2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think he will ever bulk up, he just isn't that body type. What we saw from him in that game vs the dogs is how he is gonna play. He is athletic, he will fly for the ball and crash packs, he will gather a loose ball and go for a run with it. He will no doubt gain more strength and add some muscle, but he is going to be a Dustin Fletcher type body.

I'd rather Ballenden was consensus #1 pick and the surest bet in draft history even if it mean using both our pick and Port's to match for him.

Would be great to watch him dominate this year and be certain we have him.

We have our first, port's first, our 2nd and Collingwoods 3rd round pick So say thats something like 5, 8, 23, 42.

Ballendan at 1 matched with 5/8 and receive pick 14 with spare points. at 14 and 23 you still get decent midfielders (noting there is still some chance we'd need to use maybe 23 but probably not 15 to match for Clayton)
Best case scenario - Ballenden is clear pick 1. We have Pick 1 (PA) and Pick 2 (BL). Ballenden goes at 3 to us via academy.

A guy can dream.

I don't think he will ever bulk up, he just isn't that body type. What we saw from him in that game vs the dogs is how he is gonna play. He is athletic, he will fly for the ball and crash packs, he will gather a loose ball and go for a run with it. He will no doubt gain more strength and add some muscle, but he is going to be a Dustin Fletcher type body.
Well I suppose we could settle for just a 400 game career.

I disagree I think he will be quite a big unit by the time he is 22. He grew so much it will take a couple of years to catch up, but he certainly isn't weak in the body on body contests

Weight does not equal strength. Look at Jamie Charman. Did not look huge, but played like he was made of steel. Hippy will be the same. Will never look big, but will have the strength to impact.

Its a fine line, however having a surplus of quality big men on your list isn't really a negative. Good big guys get chased by multiple teams, hence your ability to get something decent back for them in the event of a trade is very good. Still the chances of all of them being on the park for more than half of the games they'd be eligible to play together would be slim I reckon. Still I tend to think Ballenden slides down the list as the year progresses, for all of the reasons in reverse that caused Hipwood to rise closer to the end of the year. Even if we do take him I think he's a good 3-4 years away from really pressing to play AFL football, and that pushes him almost into another age category (experience wise) from Schache and Hipwood. Thats just from my viewing though and could very well be wrong.

The other thing that would make all 3 playing together possible is the fact that they're so different. Schache is your long leading half forward who will outwork his opponent and is a good shot from long distance. Ballenden will translate better into your more full forward big bodied closer to goal type who has the body to go into the ruck. But the one who makes the whole 3 work is Hipwood, athletically he's more like your mid 190cm type guy who floats around jumping all over the place with the pace and agility to require a mid size defender, but the height that requires one of your KPD's. If he keeps developing, and his body holds up he's going to be a nightmare to match up on. People talk about McStay in that third tall role, but Hipwood projects to give you that, the difference is he's 204cm!!!

Still all 3 are less than certain to make it so I think if you've got priority access to quality KPP talent from QLD, you grab it.

It depends what the cost of getting that surplus is thou. Using the 2015 draft and Johns' examples, we'd be passing up Parish and downgrading a Hooper/AhChee to a Rioli. That's a pretty decent cost for someone who will be 3rd in line for an extended time, in a position where a lot of successful teams have only needed 2KPF, some only 1.

A discussion I was trying to generate, was that Ballendens value to us mightn't be that high. Even though he's apart of the academy and a highly rated talent, there could be a few scenarios where the better long term list management is to pass, to address other positions.

You've explained all their attributes exactly how I would, and just because it's not a traditional setup doesn't mean it wouldn't work, it's actually got the potential of something very exciting.

I tend to agree with you about him as a prospect too, I get a Marshall type of vibe, getting the exposure because he's linked to an academy but only showing glimpses (so far)

Until Hipwood bulks up I'm not sure he'll be able to carry the workload of a key forward and if he does end up similar to Westhoff he'll be a third tall anyway.
Already has much better game sense than Westhoff though.

I think one thing we are crying out for is a marquee player. Dayne Beams is probably our closest thing to a marquee player and perhaps a youngster such as Hipwood, Schache or McCluggage will develop in to one but at this stage I feel like we are lacking one.

A marquee player is not only a superstar of the competition but also a big marketing tool and the face of the club. Jonathan Brown was the last true marquee type on our list.

