Prediction 2018 Carlton Consensus Best 22 [Done and Dusted]

Who should be our 2018 Captain, 2 x Vice-Captains and 2 add. Leaders for Season 2018? (PICK FIVE)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean when Boyd played in the middle?
Yeah he played as a ruckman who provided a marking target around the ground. There's no reason why you can't name Curnow a mid and also have him provide a marking target around the ground. Then he'd leave stoppages to get a kick forward of it & provide a marking target if we win the ball out, and you'd push an extra forward up into the stoppage to balance the numbers. Seems a pretty roundabout way to go though

Last edited:
Walker is one of the less mobile talls, but he does get up the ground and help Adelaide get their breakaway goals with his long kicking.

Curnow is a lot more mobile than Walker. If he's played as a forward I'd expect to see him providing a marking target all over the ground, even from kick ins. Tom Boyd 2016 GF-esque, just popping up whenever we need a mark to be taken.

Spot on, go where he is needed

Yeah he played as a ruckman who provided a marking target around the ground. There's no reason why you can't name Curnow a mid and also have him provide a marking target around the ground. Then he'd leave stoppages to get a kick forward of it & provide a marking target if we win the ball out, and you'd push an extra forward up into the stoppage to balance the numbers. Seems a pretty silly roundabout way to go though

o_O

We don’t have anywhere near the depth required for Murph to spend significant time forward, particularly with Gibbs gone.
We certainly do have the depth, not sure of the star quality yet. Plenty of potential, if half of it comes true, Murphy will not be needed in the midfield for more than a couple of bounces a game.

Cripps and Ed are proven, SPS, Cuningham and Fisher have played there probably before they were ready and we have recruited or traded in Kennedy, Lang, Dow and LOB to help out. That is potentially 10 mids without Charlie or Murphy.

Genuine footy headache with this vote,

Haven't had one of them since the late 90's.

I've had plenty of selection headaches in the last 20 years.

But that's usually because looking at the team sheet has driven me to drink :drunk:

I, for one, welcome these new headaches. :thumbsu:

We certainly do have the depth, not sure of the star quality yet. Plenty of potential, if half of it comes true, Murphy will not be needed in the midfield for more than a couple of bounces a game.

Cripps and Ed are proven, SPS, Cuningham and Fisher have played there probably before they were ready and we have recruited or traded in Kennedy, Lang, Dow and LOB to help out. That is potentially 10 mids without Charlie or Murphy.

We can argue the toss but more mine quality is an integral part of depth. Would be a wonderful position to be in by the end of the year but as of round 1, we can’t carry Murphy forward.

Final poll results for Mids :-

1. Matthew Kreuzer
    181 vote(s)
    98.4%
  2. Andrew Phillips
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Matthew Lobbe
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Tom De Koning
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Marc Murphy
    175 vote(s)
    95.1%
  6. Patrick Cripps
    183 vote(s)
    99.5%
  7. Paddy Dow
    64 vote(s)
    34.8%
  8. Lachie O’Brien
    9 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. Ed Curnow
    157 vote(s)
    85.3%
  10. Charlie Curnow
    12 vote(s)
    6.5%
  11. David Cuningham
    67 vote(s)
    36.4%
  12. Sam Kerridge
    8 vote(s)
    4.3%
  13. Matthew Kennedy
    177 vote(s)
    96.2%
  14. Sam Petrevski-Seton
    175 vote(s)
    95.1%
  15. Darcy Lang
    34 vote(s)
    18.5%
  16. Matt Shaw
    1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  17. Jarrod Garlett
    6 vote(s)
    3.3%
  18. Zac Fisher
    22 vote(s)
    12.0%
  19. Cam Polson
    1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  20. Nick Graham
    1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  21. Jarrod Pickett
    3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  22. Dale Thomas
    2 vote(s)
    1.1%

Alright, what a huge weekend of votes! Our Best 22 is stacking up nicely - with a heated, closely-fought battle for the 2nd bench spot won by David Cuningham over Pick #3 Paddy Dow. The other six spots were as clear as we've seen yet. Our Starting Midfield will line up like this:

C S. Petrevski-Seton - E. Curnow - M. Murphy
R M Kreuzer - P. Cripps - M. Kennedy

B D. Cuningham

OP will be updated shortly and the next vote - the lottery that is the forwards - will be up soon after.

Forward voting is really hard.

This is an area we need massive improvement from 2017 as we need to more regular convert our forward entries into GOALS.

I have gone for McKay over Casboult as he just seems so much more dynamic. Hope he can get the body right and play a lot of games this year. But Casboult is a great backup if McKay is unavailable and means we can retain structure when injury occurs.

Really like JSOS and Charlie as the other two talls but can see Kerr, Weitering, Macreadie or maybe even 'King Kon' getting a game if injury occurs.

The three smalls are tough as Lamb showed plenty as a good defensive forward in 2017 and Fisher is frenetic.

But I have gone with Wright for his experience and high scoreboard impact and added Pickett and Garlett to add speed and Xfactor. Think both will be able to help out the mids for short stints and hopefully lock it in the forward 50.

My #7 on the bench would be Fisher as he is AFL quality and can play midfield. Then Lamb, Polson, Thomas and Lebois in that order. Great to have AFL quality depth in the Forward 50 at last as all of these guys could contribute.

Go Blues!

