Resource 2018 AFL Draft Order

Remove this Banner Ad

I suppose we could always get him to run around the half back flank on his own a rack up a lazy 25.
Nup - leave that to Luke McDonald or Sam Wright.

On a serious note, you didn’t answer the questions. So it’s safe to presume you accept the trade is highly unlikely to occur - from either end.

Nup - leave that to Luke McDonald or Sam Wright.

On a serious note, you didn’t answer the questions. So it’s safe to presume you accept the trade is highly unlikely to occur - from either end.

Which questions?

1. I don’t think North will have a pick higher than 12 (more like 14-18)

2. Fremantle aren’t going to release Cerra after one year.

Do you think either of those will happen? If so, why?

1) North are only 2-3 injuries away from falling in a hole at any time
2) Who knows?

1) North are only 2-3 injuries away from falling in a hole at any time
2) Who knows?

I reckon North Melbourne will finish in 7th or 8th spot and play finals. That would be a pretty good effort considering where most experts had them finishing going into this year.

I reckon North Melbourne will finish in 7th or 8th spot and play finals. That would be a pretty good effort considering where most experts had them finishing going into this year.

I'm happy with it. That makes it pick 11-12.

Must get two ready to go mids this year.

I suppose we could always get him to run around the half back flank on his own a rack up a lazy 25.
Obviously you didn't watch the game then. You make it sound like half his touches were 1-2's on the backline.

Screenshot_20180610-221255.png
4th most contested possessions on the ground, 2 contested marks. 400 metres gained.

So are you saying LDU played fulltime in the midfield for your VFL side and only got 5 touches? Did he get injured?

:(

Adelaide are heading for more top 10 picks if the rumours are correct :(
surely one for Sloane (10), another for Lynch (11), Gov would surely get you something nice (I'd offer up a 1st if you let us have Sloane without a fuss ;)) - that could be something like 6 or 7.

7, 9, 10, 11, 14, 19 is a massive hand if this draft bats that deep.
still, the team of expat Crows would be a sight for sore crow eyes

surely one for Sloane (10), another for Lynch (11), Gov would surely get you something nice (I'd offer up a 1st if you let us have Sloane without a fuss ;)) - that could be something like 6 or 7.

A category 1 pick for Lynch? I doubt it.

Still, if they are aiming to finally clean out and hit a draft hard, then I reckon they are doing the right thing.

If Gov goes, if, I think the Crows would bundle up some 1st rounders and hand them to whoever finishes last for Lukosius . As a first entry into Playstation trading using your numbers ( I agree Lynch might be a 2nd round compo) 7, 9, 10 to St Kilda for pick 3 or 7,9 and Lynch for 3. Pick 3 and 11,19 to Carlton/Brisbane for Pick 1

Crows then have 14 and 37. Not ideal but Luko and a Rozee and Valente may occur.

If Gov stays then I hope the Crows stay out of any bundling and go hard at the draft

If Gov goes, if, I think the Crows would bundle up some 1st rounders and hand them to whoever finishes last for Lukosius . As a first entry into Playstation trading using your numbers ( I agree Lynch might be a 2nd round compo) 7, 9, 10 to St Kilda for pick 3 or 7,9 and Lynch for 3. Pick 3 and 11,19 to Carlton/Brisbane for Pick 1

Crows then have 14 and 37. Not ideal but Luko and a Rozee and Valente may occur.

If Gov stays then I hope the Crows stay out of any bundling and go hard at the draft
So you're giving up 5 top 20 picks for pick 1?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you're giving up 5 top 20 picks for pick 1?
Looks nasty doesn't it. I don't want to and if it could be done any other way then great. It's about finding the currency to get there. If McGovern goes we need another special forward that is going to stay in SA. Lukosius fits that. If McGovern stays then I want to take those now 4 to the draft

7 and 9 gets you 3 without throwing in Lynch. Way too generous there.

Happy with that

I can't see Carlton or Brisbane giving 1 up without being 'close'its why I looked at St Kilda who need more picks between 3 and 76? Then use 3+ to get to 1

Lynch is probably excessive but I'm not sure 7 and 9 will get you 3 in most years. Most teams at the pointy end of the draft have a good idea of who they're going to get, and unless it's a situation where the team can still get someone they rate roughly equivalent plus an extra pick most will take the top talent instead.

An example of a downgrade was Brisbane rating McGrath, Taranto and McCluggage roughly similar, so was willing to downgrade from 2 to 3 - but I doubt they would've gone back any further.

Last year I don't know that anyone would've traded out of the top 4 as it was felt they were a level above, and similarly with the top 2 in 2015 (ignoring retrospective ratings of the players in question).

If a team rates three players in the top tier this year, and then another half dozen in the second tier, 7 and 9 might get you pick 4 if they have it, but it's unlikely to get pick 3 off them. It's really dependent on those rankings.

A category 1 pick for Lynch? I doubt it.

Still, if they are aiming to finally clean out and hit a draft hard, then I reckon they are doing the right thing.

Lynch at Adelaide, who has played there in 2012 to 2018 - doesn't qualify as a free agent.

Lynch is probably excessive but I'm not sure 7 and 9 will get you 3 in most years. Most teams at the pointy end of the draft have a good idea of who they're going to get, and unless it's a situation where the team can still get someone they rate roughly equivalent plus an extra pick most will take the top talent instead.

An example of a downgrade was Brisbane rating McGrath, Taranto and McCluggage roughly similar, so was willing to downgrade from 2 to 3 - but I doubt they would've gone back any further.

I think this year might be a little different though and will all depend on who finishes where. There are a lot more elite options in the first 10 or so players this year. Take Carlton for expample. We desperately need midfield talent more than we need another prospective tall. Given the liklihood that talls will feature heavily in the early parts of the draft with Lukosius and the King twins, if we could turn 1 pick into a couple, but keep one in the first 3 or 4 (so turning pick 1 into 3 and 7 for eg) I think that would be something that would appeal. Lukosius looks set to be a superstar, but would probably play similarly to Charlie Curnow. Not saying that would be a bad thing, if we had and kept 1 I'd be more than happy with taking him, but if we could get a Walsh or Rankine as well as another highly rated mid instead, I think that would serve us better in the long run.

A team screaming out for talls however, would be a lot less likely to part with a top pick. I don't know that St Kilda would part with pick 3 (if draft ranking remain similar to what they are now) given they desperately need elite talls at both ends. Someone like Ben King would be ideal for them, so if they thought they'd miss out by shuffling back, then you're right, they wouldn't.

It's going to be an interesting trade and draft period this year, and I think it's a year where anything could happen.

Anyone got access to Herald Sun online, (and can copy and paste the article) Gary Buc posted a top ten prospects article I wanna read from this years crop, his views on drafts are usually solid as a rock.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back