2016 Womens All Stars, 7.10pm, Sat, Sept 3, Western Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, I think the weakest attribute the women seem to have, compared to men, is their ability to judge the ball in the air.

I think that had more of an impact than smaller hands.

That's why Harris and Hope on both ends dominated last night, they were able to read the flight of the ball a lot better than their opponent.

Like Basketball, need to have a smaller ball.

The issue with this game and the up coming league is that this game was the best of the best.

The standard of the actual league will drop right off because all these upper tier players will now be split off into their individual AFL sides and the players that will come into those sides will be of a much lower standard.

I don't think having this amount of high exposure for the league this early on is a good thing. The standard just won't be there for entertainment purposes.

That's true to a point. But with extra training sessions and expect coaching and poaching of other sports the gap will be less.

The standard will improve exponentially because there are thousands of teenagers playing at the moment and more coming quick. Last nights game was great, but will look old school in only a few years.

Having watched female football of another code similar to Aussie Rules over the last 20 years develop I think it will reach a point where it plateaus and doesn't move too far from that standard once it has gotten to that point.

The highest (imo) standard the women's comp will reach is something between under 16 boys and u/18 boys.

Having watched female football of another code similar to Aussie Rules over the last 20 years develop I think it will reach a point where it plateaus and doesn't move too far from that standard once it has gotten to that point.

The highest (imo) standard the women's comp will reach is something between under 16 boys and u/18 boys.
yeah, but played in a slightly different style compared to them.

the Matildas, in a game which really shouldnt be famous, lost in a training game 6-0 to the under 16's of the newcastle Jets. but most of the goals were from corners or crosses where the women couldnt complete to the physical play of the men.

and tennis, the most "even" pro sport between the sexes; the best women could probably match the top 500 man.

i am a doubter still but the ratings were surprising good. i dont think that will translate well to the league itself. but the AFL should be able to make the grand final a suitable event.

I still have major doubts about the general quality and the gap between good and bad. Hope is a chance to kick 100 in 9 games(?) if that was the best defender in the league. the AFL must ensure that the best girls can play more than one sport just to improve the general quality in the league. In a talent war, the AFL will lose more than they gain.

Edit: doubter as in this league paying for itself in 10 years. if the afl are really in it to give a pathway to young girls then they wont care about that.

I still have major doubts about the general quality and the gap between good and bad. Hope is a chance to kick 100 in 9 games(?) if that was the best defender in the league. the AFL must ensure that the best girls can play more than one sport just to improve the general quality in the league. In a talent war, the AFL will lose more than they gain.

Edit: doubter as in this league paying for itself in 10 years. if the afl are really in it to give a pathway to young girls then they wont care about that.

I think sooner or later some 6 2 , 90kgs super athlete will come along and she'll just run roughshod over the rest of the competition and make them look very average.

It'll have the look of an under 16 players running round in under 10's. Won't be a good look

The fact they are just going to go out and try and pinch athletes from other sports also sounds like a really bad idea. As we see in the AFL, recruiting an athlete doesn't equate to a good footballer.

If they bring in all these women from other sporting backgrounds the standard of the league will drop even further in regards to the skill of the game.

If they want to find some half decent footballers they should head down to the local Gaelic football leagues around the states and pick up a few of the women in those comps. They are a better bet to be able to cross over into the AFL game than recruiting netballers, basketballers and touch football players.

I went along to the ground and it was so fun. Heaps of people there, lots of families and so many parents delightedly showing their little girls a sport they might like to play one day. Great atmosphere. The crowd was generally friendly, knowledgeable and enthusiastic (but that's Footscray for you - biased local). I think the smaller ball and minor rule changes would have provided an extra challenge (and Melbourne need goal-kicking practice!) but overall it was a great showcase. Wish the Cats had a team for next year!

* It's also interesting to re-read this thread this afternoon and after all the positive, perceptive and relevant comments from people who were actually watching the game last night, you've got the naysayers who 'could only watch 5 minutes' but still care enough to post about it the next day. You're so cool, not liking something! Good for you!

Was interested in it whilst it was a contest then switched it off in the third. Some good passages of play but a long way to go. Turnovers and skill execution from some of the best talent was unfortunate for the league. Up to the AFL to commit to it to try and make it successful. Had a curiosity factor but if a Swans team came into it I could see myself having a mild interest which could turn into support and enjoyment. Hope it works out but looks a long way off.

I didn't see all of the game but I really enjoyed what I saw of it , look forward to seeing some games next year and it will only get bigger and bigger.

This is not a word of a lie but if a coach told me i had to stand in the defensive hole (30m out from goal) in front of either Moanna Hope or Jesse White id pick White , Hope looks like she actually loves crashing packs.

I was working last night so I taped the game and have only watched to Half Time so far, but I'm really enjoying it.

Will definitely follow the season when it starts. Why wouldn't you?

Problem is that was the best of the best put into two teams...
Now take that game and dilute it down to having only say 4 of the best of the best playing in each team with 18 other top ups...
The talent inst there yet. The numbers playing that can be chosen from isnt there yet.
It will struggle for many years yet! have to either back it in for the long LONG haul or let it die a slow death in the first 5 years max

To be honest it wasn't great. Ill give it a go next season to see if i can get into it but i wouldn't be getting my hopes up

Agree that a slightly smaller ball could be a good idea

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem is that was the best of the best put into two teams...
Now take that game and dilute it down to having only say 4 of the best of the best playing in each team with 18 other top ups...
The talent inst there yet. The numbers playing that can be chosen from isnt there yet.
It will struggle for many years yet! have to either back it in for the long LONG haul or let it die a slow death in the first 5 years max
For some reason your post reminds me of a definition I once read - A conservative is someone who believes nothing should be tried for the first time.

