M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
IMO the top priorities in this years draft with our 2 picks that will probably end up being anywhere between picks 1 and 10 should be 1) an inside bull eg. Patrick Cripps type. and 2) an outside pacy mid with the ability to go forward eg. Lewis Jetta (at his best)/Isacc Smith type.

1) Darcy Fogarty (Knightmares summaries)
A dynamic goal kicker, Darcy Fogarty kicked seven goals from three AFL Under-18 Championships games. The 190cm, 86kg, Fogarty is equally adept through the midfield with impressive contested possession and clearance numbers through the SANFL Under-18s, suggesting potential as a rotating midfielder/forward.

2) harder to choose, there are a few options- Lochie O'Brien, Jaidyn Stephenson and Ethan Penrith.
Lochie O'Brien
Finding a lot of the ball and doing his best work on the outside, Lochie O'Brien at 184cm, 74kg is an outside runner who evades tackles, uses the ball cleanly on his left foot, is strong overhead and in one-on-one contests. O'Brien averaged 24 disposals per game through his five TAC Cup contests and has also showed proficiency winning the contested ball.
Jaidyn Stephenson
Came onto the radar in 2015 with a dynamic finals series for Eastern Rangers. Stephenson confirmed his reputation as a big game player, giving eventual premier Sandringham a scare during the first round of the TAC Cup finals kicking four important goals. Stephenson is an athletic forward at 188cm, 76kg who is freakish at ground level and is a high leaper who does his best work close to goal.
Ethan Penrith
The 179cm, 74kg outside line breaker takes on the game at every opportunity, dodging and weaving past opposition players effortlessly. His skills are silky, using the ball efficiently and impacting the game heavily with each possession. For someone who does his best work on the outside, Penrith displays an aggression uncommon in line breakers, bumping opposition players with force, tackling and winning the contested ball.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think midfield should be our first priority unless there is a Weitering/Lever type ready made key back who could slot into our best 22 in a couple of years time. Which would be handy as well.

For midfielders the dream is the Dangerfield/Fyfe midfielder who is strong inside, can burst away with speed and be attacking on the outside. Preferably with better disposal than those two. Otherwise a bit of X Factor would be great around the stoppages and an inside midfield with size, a six foot 2, 90kg mid as opposed to a smaller one like Mathieson.

BigCat2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Still the whole year's worth of underage games to come, along with improvements/ changes from our current list means it's far too early for me to guess who'll be good for us. I'm just sitting back, coming Brent with the thought that we'll likely pick 2 top-10 quality midfielders and Ballenden this year.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
100% agree with that jackess even down to your comments on Fyfe/Dangerfield, both great players but they can both butcher the ball and also be iffy with set shots.

hybrid- now- Fyfe's power, Dangerfield's breakaway pace, Sam Mitchell's disposal.
or past- Voss-Akermanis-Black.:)

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Still the whole year's worth of underage games to come, along with improvements/ changes from our current list means it's far too early for me to guess who'll be good for us. I'm just sitting back, coming Brent with the thought that we'll likely pick 2 top-10 quality midfielders and Ballenden this year.
Yep this time last year the eventual top three of the draft; McGrath, Taranto and McCluggage were not in top 20 calculations. They quickly found themselves amongst the top 20 as early as a couple TAC Cup games into the season though. The TAC Cup season kicks off tomorrow night and over the next 2-3 weeks new names will emerge.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
One player that hasn't earned a mention on here yet who represented Vic Country as an underager last year is the Gippsland Power's Tyrone Hayes. Only a small fella but quick, creative and skilful. Keep an eye on him. Speaking of the Gippsland Power Changkuoth Jiath could be the best multicultural prospect to come through the system in a while. Only seen him play once but has some exciting attributes.

One player that hasn't earned a mention on here yet who represented Vic Country as an underager last year is the Gippsland Power's Tyrone Hayes. Only a small fella but quick, creative and skilful. Keep an eye on him. Speaking of the Gippsland Power Changkuoth Jiath could be the best multicultural prospect to come through the system in a while. Only seen him play once but has some exciting attributes.
Jiath tied to Hawks through their zone... Sorry - "Next Generation Academy"

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm certain that Noble would have outré ruitment staff across it all and aware of this draft crop. There will be risers and fallers as there are every year. I feel that GC Suns have used the draft last year extremely well and don't feel the loss of Prestia and O'Meara will be that signicant (their trade period also helps). I use this example as something similar to what we can do with our 2 early picks plus Ballenden and really hope they bring in trading of picks come draft might that we can be aggressive to acquire another midfield talent somehow.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Yep this time last year the eventual top three of the draft; McGrath, Taranto and McCluggage were not in top 20 calculations. They quickly found themselves amongst the top 20 as early as a couple TAC Cup games into the season though. The TAC Cup season kicks off tomorrow night and over the next 2-3 weeks new names will emerge.
McCluggage was getting a lot of press before the under 18 champs started.

McGrath didn't come in top 10 discussion until the Vic metro v Vic country game when he shut Ainsworth down in from midway through the 3rd quarter.

