Opinion 2017 Draft Discussion - Pick 3 - Poll added

Who we are likely to take at Pick 3 .......

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no real way to know that without a crystal ball or fortune teller. What we do know is one of them will be entering his third season in the AFL system and will be further developed and one of them wont be. And we already know that SOS is very keen on Hopper. Id be wanting more than Hopper alone for the 2018 first FWIW.

Personally, I don't care if SOS is keen on Hopper or that 'said' player has a few more years in the system, I only care about whether I think trading a (probably early) first rounder is currently a good idea or not. The fact that we don't know much about next years' draft crop works two ways.

Last edited:

Seen a few people throw the US rookie ruckman into consideration for a late pick. Given we're currently working with Korchek, is there much point committing to teaching another Yank how to football? Surely a 4 year project player with a snowball's chance in hell of making it is a silly path to take. If we want a ruckman, it needs to be someone who could feasibly come into the seniors in 2019/20 (ie. mature age draftee, traded in player, or 18-year-old prodigy) otherwise we're just treading water.

If we want to use a Cat B spot, I'd rather dip back into the Irish talent pool and bring a young fella over for Byrne to mentor. We'd get a player with a decent starting skill base, and would get the added benefit of giving Byrne a better case to stick around if Sheehan has to be let go.

Agreed. Don't want to be trading ourselves completely out of the first round if possible, and if we do it should get us a couple of bites at the cherry.

Most had us climbing to 12-14 on the ladder leading into this season. Reality hits and we're looking at a top 2-3 pick. If we trade next year's first we need to assign an assumed value of Pick 2 to make sure we're covered in the event of a bad year.
Ummmm most had us bottom or second bottom this year with Brisbane. I read ladder predictions on the AFL website before round 1 and not one person had us above 17th. We will get pick 2 and hopefully nail a gun goal kicking mid, try and manufacture another first round pick, get back into the second round and then hope we nail them or get some trades

Ummmm most had us bottom or second bottom this year with Brisbane. I read ladder predictions on the AFL website before round 1 and not one person had us above 17th. We will get pick 2 and hopefully nail a gun goal kicking mid, try and manufacture another first round pick, get back into the second round and then hope we nail them or get some trades

I'm talking about folks here, not necessarily the media. Plenty of people were optimistic that we'd improve on last year's showing.

I'm simply saying that, if we're discussing trading next year's pick, we need to work on the basis that it will be around the Pick 2 mark. That way we don't lose out by trading it. If last October we'd traded this year's first rounder for Hopper, we'd be faced with the prospect of missing out on a LDU/Fogarty/Rayner type player.

I'm talking about folks here, not necessarily the media. Plenty of people were optimistic that we'd improve on last year's showing.

I'm simply saying that, if we're discussing trading next year's pick, we need to work on the basis that it will be around the Pick 2 mark. That way we don't lose out by trading it. If last October we'd traded this year's first rounder for Hopper, we'd be faced with the prospect of missing out on a LDU/Fogarty/Rayner type player.
Yeah I'd agree with all those points. Unless with get a later first back I'd be reluctant to trade 2018 first rounder for Hopper alone

#38 –
For our third round pick I’m placing a little more emphasis on picking for needs which in this case is for a Key Forward. Although he may not slide to this pick, Noah Balta (Calder Cannons / Vic Metro) is the guy I like. A 193cm, 88kg, athletic key forward who possesses rare speed, a terrific leap, and certain X-factor. He consistently breaks lines and could form a formidable partnership with H.McKay as a roaming forward.
)

Really like the pick and he's a guy I've mentioned previously. However, there is no way that I see him being available at pick 38. He's someone whose physical attributes will see his stock soar throughout the season. He'll be a pick in the teens. If we end up trading Gibbs to Adelaide and we keep the pick instead of using it to bring in another player with two or three years of development I wouldn't be shocked if we used it on him.

Optimistic without being realistic I would suggest.

Personally, I don't care if SOS is keen on Hopper or that 'said' player has a few more years in the system, I only care about whether I think trading a (probably early) first rounder is currently a good idea or not. The fact that we don't know much about next years' draft crop works two ways.

The fact we don't know anything much about the 2018 draft crop means we can only base a decision on what we currently know.

#38 –
For our third round pick I’m placing a little more emphasis on picking for needs which in this case is for a Key Forward. Although he may not slide to this pick, Noah Balta (Calder Cannons / Vic Metro) is the guy I like. A 193cm, 88kg, athletic key forward who possesses rare speed, a terrific leap, and certain X-factor. He consistently breaks lines and could form a formidable partnership with H.McKay as a roaming forward.
Should be getting some great insight on forward play from Lance Whitnall at the Cannons this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be getting some great insight on forward play from Lance Whitnall at the Cannons this year.
Apparently he's being played predominantly in the ruck with rotations both forward and in defence. I hope they settle him forward so he can can get some continuity into his performances.

Seen a few people throw the US rookie ruckman into consideration for a late pick. Given we're currently working with Korchek, is there much point committing to teaching another Yank how to football? Surely a 4 year project player with a snowball's chance in hell of making it is a silly path to take. If we want a ruckman, it needs to be someone who could feasibly come into the seniors in 2019/20 (ie. mature age draftee, traded in player, or 18-year-old prodigy) otherwise we're just treading water.