If you look at every other club in the league the majority of teams either have a marquee player in their prime or a young marquee player.

Adelaide Crows- One of the few teams who don't really have an obvious marquee talent. Is it Tex or Sloane or Betts?

Carlton Blues- Patrick Cripps without a shadow of a doubt.

Collingwood Magpies- Pendlebury with Treloar waiting to take over.

Essendon Bombers- Dyson Heppell but Zach Merrett seems to be taking over.

Fremantle Dockers- Nat Fyfe.

Geelong Cats- Patrick Dangerfield.

Gold Coast Suns- Ablett but Tom Lynch is ready to take over.

GWS Giants- Take your pick. Probably Jeremy Cameron.

Hawthorn Hawks- Cyril Rioli.

Melbourne Demon- Jesse Hogan.

North Melbourne- Lacking one like us.

Port Adelaide- Chad Wingard.

Richmond Tigers- Dustin Martin.

St. Kilda Saints- Nick Riewoldt.

Sydney Swans- Buddy Franklin with Issac Heeney waiting in the wings.

West Coast Eagles- Nic Naitanui.

Western Bulldogs- Marcus Bontempelli.

At this stage I think NMFC and the Lions are the two teams lacking one the most with teams like the Pies, Bombers, Port and Crows also lacking a clear choice. I don't think the Saints have a clear option ready to replace Nick Riewoldt either.

At this stage the biggest stars of the league are guys like Fyfe, Dangerfield, Ablett, Franklin, Naitanui, Rioli with Bontempelli, Lynch, Cripps and Hogan the stars of the future. These guys aren't necessarily the best players in the league e.g. I'd rate Pendlebury a superior player to Rioli, however, they are arguably the most marketable/well known and they are all superstars in their own right.

I think it is extra important for a team like us based in Queensland to have a well known, marketable superstar. Drafting a youngster capable of bursting onto the scene like Bontempelli and Hogan did is striking gold as it generates buzz/hype/interest among both the hardcore and casual fans and can help turn a team around both on and off field. Put simply a marquee player is a player that brings the fans through the gates in droves even when the team isn't necessarily performing all that well simply because they are great to watch and are capable of winning a game off their own boot.

I would love nothing more than for us to draft a player this year who bursts onto the scene and becomes an instant star of the competition.
I agree that we don't have that out and out star on our list at the moment, we might but it is very early days and we have brought in a lot of staff around development and this might bring them to the fore. I also feel that it is harder for a top talent to stand out in a team that is lower down the bottom of the table. It's easier to play and be better when you have better players around you IMO. I am quite bullish about this years draft crop and think that there is some real talent at the pointy end and more names will come up. I suggest people have a look at Nathan Kruegers clip as one who will rise up boards very quickly as an example.
We should end up with 2 top 10 picks. It would be good if Ballenden drops to be after those 2 picks so we can use later picks for him. Will net us 2 good mids which is what we need. We still need some top ball winning talent. I love matho but he is a budget pick. Hugh is more of an outside mid, so we need to find some really nice clearance and contested ball winning types. Some Brodie types would be good. I would infact use both picks on inside types.
I toss back and forth with two inside types or an inside/outside combo. I personally feel that it easier to draft more inside types than outside and if there is a kid who is a top 5 outside type then they would have some elite attributes and then he should be looked at e.g. O'Brien. Without knowing anything about next years draft there would be an opportunity to go for another inside type but an elite small forward would be nice too

We do have a lot of inside types on our list and we're not sure the type of player they will become as they're just starting out. I'm a bit more certain than Matho than others and even if he doesn't play as much this year I still see him being an important player in our midfield but another inside type who is elite would help and I can't go past Fogarty at this stage but we'll need a pick 1 or 2.

I do like Worpol but can see that he might be later top ten early teens and if this does happen I hope that the AFL does bring in live trading on Draft night this year and we have the kahunas to trade for Worpol or another top mid. Early days but I think we will all have a number of favourites and that to me just highlights the depth of this years draft.

We seem loaded for key position forwards in Hippy, Schache and Close, although we could go the Adelaide model if they are all good enough. We do need to get our hands on the best mids in the country.

Just read that. Huge news if true as they are both highly rated prospects.
Could shape the draft IMO. Brander is in the conversation for the pick 1 spot and depending on who finishes there let's say Carlton I feel they would go for him. They've had a major focus on their KPD spots and even though they have Harry McKay and Charlie Curnow, Brander would round out their KPF spots.