Taranto was borderline top 20, then started climbing fast up the boards during the TAC cup finals, and wasn't spoken about top 3 until a week or two before the draft.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We need a mid that can create things from nothing. Our current crop are very vanilla and have minimal X factor about them. Speed would obviously be another thing we need to address.
I hope that McCluggae will be one that will be that x-factor type but agree with what was posted by someone earlier that he will be hybrid inside/outside mid but it will be handy to have him be first reciever. Matho I reckon will be a workhorse type but B grader at best but will be a player we will come to love IMO. Outside of that I don't know if we have anyone else and agree with the create something from nothing and Fogarty has shown that a couple of times in some of the clips where he attacks the contest and beats a number of players through sheer will and strength. Worpol also showed that last year in the national champs but not sure if he would have the x-factor element to his play. O'Brien shows outside run, speed, footskills and his hand passing is highly underrated. Hunter Clarke and also Rayner are two to track that I reckon will be able to make something out of nothing also. Can't wait for the national champs.

They don't get priority access to academy players until next year though from what I understand.
Only if they get through to the rookie draft.

lionsbest

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think midfield should be our first priority unless there is a Weitering/Lever type ready made key back who could slot into our best 22 in a couple of years time. Which would be handy as well.

For midfielders the dream is the Dangerfield/Fyfe midfielder who is strong inside, can burst away with speed and be attacking on the outside. Preferably with better disposal than those two. Otherwise a bit of X Factor would be great around the stoppages and an inside midfield with size, a six foot 2, 90kg mid as opposed to a smaller one like Mathieson.

Agree midfield 1st. With my number one Priority. Dusty free agent. I suggest Brisbane go one short on the primary list. And through the book at dusty. A midfield of Beams ,Martin and mccluggage would do very nicely for 2018 ,with mr mccluggage learning from the masters then bring in more midfield depth through the draft with 1st two picks To complement and strengthen this area. Especially if they can learn their craft from dusty and beams one word WOW!!!!!

lionsbest

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I did Friday. T Hayes . Late pick or rookie. Absolutely agree with you. A little surprise packet.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree midfield 1st. With my number one Priority. Dusty free agent. I suggest Brisbane go one short on the primary list. And through the book at dusty. A midfield of Beams ,Martin and mccluggage would do very nicely for 2018 ,with mr mccluggage learning from the masters then bring in more midfield depth through the draft with 1st two picks To complement and strengthen this area. Especially if they can learn their craft from dusty and beams one word WOW!!!!!
He ain't coming north but after watching tonight two power midfielders in Fogarty and Rayner with that midfield/forward ability with our two (hopefully) first picks in the draft thanks.
I did Friday. T Hayes . Late pick or rookie. Absolutely agree with you. A little surprise packet.
It was interesting to watch how Richmonds small forwards were important with helping to locking the ball in early. I would say we have more pressing needs but can see the value and where Fagan was coming from especially with the Hawthorn model.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
He ain't coming north but after watching tonight two power midfielders in Fogarty and Rayner with that midfield/forward ability with our two (hopefully) first picks in the draft thanks.

It was interesting to watch how Richmonds small forwards were important with helping to locking the ball in early. I would say we have more pressing needs but can see the value and where Fagan was coming from especially with the Hawthorn model.

lol that's what I have just been looking at for the last half hour.

Dusty would have already been on the radar of a few Vic clubs as a free agent. Tonight just makes them underline his name and increase their potential offer. We are zero chance. I hate it but I bet the Hawks end up with one of Fyfe or Dusty.

Besides, we're not really at the point to start bringing in free agents. We just have to focus on drafting more talent, retaining the ones we have and steadily improving on the field.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Better chance at drafting them then FA/Trading at the moment for where we're at but mightily impressive game by Dusty.
Been saying that for a year. We have next to no chance of bringing in a ready made star player through a trade, short of a QLD'er requesting a trade home.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Am I the only one who sees Fogarty as a deadringer for Christian Petracca? Fogarty is a little leaner than Tracca was at the same age but otherwise they move and play so similarly.
Funnily enough I do see a highly rated prospect as a dead ringer for Petracca but it isn't Fogarty. Cameron Rayner has the identical playing style and even moves like him. Very similar body shapes/sizes as well. If Rayner progresses this year to the point that I think he can he is the perfect fit for our midfield. Adds a combination of contested ball winning ability with that pace/power that allows him to burst away from a pack. He also has a killer fend off and can go forward and kick a bag playing as a dangerous half forward. His mix of speed and strength, clean hands and accuracy when kicking for goal makes him a very difficult match up for defenders in the forward 50.

Funnily enough I do see a highly rated prospect as a dead ringer for Petracca but it isn't Fogarty. Cameron Rayner has the identical playing style and even moves like him. Very similar body shapes/sizes as well. If Rayner progresses this year to the point that I think he can he is the perfect fit for our midfield. Adds a combination of contested ball winning ability with that pace/power that allows him to burst away from a pack. He also has a killer fend off and can go forward and kick a bag playing as a dangerous half forward. His mix of speed and strength, clean hands and accuracy when kicking for goal makes him a very difficult match up for defenders in the forward 50.

Rayner looks like Dusty to me. Even arches the back when he receives the ball and kicks with the exact same motion.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rayner looks like Dusty to me. Even arches the back when he receives the ball and kicks with the exact same motion.
Yeah plays a similar game to Dusty as that big, powerful half forward flanker capable of playing in the midfield. Like Dusty I think in his first few years in the AFL(Should he have a good year this year and make it of course) he'd start out on the half forward flank with bursts in the midfield before eventually becoming a full time mid.

Back