List Mgmt. 2018 Draft Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith and West son - sounds like a gun combination.
Agree. I reckon that getting Smith and West is going to be better than when we got McRae and Stringer. Both look like really top players. McRae an A grader, stringer a huge disappointment for us. we have such a strong list, we are going to be very, very good. get some forwards and with the development of schache, boyd, gowers, green et al and we will be really, really hard to beat.

Surely Bytel is worth a look at our next pick? I know we seem to have too many mids but he seems a good prospect injury asside. Wouldnt mind picking up another Bailey Williams also just for the giggles

Sorry if it has already been posted, but really interesting in Cal Twomey's wrap up article. Basically If we traded down with GWS to try and get Smith at a later pick, Tigers had deals in place with the Crows and Power to trade up and pip us to grab him. Lucky then we didn't take the risk if Smith is as good as we think, would have missed out on him...

"While every club had trading plans in place, the Tigers were prepared to jump from pick 17 into the top 10 if midfielder Bailey Smith slipped past the Western Bulldogs' pick seven.

While that never eventuated, it's understood the Tigers had initiated talks with Adelaide (pick eight) and Port Adelaide (pick 10) if the Dogs opted to do a deal with GWS for picks nine or 11.

Late mail suggested the Dogs were prepared to moved back in the order, safe on the assumption that Smith was only willing to play for a Victorian club.

Instead, the Dogs jumped first, landing Smith, while the Tigers acquired midfielder Riley Collier-Dawkins (pick 17 moving to 20).
"

Sorry if it has already been posted, but really interesting in Cal Twomey's wrap up article. Basically If we traded down with GWS to try and get Smith at a later pick, Tigers had deals in place with the Crows and Power to trade up and pip us to grab him. Lucky then we didn't take the risk if Smith is as good as we think, would have missed out on him...

"While every club had trading plans in place, the Tigers were prepared to jump from pick 17 into the top 10 if midfielder Bailey Smith slipped past the Western Bulldogs' pick seven.

While that never eventuated, it's understood the Tigers had initiated talks with Adelaide (pick eight) and Port Adelaide (pick 10) if the Dogs opted to do a deal with GWS for picks nine or 11.

Late mail suggested the Dogs were prepared to moved back in the order, safe on the assumption that Smith was only willing to play for a Victorian club.

Instead, the Dogs jumped first, landing Smith, while the Tigers acquired midfielder Riley Collier-Dawkins (pick 17 moving to 20).
"
You know he must be a damn good player if Richmond were willing to trade up into the top 10 to get him. Particularly a club like the Tigers. I wasn’t sure if Smith or Caldwell were the better prospect. This verifies it.

"
This confirms my hatred of Richmond even more.

The look on Butters face when he first got drafted, pretty much had the disappointed about having to move interstate look, then the quick "screw it, I've actually made an AFL team" turn around look in time for the stage. Put him on our, trade for him in two years time list.
Agree.

Same with Ben King for the Saints. Apparently is extremely flat about having to go to the Suns

I have no problem with power not trading down from 7. And I have no problem with us taking smith (I have no idea about these kids).

But what I do know is that paying Luke Dahlhaus compensation for West is atrocious. It can’t happen.

I like powers overall philosophy on our list. He let dal go. He went for Wingard. He hasn’t overpaid wallis. And I was cool with some cheap experience in LLoyd and to a lesser extend duryea.

But as it stands, we’ve lacked confidence, experience and aggression to pull the trigger on the right trade. Hope he grows some balls in the next 12 months.

I have no problem with power not trading down from 7. And I have no problem with us taking smith (I have no idea about these kids).
But what I do know is that paying Luke Dahlhaus compensation for West is atrocious. It can’t happen.
I like powers overall philosophy on our list. He let dal go. He went for Wingard. He hasn’t overpaid wallis. And I was cool with some cheap experience in LLoyd and to a lesser extend duryea.
But as it stands, we’ve lacked confidence, experience and aggression to pull the trigger on the right trade. Hope he grows some balls in the next 12 months.
Agree, it is so damn obvious that we need to trade picks 27 and 32 to move up the order right bloody now. To just sit back and let pick 27 get swallowed up by West is shithouse especially when Ian Hill, Bailey Williams and Luke Valente are still available. Those 3 are out and out guns, Hill is exactly what we need on a wing or up forward. Use our picks now and possibly swap some future picks but get it done now forgodsake. There is ALWAYS a way to get it done. Pay the price and get it done.
I am going to be so p1ssed off if Melbourne bid on West at 26 and we still hold pick 27.
(edit) just realized that our pick 27 has moved back to 30! It gets worse! Trade the fu$&ing picks and move up now!

