Opinion 2018 Expectations

Discussion in 'Essendon' started by JayJ20, Sep 30, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. Affidavit

Affidavit Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Number 1 draft pick. Anything less would really be disappointing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Bomberbuzz1

Bomberbuzz1 All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    With what our forward line is already capable of, "Defence first and let them play" - Hardwick.

3. BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!!

BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!! Premium Gold

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Yep our forward line is better then Richmonds if we can sort out the defence we could be unstoppable.

4. MarkG

MarkG Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other teams:
    6th to 12th

hotkorma likes this.
  5. hurlygurdy

hurlygurdy Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    No idea. Given up trying to guess whether Langford, Laverde and Francis are going to make it. Without knowing the answer to that we could end up anywhere from 4th to 14th.
    Mind you, if we pick up Sloane?

6. BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!!

BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!! Premium Gold

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Winning finals a must. as Callum Twomey said we need to get that monkey off our back once that happens who knows how far we can go.

7. Kaiser Powser

Kaiser Powser Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    5-6th and winning a final.

Of course with bad injuries we could finish outside the 8, and if everything clicks maybe we make a prelim. But I would be expecting us to make and win a final.

8. fishardansin

fishardansin Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Australian cricket team
    Like a few have said here, I expect an improvement in consistency. However, I still expect us to be around the same mark or even a peg or two back. The club does not appear to be trading for the inside mids we need so I expect next year we'll be rotating Langford, Laverde and Begley through there. This will mean that they should improve across the season, but we will probably make no progress from where we are now. We will also have a slightly tougher draw.

I'd actually prefer it if we did keep pushing for the internal growth in 2018 and front load on some contracts. This will leave us with cash to splash on a FA at the end of next year and hopefully go to the draft with two good picks. That should set us up for 3 years of Hurley, Hooker and Bellchambers still in the tank.

Getting Stringer for a bargin is great and Saad provides heaps of run too. Of course this helps our midfield with McGrath spending more time in there too. I do believe with the right focus in the preseason Stringer could become a very good attacking mid. Still think Kennedy is the player we should have been targetting though.

9. Bombermania

Bombermania Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Non that play Essendon
    If we nail the trade period and Woosha can develop a defensive side to the game plan I would say push for top four or at least win a final, next year looks like being every bit as close as this season was.

10. hotkorma

hotkorma YESS

Essendon
    Other teams:
  11. Skipper_

Skipper_ Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    2018: Win a final
    2019: Top 4
    2020: Premiers/Grand Finalist

LB#16 and blitzer like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. LB#16

LB#16 Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Miami Heat
    I had this exact expectation (with 2017 being 'make the finals') but with the events of the last season there's no reason why Essendon can't make the four this upcoming season.

13. Alfred E Neuman

Alfred E Neuman Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other teams:
    X2

14. JayJ20

JayJ20 Premium Gold

Essendon
    Other teams:
    2018: Premiers
    2019: B2B premiers
    2020: Three-peaters

15. Aramis

Aramis Premium Platinum

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Gold City Royals
    I'm calling it now, bookmark it.
    Essendon will win the 2018 premiership.
    Heard it here first!

16. Toohey776

Toohey776 Senior List

Essendon
    Other teams:
    It must have taken a lot for you to say that! Haha.

Aramis likes this.
  17. JDavey

JDavey Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Minnesota Vikings, Miami Heat
    I'd be satisfied with top 6 and a finals win.

18. Aramis

Aramis Premium Platinum

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Gold City Royals
    Not really, Football is football, the past is the past.... I like where your team is heading, lots of good youngsters, Mum's a bomber too!

Toohey776 likes this.
  19. TDay

TDay Senior List

Essendon
    Other teams:
    We had a very easy fixture this year. Less games against bottom 8 teams next year should mean.... less losses!

20. Sockeye

Sockeye Debutant

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Richmond and Bulldogs might have popped up and won a flag but with our list of players aged between 18, McGrath, and Daniher, 24, we are on the verge of sustained success. Call it a dynasty if you want. We can now add Stringer and Smith to this group. This is why we are trading them in. Next year? Could go either way. Hopefully top 4, should at least play finals. By 2019, this group will be 20 to 26, and still with Hurls and Hooker and Heppell in his prime. Look out!

21. blitzer

blitzer Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I agree 2019 - 2021 should be a good period for us and we should get a good tilt in that period. We will need to find Hurley, Hooker and Heppell replacements by the end of that period which isn't exactly trivial but not impossible either.

I think of this as the Daniher era. He's the guy that our list will be built around. He's the guy that will help us luring free agents because of his crazy potential. Every side needs a 'big name' and for us he's the guy. He's also the reason that people won't just write us off because of our below average midfield which still needs to improve.

Looking at our trading strategy this year and age profile of our list along with standard development times and you'd say that McGrath (and his fellow draftees) are the youngest guys likely to make an impact during that 2019-2021 period. We probably won't have many guys from 2017/2018/2019 draft in our best team during those years.

So I think you're dead on in highlighting the McGrath to Daniher core of our list.

22. bombreys

bombreys Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Winning a final would be a great result.

The Sydney game showed us we're at least a couple of years away from contending for a flag.

One key thing I'd like to see this year is playing the kids if the senior guys aren't playing good-great footy. Langford/Laverde/Mutch/Begley/etc., if in form, should be playing ahead of Colyer/Myers/Howlett.

23. YEMOC NAYR

YEMOC NAYR Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I think winning a final should be deemed as a success. I think winning the flag next year is a stretch, but I think 2019 and beyond is where our list will hit it's peak. And hopefully by then, we have a few blokes like Laverde and Langford really hit their straps. Particularly Laverde, because without recruiting a big body mid he will be it. He's going to have to do alot of grunt work.

But if we land all of the S's, we're going to have some serious firepower. I'm worried defensively, though.