Could shape the draft IMO. Brander is in the conversation for the pick 1 spot and depending on who finishes there let's say Carlton I feel they would go for him. They've had a major focus on their KPD spots and even though they have Harry McKay and Charlie Curnow, Brander would round out their KPF spots.

There's a whole season to play yet, but Brander is at this stage one of three in conversation for pick 1.

Would the Lions go bpa even if he is a KPF and we've got some highly rated young KPF's already and have Ballenden coming out of the academy?

I would like to see Brisbane bottom (seriously I'm just being realistic and pragmatic) and live draft night trading brought in. Could see a team like Carlton trading pick 3 and a 3rd rounder on the night for Brander.

Also has a genuine impact on whether we have to use Port's pick on matching a bid for Ballenden.

just watched some highlights and Darcy Fogarty is a bit of a freak.. Quite a unique skillset and strong as an ox with room for development, bit of a Dangerfield/Stringer vibe going on..

Also like Worpel alot, very active.. Darcy Parish, Cotchin vibe.

Ballenden is uncanny for Tom Boyd.. slow on the lead but great positioning and hands.

Will be another fun year of prospects to watch..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a whole season to play yet, but Brander is at this stage one of three in conversation for pick 1.

Would the Lions go bpa even if he is a KPF and we've got some highly rated young KPF's already and have Ballenden coming out of the academy?

I would like to see Brisbane bottom (seriously I'm just being realistic and pragmatic) and live draft night trading brought in. Could see a team like Carlton trading pick 3 and a 3rd rounder on the night for Brander.

Also has a genuine impact on whether we have to use Port's pick on matching a bid for Ballenden.
If finishing last means Fogarty then this year I'll take it but I've been proud to say the last two seasons that we didn't get the spoon. This is why Brander being in the mix could help in that way possibly by finishing second if Carlton were to go for him and we could still get Fogarty.

I also hope that they bring in live trading come draft night but for different reasons. Without getting into who might leave in acquiring more picks could be better used in situations like this. Let's say Rocky goes and we get end of first round and using our second rounder we could use those to get another highly rated mid.

Long way out but imagine, Fogarty with our first, then with ports pick and also trading up 2 out of anyone out of Lochie O, Hunter Clark, Worpol, Raynor. Throw in Ballenden to cap it all of with a slight downgrade on out first rounder next year.

just watched some highlights and Darcy Fogarty is a bit of a freak.. Quite a unique skillset and strong as an ox with room for development, bit of a Dangerfield/Stringer vibe going on..

Ballenden is uncanny for Tom Boyd.. slow on the lead but great positioning and hands.

I would take a Fogarty, Worpel, Ballenden draft in heart beat.

Fogarty one of the best prospects I have seen as a 17 year old. Has it all for the modern game. Would be glorious if we nab him with Ports pick in the draft.

To be expected. The restrictions were always going to come in in one form or another. I can live with this, and the reduction of the GWS zone is appropriate.

The worry is that they're going to keep stripping back the academy concessions until they're just about gone altogether.

I'd be happy with this if the AFL also announced that this would be the last change for five years or so.

Even then, I think we should get better access to academy players at the lower end of the draft than we currently do. But that's clearly not about to happen.

Surely that rule won't be so simple that if you finish top 4 you can only match one top 20 bid. What if GWS has pick 21 and a second academy member is bid on with pick 20?

I wonder if the AFL have a plan to support the development of kids in the regions they are stripping from GWS. While I agree the areas are considered traditional AFL country areas, you can't argue that GWS have had a positive effect on the number of kids coming out of the area in the past couple of seasons.

As for the rule for top 4 teams. It says that academy teams are restricted to matching a bid for just one academy prospect, not that academy clubs can't draft multiple first round players.

I wonder if the AFL have a plan to support the development of kids in the regions they are stripping from GWS. While I agree the areas are considered traditional AFL country areas, you can't argue that GWS have had a positive effect on the number of kids coming out of the area in the past couple of seasons.

As for the rule for top 4 teams. It says that academy teams are restricted to matching a bid for just one academy prospect, not that academy clubs can't draft multiple first round players.

Most of them are at boarding schools in Melbourne and playing TAC Cup. I think they'll be fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back