King Kon will be lucky to get a game in next two years.
He is a long term project type. Not some young tall that dominated at junior levels and clubs scrambling to get him first round. Will take number of years to be ready, even if he makes it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

King Kon will be lucky to get a game in next two years.
He is a long term project type. Not some young tall that dominated at junior levels and clubs scrambling to get him first round. Will take number of years to be ready, even if he makes it.
Agree with what you are saying, as I had him a long way down the list to get a game. But he has some great tools.

Sometimes kids just come on, and Bolts has said (and shown) that he wants young players to get blooded at AFL level as soon as they are capable (ie. Polson). Who would have thought that Macreadie would have got so many games last year as a late selected tall. And even our latter draft pick Kerr was close to a call up in 2017 before he got injured.

Would be surprised if any one player in the forwards poll gets close to 100%, though Pickett is running at a perfect score for now.

Who didn't vote for Charlie?! Given he missed out in the mids, he was my first lock. I personally went for Levi for R1, 2018 as a more realistic view. Expecting 2018 to be a year of transition where - all going to plan - Harry slowly takes over that role.

Similarly, Wright deserves his spot in a year where our smalls will be in/out developing their game at the top level. JSOS and Pickett were my other picks for the other starting roles.

Just realised I forgot Darcy Lang in the poll (could play off a HFF) - will update!

ATTENTION THOSE WHO'VE ALREADY VOTED: Please reconsider with Lang in the picture. I love Fish but feel Lang will play Round 1 with a good preseason so have gone for him in my 6th spot. Showed a lot for the Cats in this position and has more experience and age on his side (22 v 19 and 44 games v 17). Expect Fish to still play another 15 games or more in 2018, however.

It is interesting to observe that on the current (early) voting we have McKay (203cm), Caz (198 cm), Charlie (194 cm) and SOJ (191 cm) together with Pickett and Wright as the only smalls and Wright is not quick. What seems clear is people are voting for favourites and not for players within a game plan.

It is unlikely BB will select so tall or slow a forward line even if he doesn't try to recreate the Tigers small forwards approach.

Mine so far:

FB: Plowman Jones Marchbank
HB: Byrne Weitering Simpson
C: SPS Murphy Lang
HF: Garlett C.Curnow Fisher
FF: J.Silvagni McKay Pickett

R: Kreuzer Cripps Kennedy

Int: E.Curnow, Williamson, Cuningham

Not sure I'd keep Fisher in the team given the ability for the midfield to rotate through the forward line.

Looking for the Paddy Dow option as a natural 1st year HFF.....looking, looking, looking
Wouldn't have tagged Dow for a HFF TW! Included Lang, Pickett, Garlett etc because they had history playing there. I know Dow had played a bit of FF in U18 year but not sure he'll ever be named in our forward mix, rather off a HBF or the bench.

Happy to include Dow in the polling if enough people believe he could be selected up forward for us. Thoughts? HARKER ferrisb Aphrodite Jeremias Soapy V Jabba73 Arr0w

NB: we are able to change our votes should this change.

Went back and changed Fish to Lang. Possibly that late inclusion might cost him the final spot as I suspect many voters won't revise.

Who wants to make the phone call? Darcy will be shattered....

How BF posters think:

Players XYZabc and haircuts

How coaches think:

Mid sized mongrel with leg speed that tackles HarryMc or Charlie Curnow Mid sized mongrel with leg speed that tackles
3rd tall to pull defenders away and tackles Levi Casboult Some super fast mongrel that scores goals and tackles

How BF posters think:

Players XYZabc and haircuts

How coaches think:

Mid sized mongrel with leg speed that tackles HarryMc or Charlie Curnow Mid sized mongrel with leg speed that tackles
3rd tall to pull defenders away and tackles Levi Casboult Some super fast mongrel that scores goals and tackles
Usually in the end the difference between what we think and what they think is simply the impact on performance due to injuries and work ethic.

When they first come to the club, there's a lot of hyperbole and conjecture from those who haven't seen much of their footy, but otherwise it's seasoned views, or common sense with a dash of reasonable questions about future performance.

I've had plenty of selection headaches in the last 20 years.

But that's usually because looking at the team sheet has driven me to drink :drunk:

I, for one, welcome these new headaches. :thumbsu:
Yeah i know what they are, the sickening feeling of rocking up to the game knowing you've got 2 or 3 who can play and can kick a footy or do something slightly good and the others should be in div 3 Northern footy league ressies.

I don't miss them feelings at all

On Pixel using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wouldn't have tagged Dow for a HFF TW! Included Lang, Pickett, Garlett etc because they had history playing there. I know Dow had played a bit of FF in U18 year but not sure he'll ever be named in our forward mix, rather off a HBF or the bench.

Happy to include Dow in the polling if enough people believe he could be selected up forward for us. Thoughts? HARKER ferrisb Aphrodite Jeremias Soapy V Jabba73 Arr0w

NB: we are able to change our votes should this change.
Reckon he lives and dies as a mid. Likely to be a bench spot or earn his way in from here. Not likely to be a 60%+ forward.

Would only consider it under AA rules where you pick one each of rucks, kpf and kpd and 19 midfielders.

Reckon he lives and dies as a mid. Likely to be a bench spot or earn his way in from here. Not likely to be a 60%+ forward.

Would only consider it under AA rules where you pick one each of rucks, kpf and kpd and 19 midfielders.
I agree. Think Dow has to make it as the fourth bench player tbh and reckon he's a good shout given he was just 4 votes from knocking off Cunners in the midfield group.

Back