Draft Profile 2018 Mature Aged Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Good on him. I’m a Norwood supporter so would hate too lose him. But should never have been delisted so hope he gets another chance. As I said Walshy loved him

Yeah selfishly from a Norwood perspective, it'd be good if he stays at SANFL level, but he deserves another shot in the AFL.

Also, I'll find it puzzling if Anthony Wilson attracts no further interest from AFL clubs this offseason. He's 26 years old, but has truly elite pace and is clever, creative and dangerous anywhere within 80m of goal.

Yeah, I watched the game, and have watched him all season. Grigg looks like a solid rock. Don't think he's out of shape at all.

I tend to think some of his "attitude problems" stemmed from frustration at being one of the best players in the Crows' Reserves side in 2015-2016, yet continuously getting overlooked at the AFL selection table.

You could argue that it's his physical abilities (developed during five years on an AFL list) that largely separate him from the competition in the SANFL, but I don't think he'd be off the pace at AFL level. I don't think you win two straight Magarey Medals and dominate the best state league in Australia without being in some sort of decent nick.

Endurance can be developed by anyone at any age, especially in a professional sporting system. He's got a decent base to work with, given his previous AFL experience, and that can always be built upon. You want a mature ager to have the body size and strength, ability to win the ball and skill and experience to do something with it, and Grigg definitely has that. Clubs would probably get more out of him for 2-3 seasons than drafting some random 18-year-old with a late National Draft or Rookie Draft pick.

Just to add to this, this is a picture of "Fatty" Grigg yesterday:

cb11c5cd1ece86c8a829ffb9dcc05913

Bloke is built like a tank, a la Mark Ricciuto

Works all day as a landscaper pushing barrows of soil and lifting pavers

I guess if you draft him you'd be hoping to slim him down to increase his endurance and speed. Hopefully by quite a bit.

Interesting question with the mature mini draft:

Will Carlton or Gold Coast have access to Mitch Podhajski? He went undrafted last year and has played VFL.

Interesting question with the mature mini draft:

Will Carlton or Gold Coast have access to Mitch Podhajski? He went undrafted last year and has played VFL.

Yes they have access, but No.....He's not in the conversation.

Any player who has previously nominated for the draft is open & available to both clubs.

It was reported by local GC media last month we would take Collins & Pickett, and recently there has been a lot of murmurs we have a deal to take Corbett as well.

Who are the players expected to be selected by GG and Carlton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton : McAdams and Corey Rich
Gold Coast : Josh Corbett , Marlion Pickett , Callum Wilkins.

Carlton : McAdam and Corey Rich
Gold Coast : Josh Corbett , Marlion Pickett , Callum Wilkins.

I think you mean Wilkie.

The Top 10 prospects, outside of de-listed or uncontracted AFL players, appear to be:

Sam Collins...….194cm.....15/6/94....24....VFL
Chris Burgess....193cm....6/6/96......22....S/A
Callum Wilkie…..191cm....10/3/96....22....S/A
Josh Corbett......190cm....23/4/96....22....VFL
Matthew Parker..187cm....25/1/96....22….W/A
Jye Bolton...……..187cm....3/3/92......26....W/A
Shane McAdam..185cm....28/5/95.....23....S/A
Marlion Pickett....184cm....6/1/92.....26....W/A
Corey Rich...……..183cm....29/3/97....21....VFL
Mitch Grigg...…...182cm....2/1/93......25....S/A

Maybe in ND Draft .I'm still Question his agility let see what is his agility result in state Combine .
I wouldn’t worry about it.. you get a 3rd round (at latest) quality player for (virtually) free.
Leaves the club the ability to use said 3rd round pick on another player.

I think you mean Wilkie.

The Top 10 prospects, outside of de-listed or uncontracted AFL players, appear to be:

Outside of this top 10

Brett Bewley (Williamstown)
Jack Hayes (WOODVILLE WEST TORRENS)
Cody Leggett ( Perth )

Outside of this top 10

Brett Bewley (Williamstown)
Jack Hayes (WOODVILLE WEST TORRENS)
Cody Leggett ( Perth )

I reckon the lack of rucks on offer means that Darcy Fort & Zac Clarke will be getting a gig as rookie ruckmen, if not sooner....
Kieran Briggs from the GWS Academy being another.

Also Kreuger, Jok, Hore, Watson, Hind, Scott & Maguire would appear as fair chances for different reasons.

I think you mean Wilkie.

How far off that list would nick hind be?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hopefully clubs have a look at Tim Kelly this year, and the impact of other players like Liam Ryan and Willie Rioli and don't bed themselves down with an 18 year old project athlete who will likely never make it.

Players like Michael Gibbons, Mitch Grigg, Sam Collins, Ben Sokol, Alex Woodward (when uninjured) and Jye Bolton are all AFL standard footy players. They'd be walk up starts at the Gold Coast any day of the week.

Interesting you mention Ben Sokol was thinking myself he might be worth a shot as a medium forward great kick as well Marlon Pickett should play round 1 for Gold Coast next year has all the attributes needed think he plays his best footy off half back but very versatile and hard at it as well.
Jye Bolton also deserves another shot cant see why he wouldnt get kicks as an inside mid for Gold Coast why not?

Collins and Pickett would be two I would be very confident about acquiring. The 3rd is the one I am unsure about, talks of possibly being Corbett.

Just as an aside I am glad the club is recognising that we need mature hard working talent around the club and not another group of 18 year olds and a bunch of blokes trying to top up their super. Hopefully this backroom staff can set the right tone after a previous 7 years of off field issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back