2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It sounds great.

Where it potentially unravels is when it makes Rockliff close to the Saints best paid player. Even if salary cap space isn't an issue, I don't know clubs will pay really big overs to a player even if there is a payoff in other trades.
Umm. Keep your dream crushing reality checking comments to yourself POBT.;):)

The club is about improving our list by careful drafting and targeted recruitment. I don't foresee multiple sackings of contracted players. I see us looking to trade up where possible, but calls for 12 players to be culled are just unrealistic. This list rebuild will take time and patience.

The club is about improving our list by careful drafting and targeted recruitment. I don't foresee multiple sackings of contracted players. I see us looking to trade up where possible, but calls for 12 players to be culled are just unrealistic. This list rebuild will take time and patience.
Some of the suggestions are just farcical.

In no way would we even contemplate attempting to force contracted players out by paying out their contracts IMO. Very bad for team morale and trust in the club from the players, attempt to trade is fine as long as we are open with the player through the process (no more Daniel Bradshaw situations please) which I am sure we would be with Noble/Fagan now running the show.

Note- The players who some are suggesting we pay out eg. Bell and Frost have zero trade currency.

In no way would we even contemplate attempting to force contracted players out by paying out their contracts IMO. Very bad for team morale and trust in the club from the players, attempt to trade is fine as long as we are open with the player through the process (no more Daniel Bradshaw situations please) which I am sure we would be with Noble/Fagan now running the show.

Note- The players who some are suggesting we pay out eg. Bell and Frost have zero trade currency.
The only one that i see as a possible is Jack Frost and only if his concussion symptoms continue. And he decides to retire from footy.

There is simply no need to pay players out. Im sure we could find 4-6 list changes / delistings without paying out the likes of Bell. It is 1 thing if you dont rate a player and believe they shouldnt be on the list, but take 2 seconds to think about if the player taken at pick 67 or whatever is going to be any better.

There is no point in ditching 10 players if you cant replace them with better players.

In the right environment and free of injury players can turn their careers around. Bastinac and Walker are two that have done so this year. Who's to say others can't.

Not to mention Stef Martin was also in that boat.

Not to mention Stef Martin was also in that boat.

Wasnt going to get another contract after 2 injury ravaged years up here. played second half of the year as ruck and now look at him. One of the best rucks in the comp.

Our problem is that we need to clear multiple list spots out if we want to get all the players we are targeting. No one is retiring so we will need to make some tough calls re delistings.
If we want to bring in Cameron, Cox, Ballenden and two other first round picks, that's 5 senior list spots right there that we need to make room for. 5 senior players will need to get cut at the minimum. Not to mention any rookie upgrades.

Our problem is that we need to clear multiple list spots out if we want to get all the players we are targeting. No one is retiring so we will need to make some tough calls re delistings.
If we want to bring in Cameron, Cox, Ballenden and two other first round picks, that's 5 senior list spots right there that we need to make room for. 5 senior players will need to get cut at the minimum. Not to mention any rookie upgrades.

When have we ever got all the players that we've apparently "targeted" as reported in the media. Last year we were reported as interested in or linked to by the media; Frost, Dunn, Minson, Silvagni, Hartung, Greenwood, Whitecross, Marley Williams. Of that list we got 1. I don't think we'll struggle for spots on our list if we need them. There's plenty of guys that aren't contracted for next year that can make way without cutting guys with contracts. As mentioned the only one could be frost depending on how his concussion is. Given it re-surfaced a week or two after initially presenting, thats not a good sign.

You need to be careful when turning over a list that you don't cut too deep too quick. Its more than just on field performance you have to think about, there's relationships, group dynamics, who sets training standards etc etc. There's a whole raft of things to take into account that can have a material affect on team performance.

Then you have who may potentially leave as well via trades. There are a few that I would think could be available for the right offer if they wanted to go elsewhere.

Whats pretty certain is that any team finishing with a wooden spoon, doesn't tend to struggle for list spots at the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, I think if we need extra list spots this year they will come from trades. We did just add 12 new players at the 2016 trade & draft, 7 to the senior list (6 drafted plus Frost), 5 rookies. We're not beginning a rebuild, we're well into it. Can't see us adding that many rookies again. Given our picks are 1, 12(hopefully) 18 & 41, I think we'll only take 3 or 4 youngsters tops, one or 2 trades and maybe one or 2 new rookies. I'm predicting 5-8 changes this year, which seems about right.

