Draft Watcher 2016 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phantom Draft - Post Trade Week Edition
*Brisbane bid on Jack Bowes*

3. Gold Coast - Jack Bowes (187cm, 78kg midfielder from Surfers Paradise)

AFL Comparison: Bryce Gibbs (Carlton)
Chances are he'll receive a bid from Brisbane, but I've dropped it down one in my draft. There's no doubting he'll be bid on before the Suns pick, and they'll match as quickly as anything. Arguably the best player in the draft, his year hasn't been quite as consistent and flashy as others. Perfect size for a modern day midfielder, he has plenty of time and composure with the ball in hand.

4. Brisbane - Ben Ainsworth (179cm, 74kg midfielder/forward from Gippsland Power)

AFL Comparison: Toby Greene (GWS)
I would be more than happy if Fremantle were to pick Ainsworth, which says it all really. He's not quite getting the attention that other likely top 10 picks are, but he's up there for a reason. I see no reason he wont average 20+ touches a game, and be a 40+ a season goal kicker. And like Greene, he's got a bit of fight to him too. He can be a match winner on his day.

*Carlton bid on Will Setterfield*

17. Brisbane - Will Hayward (186cm, 76kg forward from North Adelaide)

AFL Comparison: James Sicily (Hawthorn)
Hayward is one player who you would have to call a bolter, he's come on late in the season and looks almost certain to be the first South Australian taken. But I'd argue he hasn't come from as back as people may think. Unlucky not to be named All Australian at the U18 Championships, he was one of the most dangerous forwards. Very good in the air, he probably wont ever get more than 10-15 touches but can kick a bunch of goals from few chances.

*Sydney bid on Jacob Allison*

20. Brisbane - Jacob Allison
(194cm, 79kg midfielder from Aspley)

AFL Comparison: Dean Towers (Sydney)
Bit of a forgotten man almost, I'm expecting a bid earlier than many will expect. Everyone seems to be looking for who can be developed into a tall midfielder, and Allison is right there for the taking. Talked as a top 5 pick coming into the year, I expect his testing at the Combine to have shot him right back up into first round calculations. A 194cm midfielder with elite speed and a long kick won't last too long.

Hey Chris25 love reading your U18/draft coverage.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brisbane did bid on Bowes, and I like picking Ainsworth with pick 3.

I don't see Brisbane selecting a second forward in the draft. It's pretty clear what we need, a HFF that offers defensive pressure (Ainsworth), a rebounding HBF, an inside contested mid, and some speed inside and outside of the midfield.

Oliver Florent would have been ideal at 16, but I feel it's an outside chance that he lasts till then. Otherwise an inside mid or Alex Witherden would be a good pick at 16.

I don't believe anyone on the Brisbane board see's Allison being bid on so early, and it's questionable wether we'd match a bid with one of our top four picks.

Hey Chris25 love reading your U18/draft coverage.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brisbane did bid on Bowes, and I like picking Ainsworth with pick 3.

I don't see Brisbane selecting a second forward in the draft. It's pretty clear what we need, a HFF that offers defensive pressure (Ainsworth), a rebounding HBF, an inside contested mid, and some speed inside and outside of the midfield.

Oliver Florent would have been ideal at 16, but I feel it's an outside chance that he lasts till then. Otherwise an inside mid or Alex Witherden would be a good pick at 16.

I don't believe anyone on the Brisbane board see's Allison being bid on so early, and it's questionable wether we'd match a bid with one of our top four picks.

In terms of Will Hayward, I accept it's not a major need - particularly if you do address the forward line already with Ainsworth. But, I also look at the Brisbane side and don't really see many of those third medium forward types. If you add Hayward to the mix, it sort of bridges the gap between the smalls and talls and makes for a much more balanced looking forward line. He's also someone I've watched quite closely, and I do think he has midfield potential too. So he could potentially fit that HFF with defensive pressure and outside midfielder with speed.

Speaking of speed, that's what I think makes Allison a high bid. I know nobody is talking about him anymore, and I'm sure the Brisbane board would like him to receive a third round bid at the earliest. But he ran the fastest 20m sprint at the Combine, at 194cm. I see people talking about whether Scrimshaw and even Logue can be made into midfielders, and nobody even thinks about Allison. But if you look at his 2015, he was a genuine midfielder and shaping up as a top 5 pick. Yes, he fell off a cliff in 2016. And it could be a Jonathon Marsh like case, of speed and size not being everything. But Allison does have more runs on the board, and the potential to play in any number of positions.

Also, you'll be happy to know I have Alex Witherden going to Brisbane at their second round pick.

Your picks 6-10 excite me and for me provide justification for trading down from pick 3. Happy Days.

I'm pretty happy we traded down. I'd have liked Ben Ainsworth, but otherwise I think the talent is just as good as we would have had at #3 and there's obviously still a good chance of SPS being there. And it saves us from reaching too far on someone like English or Logue.

