2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the "sackcloth" part of the new ISC re-brand?

sackpot.jpg

Sackcloth.

I posted this on the main board in the Anthony Miles thread. Have at it...

"WCE have lost inside mids Priddis, Mitchell, S-Selwood, Ebert, K-Stevens and Kerr (retired) in the past 6 years.

Our replacements so far are Jack Redden.

Shuey, Sheed, Duggan and (to a lesser extent Gaff) have some elements of inside to their game but it's not the best use of their game. Hutchings is a tagger. Jetta and Masten are snowflakes. Wellingham has regressed. Then you've got a bunch of HBF/HFF kids like Partington, Venables, Nelson, Mutimer, Cole, Karpany, Lamb etc who may transition to midfield one day but they're miles off even getting a regular game; plus our player development record is utterly woeful.

We desperately need to add any half-decent inside grunt that's available, even if it they are second rate and highly flawed compared to the rest of the comp's inside mids. I'd take BOTH Brendan Ah Chee and Anthony Miles in a heartbeat."

Agree 100%. Ah Chee I think can turn into a very handy player for us if given plenty of game time in the guts. Shuey is a very good inside mid, but he is an elite outside mid. We want him being the first receiver on the outside once someone gets the hardball on their knees. Explode away from congestion and create overlap by hand or attacking and delivering to JKK on the tit. Hopefully Venables can be a an inside bull we need.

You had me at the correct spelling of "gnash."
Ha Ha, I like to at least spell things corrfectly, even if what I say makes no sense. :)

Sackloth is Hemp isnt it. Its more expensive these days cant i just wail and gnash in kmart stuff.
Valid point about it's cost. In kmart stuff will do perfectly fine, as long as we are wailing.

I am sure the club are working hard behind the scenes but I'm not sure if there are any obvious answers for us this offseason. I'd have gone for Rockliff, and I'm fine with Ah Chee and maybe a Mountford. But at the end of the day what we need to improve is to nail our picks and to develop the young guys we do have to come good, otherwise we have no chance.

There is zero obvious answers. It pains me to even write it, but part of me wishes we could move Gaff on to the Saints and get a high pick this year and their first next year. Apparently next years draft is so stacked the 5th or 6th pick is being touted as the equivalent of pick 1 this year. Gaff is possibly a 50/50 chance to move on after his contract is up.

We need organic improvements and natural progression, from Sheed, Duggan and Jetta. Need Venables to get a run too for the experience, plus he is a ready made player if he can get on the park. Sheed showed what he can do, just needs to produce that 25 possessions week in week out now.

I really cant understand why there isnt more of a push for Nelson to go into the guts.Got reasonable size,good off both feet,got some really nice candy, good vision and an aggressive mindset.Surely he meets most criterion for a midfielder?We dont need more HBF ers.!!
There has been plenty of discussion about it. Consensus seems to be that he is ordinary in congestion, decision making isn't much chop under pressure and his disposal so far is a little over rated. Maybe he could do a run with role.

Interesting about the HBF comment though you're aware Butler has retired and Wellingham has got the ass?

Ah chee is a no brainer for mind if you want/ need to strengthen midfield rotations. With free agency the drafting landscape has changed, no need to rely solely on drafting young kids. You can bring in 2 afl ready mid aged players like ah chee who should play a lot better for their new club with increased opportunities, then nail a couple of good young draft picks and you can very quickly improve your team.
Traditionally it's very hard to break into ports midfield, even the great Shaun Burgoyne had a 3 or 4 season apprenticeship in defence before he was promoted to our midfield. And poor old ah chee is a genuine midfielder but was played off the bench then thrown onto the half forward or half backline in spurts.
I still can't understand why he could never win a consistent midfield spot with us but every season I thought it was his turn we would draft in a good mid that quashed his chances, Ebert, Polec, wingard, wines, Powell pepper.
Give ah chee a go and I think you will be surprised how good he is.
Watching west coast a few times they seem like a very tall strong team in need of some run and carry.
I wouldn't be surprised at all .

Moving into the Higgins camp a little bit, given we have moved a bit outside of the top 10. He's a footballer, not an athlete. Can see him turning into a Sam Mitchell type midfielder. Everything I've heard about him suggests his attitude and work ethic are second to none. If he happens to be mentored by Sam he could develop that way.

Bonar might be around at our pick, given his lack of exposed form and the knee issues. He tested really well at the combine so doesn't seem to have impacted all that much (or it has and he could have been a remarkable athlete). I like him also, think he could play well in a number of positions.

Agree with other sentiments. Our drafting used to be some of the best in the league. Haven't knocked any out of the park in a while. Need to nail our pick this and next year!

Am thinking of the past when we got Braun and Embley in the 50's, Kerr at 18, even LeCras in the 30's. Guys like Cox, Fletcher and Q Stick as rookies. Part of me feels like a lot of these players became so good because of the training and playing standards at our club that Cousins set and Kerr and Judd followed. It lifted these other guys to get the absolute best out of themselves they could. Some of our guys today, and I don't know this, but it feels like they are content being AFL footballers, rather than being winners and elite!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with other sentiments. Our drafting used to be some of the best in the league. Haven't knocked any out of the park in a while. Need to nail our pick this and next year!

Am thinking of the past when we got Braun and Embley in the 50's, Kerr at 18, even LeCras in the 30's. Guys like Cox, Fletcher and Q Stick as rookies. Part of me feels like a lot of these players became so good because of the training and playing standards at our club that Cousins set and Kerr and Judd followed. It lifted these other guys to get the absolute best out of themselves they could. Some of our guys today, and I don't know this, but it feels like they are content being AFL footballers, rather than being winners and elite!!

to be fair McGovern was a rookie pick

Aside from Venables and Cavka how many of those types have we taken in the last five, six, seven years?
Not sure how wide to draw this but McInnes and Barrass were both injured at the end of the year they were drafted and were not able to do a preseason and hence their first year was a miss. I think Maginness was also injured when we drafted him.

Wouldn't be against this at all, as long as he's a genuine KPF.

Need to replace Kennedy. And if he's genuinely the best KPF in the pool and an eagles fan to boot, then I'm happy to forgo a midfielder in that case.

No other scenario would make me happy to forgo a midfielder however
if hes there at 13 we should call it out faster than we did with jack darling in 2010

I am surprised they delisted him & deluca- thought they were both decent depth players at least.

They've got some talent coming in- the list is young, yes- but youth doesn't necessarily mean future success.

As for us, may be KPD defensive rookie option for Collins should we lose someone like Schofield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back