Prediction 2017 Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Seen a number of write-ups that have Griffin Logue as our best chance of Rising Star. I think Harley Balic is far more likely. Both could get nominations this year but I think Balic is more likely despite us having a strong midfield. If he debuts early enough I think he'd compete quite well against the other club's most likely candidates as well. If Sean Darcy gets to debut this year then he could be a smokey for a nomination also.

Just a weird hunch.. but, Balic's not going to end up being the Viv Michie or Jacob Ballard of Peel this year, is he? They'll play him at Freo if his numbers are consistently good at Peel... Right?
had to like this post so that I could unlike it, Balic is 5 levels of class above either of those potatos

Just a weird hunch.. but, Balic's not going to end up being the Viv Michie or Jacob Ballard of Peel this year, is he? They'll play him at Freo if his numbers are consistently good at Peel... Right?
Nah I was surprised Ross was speaking so positively about him so early - he clearly rates him and if he continues big numbers (for a second year player that was injured his entire first year) they'll bring him in pretty quickly I think.

Lighten up, every thing about Freo is not doom and gloom.
Win against Geelong is a good start, I still remember how pump you are last year vs bulldog in round 1 , and turn out to be absolute shocker . I hope my reverse will work.

Blakely will have 30+ possionsand2 goals in rd1 for a bog performance and receive 0 brow low votes cos the umps have no idea who he is.

To me only Brisbane, N Melbourne, is almost certainly .

The last spot ( tiger , port , gold coast ,Carlton ) but if freo is not careful will fall into that categories also , eg depend too much on mundy, fyfe ,johnson and Sandi when any injuries occur thus will cause a lot of trouble due to second tier young players lack of afl experience.

Not bad meima. Underrated the Tigers and Port but most did.

It's interesting going back and reading the thoughts prior to the season starting.

The good - more wins than last year with 8, Bennell stringing the last 8 games together, Hamling showing he can hold down FB. Blakely becoming a first choice on. Weller and Fyfe kicking 30 goals in stints forward.

The bad - the forward line still struggles with Taberner & Ape not coming on & Kersten struggling. McCarthy shows some positive signs with one 6 goal bag but struggles for consistency.

The ugly - Ballantyne leaves the club and causes a bit of a stir on the way out after being sent to Peel mid-season.

Bits of this were pretty accurate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will finish around the 6-8 mark and finish above West Coast.

We will lose a few early but come home with a wet sail as the team gels and adapts to each other.

Fyfe will win the brownlow and he will re-sign with us.

Tabs will kick over 30 goals.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well....... That didn't quite work out as planned....but at least Fyfe signed on.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2017-predictions.1158396/ - OP
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2017-predictions.1158396/page-3#post-48855515

Bit hit and miss with my predictions for individuals but I think more hits than misses. Was way off with Walters thinking he would play as a small forward as he excelled in the middle - glad to be wrong on that one. Would stand behind most of the rest heading into 2018 except Balic of course. Stay optimistic everyone, most of our youngsters have come leaps and bounds to where they were at in 2016. We certainly won't be fielding one of the oldest teams during pre-season come next year :) Pre-season and rd 1 & 2 impacted our whole season imo.

1st off... I am very surprised that most people on Here think Freo will make the 8. Last season was a description of Murphy's law: What possibly could go wrong did go wrong Freo are way better than the 4 win season they posted in 2016. Last year was a domino effect in a negative way. After that round 5 loss to carlton last year, our confidence and morale was shot down. We should of got 8-9 wins considering how many close losses we had at home. Personally, I don't see Freo getting top 4, I don't see them getting bottom 4 either. I am not too confident of the season ahead after all those injuries we got last season too.

Freo can finish as High as 5th with 14 wins to as low as 14th with 6-8 wins. Only way I see freo getting bottom 4 again in 2017 is that freo get 15th with 6-8 wins. I have also looked at the home games freo have got this year.... Eagles twice, Geelong, Bulldogs, North, Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood, Saints, Hawks, Suns and Richmond. I expect Freo to win half of those. Only away game I see winning easily is Brisbane, Some other games like Essendon, North and Richmond we will be going in as outside chances. Along with Essendon who have 10 players returning from their bans, Freo have the biggest scope as well with recruiting many players last season that should improve the squad and be in our 22.

Of the draftees coming in, I expect all 3 of Logue, Cox and Darcy to get debuts. All 3 will play 20 games each, 2-5 in the AFL, 15-18 in the WAFL.

Of the experienced recruits, Hamling will play at least 20 games. Hill will do well in the midfield and on a flank. McCarthy and Kersten will both play 20 games each and get 25-30 goals. Then there is Bennell... We know how good he is, hoping he gets on the park. I think he will play 18 games and kick 18 goals and be a difference maker some of the games he plays too.

Our defence should be better than last season. Midfield has a variety of match winners. But that forward line will be the one to watch. Quantity isn't the problem, its the quality. We got McCarthy, Kersten, Apeness, Strnadica, Cox and Logue all capable of playing as a key forward. we need 2 of them to kick a combine total of 60-70 goals this season.

Freo have got and interesting 1st 5 games that can indicate where freo will finish starting with Geelong in round 1. Start the season well, we can make finals. Struggle in the 1st few games and it will be a long year. I expect Freo to cop some injuries but not in the magnitude of 2011 and 2016.

Prediction... I reckon freo will get 7-10 wins. This has 2002 or 2011 written all over it. Its a developing year in which it builds up for finals next season

Got some of the bolded and Underlined bits correct. Kersten and McCarthy both kicking 25 goals each wasn't a bad prediction.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back