GF & Premiers: Melbourne Vs Port Adelaide - Port Premiers
Norm Smith: Jack Watts
Brownlow: Jack Watts
Coleman: Jack Watts
Power B&F: Jack Watts
Power AA’s: Jack Watts
Power Most Improved: Jack Watts
Power Rising Star Nominees: Jack Watts

Looks like we are all picking the same top 8.

I made this top 8 in my head over a few beers Christmas day and will stick with it despite some unflattering JLT form from the selected Grand finalists.

Port V Geelong GF.
Sydney and Adelaide getting knocked out in the prelims.
GWS, Richmond, Melbourne and Essendon to round out top 8.

LADDER:

Richmond
Geelong
Port Adelaide
GWS
Adelaide
Demons
Bulldogs
Sydney

GF & Premiers: Port Vs Richmond - Ports win by 27 points
Brownlow: Rory Sloane
Coleman: Josh Kennedy
Power B&F: Gray
Power AA’s: Gray Wingard
Power Most Improved: Bonner
Power Rising Star Nominees: Bonner

1. GWS - Some say they have a lot of injuries but they did last year and still made Top 4 and all their high draft picks will be more experienced.

2. Sydney - A bit short staffed in the ruck department, but you can never get rid of this mob! They're always around the mark and they'll be extra keen to make up for that costly 0-6 start last year.

3. Port Adelaide - A bit of bias and wishful thinking in this one, but hopefully the recruits all pay off and we start beating a few more of the higher ranked sides.

4. Geelong - A lot would have to wrong for them to not do well with Dangerwoodlett and the significant home ground advantage they have.

5. Adelaide - Lever, Cameron and Smith are all losses but Gibbs is a big gain! Will win most games at home.

6. Essendon - An exciting side that played some brilliant football last year. If they can be more consistent then they're a scary prospect. Top 4 smoky as well!

7. Melbourne - Surely their time is now? After missing out the way they did last year, you'd think they surely couldn't miss the 8?

8. Richmond - May be a bit hungover but they showed enough last year to suggest that they can back it up again this year.

-------------------------------

9. St Kilda - The heat is on them! They need to make the 8 otherwise how do you justify 5 years of no finals when you've supposedly been building that whole time?

10. Western Bulldogs - Trengove, Schache and Crozier are all handy recruits but they struggled last year when more teams gave them more attention. Was 2016 one big fluke? We'll know soon enough.

11. Hawthorn - The toughest team to gauge. They were actually pretty good in the second half of last season but a disastrous start cost them. They will either finish around this region or return to the Top 4!

12. Fremantle - Still have a bit of work to do, but if Fyfe, Neale and Mundy all fire then they will win more games.

13. West Coast - They were very shaky last year and were very lucky to scrape into the 8. They've lost a ton of experience and their form away from home is very poor, plus they have a new home ground to get used to.

14. Brisbane Lions - A lot of promising signs up there. Hopefully their young talent improve further and Luke Hodge makes a difference to their playing group.

15. Collingwood - No forwards or backs and Goldsack will miss the entire season. The pressure on Buckley will be immense.

16. North Melbourne - Will be competitive but won't register that many wins, so pretty similar to their 2017.

17. Carlton - Not much you can do with a list like theirs. Gibbs and Docherty are huge losses and they have no scoring power.

18. Gold Coast - They're in good hands under Dew but they're heavily disadvantaged this year.

Brownlow: Tom Mitchell
Coleman: Buddy
Power B&F: Robbie Gray
Power AA’s: R Gray, Dixon
Power Most Improved: Riley Bonner
Power Rising Star Nominees: Bonner, Marshall

GF & Premiers: For the first time in years I struggle to come up with a prediction, but I have habit of correctly tipping one Grand Finalist every year, so with that in mind, I'll guarantee us a 50% chance of making the GF ;) : Port Adelaide(w) vs Geelong

Last edited:
So you’re backing up my point.

If the action didn’t warrant the punishment of Brownlow ineligibility due to it occurring in the pre season competition then it should follow that his one game suspension be served in the next JLT game, not the premiership season. The running of this game is comical.

Comical isn't the word I was thinking of.

Top 8
Port-Hopeful our new recruits can provide the better delivery forward and goals we need
Richmond
GWS
Geelong
Adelaide-Leaver will be a big big loss.
Sydney-Fairly slim ruck division will hurt them
Melbourne
Essendon

Unlucky
Western Bulldogs
St Kilda
Hawthorn

Grand Final: Port vs GWS-Port win 11 points. Motlop to kick the sealer with a 45 seconds to go and a finger twirl!!
Brownlow: Custy
Coleman: Charlie
Power B&F: Ryder
Power AA’s: R Gray, Dixon, Ryder
Power Most Improved: Howard
Power Rising Star Nominees: Bonner and Marshall

GF & Premiers: GWS v. Port - Port to win
Brownlow: Martin and Dangerfield (tie)
Coleman: Josh Kennedy (WCE)
Power B&F: Charlie Dixon
Power AA’s: R Gray, Dixon, Rockliff
Power Most Improved: DBJ
Power Rising Star Nominees: Todd Marshall, Reilly Bonner

2018 Predictions:

LADDER:
Richmond
GWS
Port Adelaide
Geelong
Melbourne
Sydney
Hawthorn
Essendon

Fremantle
Adelaide
Western Bulldogs
Carlton
St Kilda
Collingwood
Brisbane
Gold Coast
West Coast (tanking - clearly not the 17th best team)
North Melbourne

GF & Premiers: Richmond Vs Port Adelaide - Port Adelaide Premiers
Brownlow: Josh Kelly
Coleman: Lance Franklin
Power B&F: Tom Rockliff
Power AA’s: Rockliff, Motlop
Power Most Improved: Hamish Hartlett
Power Rising Star Nominees: Riley Bonner, can Dom Barry be nominated now he is re-entering? if so Dom Barry

If you look closely at my ladder you can see the exact amount of respect I have for Bryce Gibbs.