Drew Martin 22yo, 201cm, 92kg was the fastest player at the international combine, running the 20m sprint in 2.84sec.
Finished 5th best in the relative running vertical jump (85cm).
Finished 1st in the standing verticle jump (80cm).
And finished 3rd in the 3km time trial (12m17sec).
Thats 4 out of 7 events they test that he came in the top 5.
Korcheck came 3rd in the time trial but wasnt in the top of any other events.

I guess my point is that with our game growing, more recognition is being given to it from athletes from other countries. Just because we already have Korcheck doesn't mean we shouldn't keep our eye out. Drew may not be the best way to go but worth exploring nonetheless.

Drew Martin 22yo, 201cm, 92kg was the fastest player at the international combine, running the 20m sprint in 2.84sec.
Finished 5th best in the relative running vertical jump (85cm).
Finished 1st in the standing verticle jump (80cm).
And finished 3rd in the 3km time trial (12m17sec).
Thats 4 out of 7 events they test that he came in the top 5.
Korcheck came 3rd in the time trial but wasnt in the top of any other events.

I guess my point is that with our game growing, more recognition is being given to it from athletes from other countries. Just because we already have Korcheck doesn't mean we shouldn't keep our eye out. Drew may not be the best way to go but worth exploring nonetheless.

It's an impressive showing, that's for sure. My concern is with how long it takes to learn the specifics of our game, and the fact that not everyone can do it. If we're going to sign another Cat B American ruck prospect, you'd have to assume it's because we don't think Korcheck will make the grade.

If we rate Korcheck and think he can play as the main ruck at AFL level in a couple of years, then there's no need to recruit another ruckman as Kreuzer, Phillips and Korcheck give us a good age spread, and Casboult/Jones/McKay feasibly offer some relief when they're playing forward.

If we don't think Korcheck will make the cut, then delisting him and going back to the US for another Hail Mary long-shot recruitment seems counterintuitive. If Martin doesn't come on either, then we've pumped 4-6 years of development time into two international players when we could have picked up a young Aussie ruckman who knows the game, and used the Cat B spot for an Irish candidate with a Gaelic football background (which, as we've seen with a number of players, translates pretty well to our game).

#74 –
A gem if he slips this far but Ethan Penrith (Northern Knights) should be our first player drafted from our Next Generation Academy (NGA), and can be picked up under the same rules as father-son.
The exciting 179cm, 74kg rebounding defender enjoys taking the game on by using his line-breaking speed to launch attacks out of the defensive 50. Despite his size, agility and attacking nature, Penrith is also very combative and isn’t afraid to get stuck in and win the contested ball. It is this trait which helped see him win the Knights’ Defensive Player of the Year in 2016 as a bottom ager. He needs to work on his disposal, which can lack polish when he is at full tilt, but he has a very solid base to build on. He may also be picked up for a CAT B Rookie if he isn’t bid on in the senior or rookie draft.
)
Needs to be working on his kicking right now, because unless it improves I can't see Bolton or SOS being interested in picking up a player with poor disposal, regardless of being an academy pick.

For the "Korcheck or nothing" crew, let's remember we had a few false starts with Irishmen and only Setanta and Zach played 50+ games.

Having said that, yes I don't want Liam Jones as our backup ruck if Phillips is unavailable!

Yeah I'd agree with all those points. Unless with get a later first back I'd be reluctant to trade 2018 first rounder for Hopper alone
Pick swap with GWS of 2018 first rounders plus Hopper looks a fair deal. They theoretically go from #18 to #2, and we get Hopper but stay in the first round in 2018. Given what they did to get Taranto (#2) last year this is not unprecedented.

Pick swap with GWS of 2018 first rounders plus Hopper looks a fair deal. They theoretically go from #18 to #2, and we get Hopper but stay in the first round in 2018. Given what they did to get Taranto (#2) last year this is not unprecedented.

Agree , sounds reasonable, 2018 draft wiil be a very strong , already a few high quality standouts as good as has been seen for quite a few years .
Our top 5 will be significant and in demand if it's ever on the table.
As for 2017 , Jaiden Stephenson is my choice the best natural talent in the pool. Hopefully Silvagni & Brodie call out his name.
Go Baggers

Really like the pick and he's a guy I've mentioned previously. However, there is no way that I see him being available at pick 38. He's someone whose physical attributes will see his stock soar throughout the season. He'll be a pick in the teens. If we end up trading Gibbs to Adelaide and we keep the pick instead of using it to bring in another player with two or three years of development I wouldn't be shocked if we used it on him.
I feel he will be a slider due to being played out of position most weeks. Probably not to our third but into the second round is my opinion.

Needs to be working on his kicking right now, because unless it improves I can't see Bolton or SOS being interested in picking up a player with poor disposal, regardless of being an academy pick.
I thinks pick at that end or even in the rookie draft are for players with a few deficiencies. Has been written up as a top 50 prospect by a lot of people so I'm not sure we wouldn't give him a crack.

NOAH BALTA | VIC METRO/CALDER CANNONS

DEF | 23/10/99 | 194CM | 92KG

Balta has played most of his football as a forward, but will likely be forced to morph into a key defender during the national carnival and when he steps up to the AFL. His athleticism is a feature of his game, so while he is sometimes undersized, he can use his leaping ability to cause spoils. He spent plenty of time opposed to Ballenden, which was an intruiging contest. Balta looked to run off the big man when possible, though he wasn’t overly damaging with his disposals. He struggled at times with the size of the Allies forward, though he wasn’t alone in that respect. He may be best suited as a third tall due to his athleticism but it’s unlikely we will see him in this role until he is given a chance at senior level.

Why are they going to Livingston him? He's a natural forward.

Back