In terms of Will Hayward, I accept it's not a major need - particularly if you do address the forward line already with Ainsworth. But, I also look at the Brisbane side and don't really see many of those third medium forward types. If you add Hayward to the mix, it sort of bridges the gap between the smalls and talls and makes for a much more balanced looking forward line. He's also someone I've watched quite closely, and I do think he has midfield potential too. So he could potentially fit that HFF with defensive pressure and outside midfielder with speed.

Speaking of speed, that's what I think makes Allison a high bid. I know nobody is talking about him anymore, and I'm sure the Brisbane board would like him to receive a third round bid at the earliest. But he ran the fastest 20m sprint at the Combine, at 194cm. I see people talking about whether Scrimshaw and even Logue can be made into midfielders, and nobody even thinks about Allison. But if you look at his 2015, he was a genuine midfielder and shaping up as a top 5 pick. Yes, he fell off a cliff in 2016. And it could be a Jonathon Marsh like case, of speed and size not being everything. But Allison does have more runs on the board, and the potential to play in any number of positions.

Also, you'll be happy to know I have Alex Witherden going to Brisbane at their second round pick.
After addressing the forward line last year I think the Lions would look at midfielders Schwab has already stated that is our major issue getting enough midfielders so they develop with Andrews Hipwood Schache McStay Gardiner perhaps one more forward but that's where someone like Ainsworth would fit in who can also play midfield another running defender that would develop with Cutler would also be good

After addressing the forward line last year I think the Lions would look at midfielders Schwab has already stated that is our major issue getting enough midfielders so they develop with Andrews Hipwood Schache McStay Gardiner perhaps one more forward but that's where someone like Ainsworth would fit in who can also play midfield another running defender that would develop with Cutler would also be good

The prospect of finishing the forward line with those two picks would be tempting for me. Schache, Hipwood, Hayward and Ainsworth could all develop together and be set for the next 10 years. But I accept it's unlikely, I just think it'd a good value pick there. If it weren't for the Allison bid, I'd have had Brisbane taking another midfielder.

I've got Brisbane taking Ainsworth with their 1st Pick and Jye Sympkin with their 2nd Pick.

Re-unite last years dominant Vic Country forward line of Schache, Ainsworth and Sympkin. Great chemistry and probably mateship with the three and hopefully shores up Schache at the Lions longterm too.Both are worthy of those positions in the draft too. Fagin is big on having a couple of gun small forwards.

That's the way i think they will go. Then look at a bigger midfielder or whoever else piques their interest with their picks in the early 20's.

Second Round

27. Carlton - Kobe Mutch (184cm, 79kg midfielder from Bendigo Pioneers)

AFL Comparison: Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
Personally, I think Mutch is a better prospect than Harry Perryman but I'm generally alone in that view and I don't see GWS matching a bid here. They'll have other targets, and they already have plenty of quality midfielders not getting game time. I thought Mutch was one of the better midfielders for the Allies, and he's very much a dual sided player. It's always a good thing when you can watch a player and not know whether he's a natural left or right foot kick.
The statement about us having too many quality midfielders not getting game time in untrue. Since the trade period the midfielders we have outside the 22 are Matt Kennedy and jake Barrett (likely to be delisted). 2 does not equal plenty

The statement about us having too many quality midfielders not getting game time in untrue. Since the trade period the midfielders we have outside the 22 are Matt Kennedy and jake Barrett (likely to be delisted). 2 does not equal plenty

Well it was true when I wrote it.

Add in McGrath, Setterfield and Perryman. That creates depth. Deledio pushes someone out from last year too. And suddenly Mutch might not even be in at the centre bounces in the Reserves side. And as I've written about elsewhere, GWS have some even better Academy prospects next year. Better to save points for Macreade, Sproule and Garthwaite. And avoid going into a deficit next year.

Well it was true when I wrote it.

Add in McGrath, Setterfield and Perryman. That creates depth. Deledio pushes someone out from last year too. And suddenly Mutch might not even be in at the centre bounces in the Reserves side. And as I've written about elsewhere, GWS have some even better Academy prospects next year. Better to save points for Macreade, Sproule and Garthwaite. And avoid going into a deficit next year.
Ah I understand.

From the 22 that played in the prelim we have lost Patfull and palmer. Deledio takes patfulls spot and Johnson comes back into the 22.

We actually have more depth in our KPD than any other position at the moment so I could see garthwaite being passed as opposed to the midfielders but given that we have over 6000 points for this draft I can see us taking the following players

McGrath/mcluggage
Setterfield
Perryman
Macreadie
Sproule
Mutch
Cumming

Ah I understand.

From the 22 that played in the prelim we have lost Patfull and palmer. Deledio takes patfulls spot and Johnson comes back into the 22.

