2016 - Thrash Album discussion/reviews *80's classic era bands*

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 30, 2012
Midnight Sea
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cronulla Sharks
2016 has seen a steady release of albums from some of the classic 80's Thrash bands - including 3 of the "big 4". There has been of course many "thrash/neo thrash" etc album releases for 2016 but the purpose of this thread is to review what has been a bumper year for 80's classic era band new releases - which have been been of a very high standard IMHO.

• Anthrax - For All Kings
  • Megadeth - Dystopia
  • Metallica - Hardwired... To Self-Destruct
  • Testament - Brotherhood Of The Snake
  • Suicidal Tendancies - World Gone Mad
  • Metal Church - XI
  • Voivod - Post Society
  • Exhumer - The Raging Tides
  • Prong - X (No Absolutes)
  • Death Angel - The Evil Divide

Apologies if I have forgotten any - please add them to the discussion.

Basically I have really enjoyed the releases this year and re-discovering some of the back catalogues of bands I have really loved from youth.

For my money I have really enjoyed Anthrax's FOR ALL KINGS & Megadeth's DYSTOPIA but the best by far IMHO is Testament's - BROTHERHOOD OF THE SNAKE. Check it out. Suicidal's WORLD GONE MAD has it's moments as well.

The other albums are not bad - have highlights but not as strong.

Will check out.

I was surprised at how strong the new Testament album was. Gene Hoglan is on top of his game.

I really liked Anthrax's release earlier in the year as well. Some of the best tracks are towards the end of the album.

Something about the last few Testament albums that just doesn't connect with me for any great length of time. Can't put my finger on it. I reckon maybe they are bit too shiny & polished ya know? As Dumb pointed out, check out latest Destruction too, was pretty good.

Something about the last few Testament albums that just doesn't connect with me for any great length of time. Can't put my finger on it. I reckon maybe they are bit too shiny & polished ya know? As Dumb pointed out, check out latest Destruction too, was pretty good.
I just think the rhythm section is really strong. Gene Hoglan is one of the best hired guns on the skins going. Maybe it's just me - I though the vocals were good - riffs, production, song subjects and lyrics. It resonates with me anyways.

I have listened to that Sodom release now too. Holy s**t - not bad at all.:thumbsu::thumbsu: Sorry I missed that one earlier - it ******* destroys sacks.

I just think it's great to have the classic era bands still release worthwhile stuff still.

I think with the exception of a few tracks the Metallica album is a bit underwhelming but to be honest perhaps it's hard to objectively rate Metallica albums when compared to their earlier masterpieces.

I wasn't impressed with for all kings tbh....was really looking forward to it as well
Fav is still actually we've come for you all, stomp 442 is up there, persistence of time as well
Havent listened to testament since the legacy, but had practice, new order (?) And the first album all on cassette

I did like For All Kings - but I think the better tracks are towards the end of the album (Blood Eagle Wings, Defend/Avenge - classic distinctive Anthrax sound)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back