I'm quite prepared to give it a couple of seasons, even if it would appear you're not.

For some reason your post reminds me of a definition I once read - A conservative is someone who believes nothing should be tried for the first time.

I'm quite prepared to give it a couple of seasons, even if it would appear you're not.

haha no i get what your saying. but the ground work isnt there yet. need 1000s more girls coming through. And if thats the best they have its certainly not ready yet

His point was you have to give it many years if you want to give it a proper chance to succeed and you even said there you would give it a couple of years. A couple of years isn't going to do anything, it will take a fair while for the quality to pick up

His point was you have to give it many years if you want to give it a proper chance to succeed and you even said there you would give it a couple of years. A couple of years isn't going to do anything, it will take a fair while for the quality to pick up
I think you underestimate the scale of the growth, and the effect that having the current 14 year olds coming through, know that there is an AFL to aspire to, will have. The under 18 youth girls have players that would be a standout who will not even be old enough to nominate.

The only blip would be if the AFL expanded to fast. If it goes from 8 squads of 25 to 12 squads of 30, that will suck up all the extra talent.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I think you underestimate the scale of the growth, and the effect that having the current 14 year olds coming through, know that there is an AFL to aspire to, will have. The under 18 youth girls have players that would be a standout who will not even be old enough to nominate.

The only blip would be if the AFL expanded to fast. If it goes from 8 squads of 25 to 12 squads of 30, that will suck up all the extra talent.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

It will still be 4 years before the current 14yos come through and realistically you want them to be starting at a younger age than that to get real quality

It will still be 4 years before the current 14yos come through and realistically you want them to be starting at a younger age than that to get real quality

I don't know about that, a genuinely sporting and athletic kid, who has dabbled in a range of sports can come to our game aged 13 and catch up to his or her peers quite quickly.

We go on about the standard of the women's game a lot here, but to be honest the reason for having a women's league isn't primarily to provide a high-standard spectacle - primarily, it is, to have a league for women.

How fantastic must it be for young girls who love sport, to be able to dream of becoming a professional footballer? To be able to tell the boys at lunchtime that girls can play footy too - and point to the evidence on TV? To commentate themselves kicking the ball around the backyard - like we all did - but not know that it's an unrealistic dream?

See what it meant to the Dogs team when they were awarded the cup, and what the whole thing meant to Susan Alberti. She wasn't on the verge of tears because the standard was good.

The standard was good enough for plenty of people on Saturday and for the meantime, that'll do.

Wow, so much pessimism. Of course it's impossible for me to know if it's because you're so invested in this new league that you fear gloom and doom already because the AFL hasn't gone about it precisely the way you would have, in which case I'd say take a chill pill dude, Rome wasn't built in a day; or because you have a particular fear of it succeeding, in which case I'd only have to ask why on earth would anyone want a women's AFL comp to do anything but thrive?

I'll tell you where I'm coming from: I happen to like watching women play Aussie Rules. I don't particularly care about the standard, unless it's downright embarrassing, which I highly doubt this comp will be. I also want my daughter, and my sons, to grow up thinking it's utterly unremarkable for girls and women to play our great game. And finally, to tell you the truth, in this day and age, I increasingly find the notion of an exclusively-male sport a little quaint and ridiculous.

But have I been avidly watching, with bated breath, every step as this new league develops? No. I've never even watched a game of women's footy live. Hell, living in NSW, I'm not even sure how much of it is even on offer here.

So I'm not remotely emotionally invested in the whole enterprise, other than that I hope it succeeds because I love our game and this would be a very significant green field for it harvest. If it falls in a heap, so be it, but I will be keenly watching it for a couple of years at least, probably not perturbed by the standard of play on display as you and the other poster appear to be, and if it still floats my boat by then, I'll keep following it. Otherwise, no biggie. Why so much pre-emptive stressing? At least let it start to grow.

For those thinking about the depth.
Youth girls all star game here http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/index.php?id=748
It is a mix of 15 to 18 year olds, with a few relatively new to the sport. Only the 18 year olds will be draftable.
If you are interested in how the new league will go, give it a bit of a look, even if it is just 15 min for the first quarter.

Wow, so much pessimism. Of course it's impossible for me to know if it's because you're so invested in this new league that you fear gloom and doom already because the AFL hasn't gone about it precisely the way you would have, in which case I'd say take a chill pill dude, Rome wasn't built in a day; or because you have a particular fear of it succeeding, in which case I'd only have to ask why on earth would anyone want a women's AFL comp to do anything but thrive?

I'll tell you where I'm coming from: I happen to like watching women play Aussie Rules. I don't particularly care about the standard, unless it's downright embarrassing, which I highly doubt this comp will be. I also want my daughter, and my sons, to grow up thinking it's utterly unremarkable for girls and women to play our great game. And finally, to tell you the truth, in this day and age, I increasingly find the notion of an exclusively-male sport a little quaint and ridiculous.

But have I been avidly watching, with bated breath, every step as this new league develops? No. I've never even watched a game of women's footy live. Hell, living in NSW, I'm not even sure how much of it is even on offer here.

So I'm not remotely emotionally invested in the whole enterprise, other than that I hope it succeeds because I love our game and this would be a very significant green field for it harvest. If it falls in a heap, so be it, but I will be keenly watching it for a couple of years at least, probably not perturbed by the standard of play on display as you and the other poster appear to be, and if it still floats my boat by then, I'll keep following it. Otherwise, no biggie. Why so much pre-emptive stressing? At least let it start to grow.

Great post --
Really liked this comment ----"very significant green field for it harvest" --Of course we will now wait for the 2016 Womens participation figures to come out. There were 318,000 incl Auskick last year. The AFL was hoping to add another 95 teams this year. IF that occurs that will increase our presence even more, with the other Womens sports growing as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back