Have to always keep in mind that there is what, 44-45 in the squad. If you are getting near 10 list changes that is 20% of the list. That is a massive change. Around 5 changes feels about right most of the time, maybe a couple more if there are some out going trades etc. Outside of Cameron i can't see any other trades getting done at this stage, not incoming players. I just don't think we will look to load up on trades, we still need to be using the draft, and we would have to trade those picks to bring in players from other clubs. Unless they are a Cameron where they are young enough, good enough and fits a need on our list, i can't see us chasing much.

We have high draft picks, we are best to use these picks in the draft while they are at the top end. Think it is easier to trade picks for players when you are starting to look at finals. Generally you are more attractive as a club for other players, and you aren't trading away high end picks, more so middle range picks.

Bulldogs receive: Stef Martin & Pick 41
Brisbane receive: Lukas Webb & Pick 26

Brisbane move up 15 place for a downgrade of a player, Stef Martin aged 30 remember won our BnF two years ago and in my eyes in the top 6 rucks in the comp, Bulldogs could win another flag next year or two and they'll believe Martin could help that. Webb, only 21 or 22. Brings an elite left foot with him. Can play inside mid as a 187cm. Think this is a win for both teams. Gets Stef home and gives Webb and opportunity to play AFL level and push for a flag in 4-5 years.

Have to always keep in mind that there is what, 44-45 in the squad. If you are getting near 10 list changes that is 20% of the list. That is a massive change. Around 5 changes feels about right most of the time, maybe a couple more if there are some out going trades etc. Outside of Cameron i can't see any other trades getting done at this stage, not incoming players. I just don't think we will look to load up on trades, we still need to be using the draft, and we would have to trade those picks to bring in players from other clubs. Unless they are a Cameron where they are young enough, good enough and fits a need on our list, i can't see us chasing much.

We have high draft picks, we are best to use these picks in the draft while they are at the top end. Think it is easier to trade picks for players when you are starting to look at finals. Generally you are more attractive as a club for other players, and you aren't trading away high end picks, more so middle range picks.
We would have added 10 players last year across senior and rookie lists. It is pretty normal.

Brisbane move up 15 place for a downgrade of a player, Stef Martin aged 30 remember won our BnF two years ago and in my eyes in the top 6 rucks in the comp, Bulldogs could win another flag next year or two and they'll believe Martin could help that. Webb, only 21 or 22. Brings an elite left foot with him. Can play inside mid as a 187cm. Think this is a win for both teams. Gets Stef home and gives Webb and opportunity to play AFL level and push for a flag in 4-5 years.
That would feel about right that scenario and a pretty good result for both clubs.

That's a big loss for the dogs. Not giving up our second rounder

Rocky is the missing piece of the premiership puzzle for the saints. 1 mill a year is cheap for premiership glory- and potentially 3 years in a row at that. Their window is open and I'd be throwing the kitchen sink at a machine like Rocky.
Im not sure he is the type of player they really need though. I thought they needed more class and outside players than someone like Rocky

We would have added 10 players last year across senior and rookie lists. It is pretty normal.
12 additions last year. But even 10 I don't think is sustainable year after year. All lists need to remain organic but hopefully our list soon gets to the stage where we are only looking to make five or six changes each year.

It is not normal year on year. The fact that we have turned over so much of our list in recent years only furthers my point. You ditch players because they aren't going to be best 22, but you just replace them with players that aren't likely to be either. Move forward 2 years and you are delisting the blokes you just brought in for the other blokes you cut. Sometimes, you just need to retain players to ensure you can bring in quality. We've also had a lot of higher picks in recent years which has helped in turning it over. Assuming we take Ballenden, as it stands we probably draft 3 kids with our first 3 picks, Ballenden with remain pick points and that is it. It is only 4 spots.

Teams up playing finals aren't turning over 10 list spots every year. This cycle only breaks when you bring in enough quality.

Jaksch been delisted, Surely PSD... Was so keen to get him when he wanted out of GWS. Kid can play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back