We actually have more depth in our KPD than any other position at the moment so I could see garthwaite being passed as opposed to the midfielders but given that we have over 6000 points for this draft I can see us taking the following players

McGrath/mcluggage
Setterfield
Perryman
Macreadie
Sproule
Mutch
Cumming

I still like Garthwaite for the Giants, because of his shut down ability. He just adds something a bit different to the mix. All of Tomlinson, Macreadie, Finlayson and Himmelberg are quite similar. For me, Garthwaite is the only one who could truly be considered a Patfull replacement. If the bid is late enough, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

It'll all depend on how many picks they take, whether they fill the entire senior list or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you rate Logue's chances of developing into a full-time midfielder at AFL level?

An enticing prospect, but I'm not sure he has much exposed form as a mid.

Let me know if or when you'll be going up to Round 5 Chris25.;)

I'll include a pick or two for Hawthorn at the end. But I haven't forgotten them, they sneak their way back into the third round thanks to a F/S...

I've got Brisbane taking Ainsworth with their 1st Pick and Jye Sympkin with their 2nd Pick.

Re-unite last years dominant Vic Country forward line of Schache, Ainsworth and Sympkin. Great chemistry and probably mateship with the three and hopefully shores up Schache at the Lions longterm too.Both are worthy of those positions in the draft too. Fagin is big on having a couple of gun small forwards.

That's the way i think they will go. Then look at a bigger midfielder or whoever else piques their interest with their picks in the early 20's.
Yeah, I would be on board with Ainsworth and Simpkin.

How do you rate Logue's chances of developing into a full-time midfielder at AFL level?

An enticing prospect, but I'm not sure he has much exposed form as a mid.

I just don't know why you would turn him into a full time midfielder? A quality key defender is just as important. And he looks like one of the best in the draft.

As a CHB, he could still impact the midfield. Run in at the centre bounce, rebound through the middle. But then you get to maximise his intercept marking in the back half too. As a midfielder, I feel like he'd rely too much on size and strength.

Harrison Macreadie has the better game to translate across into being a midfielder. He has the smarts and movement through traffic. There's also Berry, Scrimshaw, Allison, Ridley and Duman who could be developed into the tall midfielder role. Personally, I'd be leaving Logue down back.

I just don't know why you would turn him into a full time midfielder? A quality key defender is just as important. And he looks like one of the best in the draft.

As a CHB, he could still impact the midfield. Run in at the centre bounce, rebound through the middle. But then you get to maximise his intercept marking in the back half too. As a midfielder, I feel like he'd rely too much on size and strength.

Harrison Macreadie has the better game to translate across into being a midfielder. He has the smarts and movement through traffic. There's also Berry, Scrimshaw, Allison, Ridley and Duman who could be developed into the tall midfielder role. Personally, I'd be leaving Logue down back.
I was looking at it specifically from Port's drafting POV.

I'm pretty confident in our tall defender stocks (Trengove, Austin, Hombsch, Clurey, Jonas), but not our midfield group. Bringing Logue in with the hope of him becoming a midfielder, with the fallback option of a very solid defender is pretty appealing.

I'd absolutely be taking Berry ahead of him at 14, but I'd assume that if Logue is available at 14, he's probably going to be available at 17 too.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm a bit curious as to the logic behind the bid on Callum Brown coming right before Collingwood's pick #28, despite the fact that you have him rated at #45.

Why would you expect a bid to come in significantly higher than your ranking of him, particularly given that he's a father-son prospect, which we've seen result in later bids than otherwise justified, and he's a small midfielder, the type least likely to get another club excited?

I'm a bit curious as to the logic behind the bid on Callum Brown coming right before Collingwood's pick #28, despite the fact that you have him rated at #45.

Why would you expect a bid to come in significantly higher than your ranking of him, particularly given that he's a father-son prospect, which we've seen result in later bids than otherwise justified, and he's a small midfielder, the type least likely to get another club excited?
He's ratings have no bearing on where clubs see players bid he has Allison rated lower but bid on by Sydney

He's ratings have no bearing on where clubs see players bid he has Allison rated lower but bid on by Sydney
I understand they're not directly linked, but in Allison's case, he's a KPP, which have a tendency to be slightly overvalued in the draft, and therefore taken higher. A small midfielder is the exact opposite.

I understand they're not directly linked, but in Allison's case, he's a KPP, which have a tendency to be slightly overvalued in the draft, and therefore taken higher. A small midfielder is the exact opposite.
2 small midfielders taken high are Prestia and Taylor most might see what Daniel did last season and start rating smaller midfielders they are starting to be recognized now

Hi Chris

I think your picks are very close..and all make sense.

Dogs needs are small forward -Betts clone
Backman who can replace Morris
Outside onballer

Bolton
Rotham

are perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back