taberner can have stint in the ruck too.

I think Lobb, Sandilands, Tab, Cox, Hogan and Darcy gets tricky.

Interesting which way they'll go, Sandi could have retired last year, They have the players to cover him now, Perhaps they don't see Darcy ready for a full season yet.

Ben Ainsworth trained with the mids all summer and he seems to be past all the little injury niggles he was dealing with over his first 2 years. Had 22 poss against the dogs from 57% game time - I expect he'll start to really move up peoples list's throughout the season this year.

Harry Perrymsn is likely to rise in the pecking order this year. He's been a marginal half back so far, but the dogs are barking he'll play midfield this year. Very positive reports from the club as to his development. Leon and Heater have nominated him publicly to play in the midfield and step up this year.

Have to wait and see how he copes.

* I UNDERSTAND ALL CALLING ME OUT FOR CARLTON BIAS (WHICH I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND), HOWEVER QUIETLY CONFIDENT SPS & SETTERFIELD WILL SHOW WHY THEY WERE RATED SO HIGHLY AFTER FINALLY GETTING A PRE-SEASON UNDER THEIR BELT. FISHER IS A JET..WILL CONTINUE GETTING BETTER

* Great haul by Brisbane.

Calm down

Have been a fan of his since 18 months before he was drafted, but was disappointed with Simpkin's game against us on the weekend.

Didn't even realise he was playing when I was watching it live, and when watching the replay I assumed he wasn't playing, then all of a sudden I spotted him. Was very inconspicuous.

I think Simpkin has the traits to be an elite forward, incredibly skilful and has a bag of tricks which he has shown on occasion the past 2 years, North seem to be training him as a mid but I don’t think that’s where his best position is.

1999 would be a good starting point.

Geelong had a very good haul in 99 as well (with some misses): Corey, Chapman, Ling and Enright with Spriggs managing 64 games as well. They picked up Ezra Bray who IIRC was super talented as well but had off field issues.

Not to mention Geelong 2001: Bartel, Kelly, Johnson, Ablett.

Probably the best drafting by a club over a 3 year period in history

They definitely can. Mainly, because Hogan and Lobb are incredibly versatile. Taberner can have stint in the ruck too.

I think Lobb, Sandilands, Tab, Cox, Hogan and Darcy gets tricky.
Can, Hogan, Lobb, Tab and Cox all play in the same team?
I dont think so, no. Taberner should be the one who misses out IMO. Cox, Hogan with Lobb as the part time ruck. 4 of them is way too tall, especially given Taberner provides literally no defensive pressure and Lobb very little

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Simpkin has the traits to be an elite forward, incredibly skilful and has a bag of tricks which he has shown on occasion the past 2 years, North seem to be training him as a mid but I don’t think that’s where his best position is.
Yeah I saw this said about him in the thread about the game on the North board as well.

Seems a strange thing to do, when you have about as much midfield depth as anyone these days, yet actually need one or two more with Simpkin's attributes in the forwardline!

I dont think so, no. Taberner should be the one who misses out IMO. Cox, Hogan with Lobb as the part time ruck. 4 of them is way too tall, especially given Taberner provides literally no defensive pressure and Lobb very little
Lobbs not disgraceful at defensive pressure for a big man. He will chase and fight for the ball below his knees. Not a trait you'd pick him for though.

Not to mention Geelong 2001: Bartel, Kelly, Johnson, Ablett.

Probably the best drafting by a club over a 3 year period in history

West Coast drafter Glass in '99, Kerr in 2000 and Judd and Cox in 2001. That's a superior quartet to the aforementioned.

West Coast drafter Glass in '99, Kerr in 2000 and Judd and Cox in 2001. That's a superior quartet to the aforementioned.

Amazing drafting but the Geelong 4 are better, not by much though

Ablett > Judd
Bartel > Kerr
Johnson < Cox
Kelly - Glass probably equal

Really hard to gauge a key forwards trajectory, compared to say a Parfitt who is a lock to be a B+ player and top 10 from this draft, but Ratugolea has all the pieces to become an elite key forward / ruck. He hasn't had a big break out game for everyone to sit up and take notice but I wouldn't be trading him for many, if any, from this draft. Heading into the season I would almost say he is our most important player outside of Dangerfield, Selwood and Hawkins.

Really hard to gauge a key forwards trajectory, compared to say a Parfitt who is a lock to be a B+ player and top 10 from this draft, but Ratugolea has all the pieces to become an elite key forward / ruck. He hasn't had a big break out game for everyone to sit up and take notice but I wouldn't be trading him for many, if any, from this draft. Heading into the season I would almost say he is our most important player outside of Dangerfield, Selwood and Hawkins.
I like Parfitt. Was highly rated by our boards resident draft watcher. But he's not top 10 from this draft. Should easily be top 20 though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back