Last edited:

I could be wrong, but according to what I gathered by posts on BF is that we cannot use any of next years picks to move up on draft night due to some stupid rule about if a club trades out a pick from 2019 in the trade period they cannot use any future picks on draft night, which is stupid and stops teams actually being more active. So in other words, its bloody hard to move the Dahlhaus compensation up without losing points for West on the next one without any currency to move up unless we got a few very late picks back in return. And most teams don't have a bunch of 2018 give away picks because they have ended up with an X amount of picks to cover the exact X amount of list spots they have prior to the draft. So if we traded out 2 picks, we'd have gotten two back, three, then three back etc. In the end we'd likely have ended up in deficit for West and Khamis still.

So our hands were tied. Pretty much all the decent players had gone by the end of round one so would have needed currency to trade up into the teens which we didn't have. I think just about every team that moved up this draft so far used picks from 2019. Only thing we could have done is traded back pick 7, package both second round picks for a couple of late ones and go into deficit next year on our first round pick which would divide a few on here or bite us on the ass if its the difference between one of the so called top draftees or a later one, or thought ahead of the Swans strategy weeks ago and pulled some cheeky card.

Have to be mindful there is no way we would have had a rough clue to where West would have been bidded before the draft until the after pick trade window had closed and closer to the draft as well which makes it harder to plan ahead. Last thing you want is to pull the trigger early and then find out some info that West was gonna be bid on earlier than expected and the move you made for the extra pick was pointless. Every club has had to over pay a little for their FS and NGA recruits so far in this draft, the Swans were the exception because they exploited a loophole which most clubs wouldn't have figured out. AFL will probably tighten that up for next year.

If we used the Dahlhaus compensation on West, it will be technically unders not overs for West/a steal anyway based on most peoples rankings of West as a player in this draft. So its a fair price, so not like we are pissing it away and over paying. We've landed two players ranked inside the top 20 as it is, I know its nice to be greedy and want a third ;)

The AFL just needs to allow teams to trade whatever the heck picks they want this year and next. That way all the "exciting" draft day activity they wanted would come to fruition.

Also didn't one poster say just before that we did indeed try to trade up but failed? If that's the case then you cant be too upset.
And isn't it Austin pulling the ropes in this draft or is it Power doing everything list related including drafting?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We know that GWS' offer wasnt good enough for us to trade pre draft and it obviously wasnt good enough for us to trade during the draft either. Love the heat Powers copping for not trading when the majority of this board have been so against it for the last month. Without the full details on what was actually on the table how can you possibly judge?

I guess I've gotta convince myself to love Smith now, still not sold though. At the very least our midfield is going to be ******* tough. Please find a way to get Hill now
It’s not just about whether we traded down 7 but what we could have traded 27 and 32 up to ie added O’Halloran type.

Not over yet but the post season performance has been underwhelming thus far.

People realise that Sydney had to give up a second round pick to move up 2 spots and keep their 2nd round pick this year and Carlton had to swap first rounders next year to get pick 19 yeah?

Chuckling at people complaining that we didn’t package up 30 and 35 for say pick 20 when it took a (massively risky!) swap of 1st rounders to get pick 19. It’s a seller’s market for those high second round picks.

People should also factor in that trading 30 and 35 for say 25 would mean that we have no points left over for Khamis and we’ll significantly downgrade our second or third round pick next year, depending on where he is bid on.

So it’s really 30, 35 and a possibly significant downgrade of next year’s 2nd or 3rd for say 25.

That’s a fair bit for a 10 pick upgrade in the second round. Particularly if we’re just taking Hayes.

Last edited:
I was hoping for the 7 to 9/11/19 deals talked about pre draft and wasn’t particularly worried if Smith was there or not. However I’m glad we got the person we obviously wanted (right or wrong) and made sure we weren’t trumped by Richmond or any other club. Let’s see how today pans out before blaming people and wanting their heads. It’s Black Friday there may still be a bargain or two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back