LADDER:
GWS
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Sydney
Richmond
Geelong
Essendon
Collingwood

Melbourne
West Coast
Western Bulldogs
St Kilda
Hawks
Carlton
Fremantle
Gold Coast
Brisbane
Norf

GF & Premiers: GWS (W) Vs Port Adelaide
Brownlow: Dustin Martin
Power B&F:
Brad Ebert
Power AA’s: Wingard Dixon Polec
Power Most Improved: Dom Barry
Power Rising Star Nominees: Bonner, Marshall

Last edited:
Top 8

Adelaide
Sydney
Gws
Port
Melbourne
Geelong
Essendon
Richmond

Premiers - Sydney v Richmond (Sydney)
Brownlow - Dayne Beams
Coleman - Brown
Power bnf - Dixon
Power AA - Dixon, gray, Hartlett
Most improved - Hartlett
Rising star - Bonner

Everyone always predicts Geelong to slide but forget that they have 9 home games at Kardinia Park where they're near on unbeatable.

They'll finish top 4.

They also have some magical ability to eke out wins because some otherwise bog-standard random is able to come out of the clouds and play like a worldbeater if only momentarily.

Cam Guthrie's temporary powers well and truly wore off last year. Watch that return in time to face us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They also have some magical ability to eke out wins because some otherwise bog-standard random is able to come out of the clouds and play like a worldbeater if only momentarily.

Cam Guthrie's temporary powers well and truly wore off last year. Watch that return in time to face us.
Since Jason Davenport retires we’ve lacked a spud that tears the opposition apart. Why can’t we be the spudee for a change instead of the spudded? In before Toumpas completes time trial then kicks 8.

Since Jason Davenport retires we’ve lacked a spud that tears the opposition apart. Why can’t we be the spudee for a change instead of the spudded? In before Toumpas completes time trial then kicks 8.

I reckon there would’ve been a few oppo supporters saying “who the f@&k is #40?!” back in 2016.

1. GWS - Starting to gel at last, Scully is now one of the premier midfielders of the comp and injured players are coming back. One in particular is Stephen Coniglio who doesn't seem to get the respect he deserves. In the last two seasons (33 games for him) he has only had below 20 possessions twice and 30 or above 12 times.

2. Port Adelaide - We were always around the point last year and there were plenty of games where we had it won except we led in the last few minutes by 3 points where better kicking would have made it 3 goals. That was our main failing and as I see it that has been addressed. And better players have been picked up.

3. Geelong - May start poorly if the Dangerfield hamstring is bad, although I doubt that it is. Will win most games(and free-kick counts) at home.

4. Sydney - They won't have that 0-6 start this year. The only reason I am putting them 4th is I think McVeigh and Kennedy may not have as much of an influence this year.

5. Richmond - A number of good players, a lot of whom were second-tier for part of last year but have now stepped up and they have the hunger.

6. Adelaide -
Melbourne and Carlton will have extra reasons for wanting to beat them but I would think only Melbourne have a chance, no longer do they have that scary Showdown prospect and they should lose 1, maybe both.

7. Hawthorn -
Again a team that had a poor start to the season. I can't see that happening again. The big changes they had made to their personnel gave them little chance to recover and the fact Jaeger O'Meara was not there most of the time. In six games he averaged 21 disposals with 36 in one match. With him back they can challenge for finals.

8. Essendon -
The "sanctions" that were placed on them in 2016 really only held them back in that year and allowed a number 1 pick. After some good trades in 2017 they should get into the finals at the least.

9. Melbourne - I would have picked them to make the finals but I can see Hawthorn coming through. If Melbourne weren't perennial underachievers then I'd have favored them over Hawthorn.

10. Western Bulldogs - Trengove is looking to enjoy his role with the Bulldogs more than the defensive and then forward ones he had with us. If Libba, Bont and JJ take off as well they could even be in the top 4. But with the gap between best and worst this is where I expect them to finish.

11. St Kilda - Nearly got past us without Riewoldt, if Steven can keep up his form for the whole year instead of going missing for a few games in a row they could possibly make finals. But I doubt it.

12. Collingwood - No Goldsack and looking at their 5th double figure finish in a row. The game against the Crows was exceedingly bad for them, drawing after being so far ahead. Although if Wells stays on the ground more they have a chance to do something.

13. Fremantle - As they haven't had the upheaval West Coast have had I'd select them to finish higher than them. But I don't think they can do much better than 13th.

14. West Coast - Mitchell and Priddis are big losses but they still have a good spine although if Kennedy is out for an extended time I can't see them finishing above 14th and they may be even lower.

15. Gold Coast -
Fiorini, Hall and Lynch are all looking like they could have best years. Young is better placed than when he was an outside top 22 player at Port. Dew has brought strong ideas from Sydney, where he would have learnt a lot in 7 years at one of the AFL's more successful clubs.

16. Brisbane Lions -
It's not all that often you can call 4-8 an improvement but after Brisbane started 1-9 that is just what it is. I expect that improvement to go on and Brisbane are one of the teams I'm not confident in placing. I think they'll win 6-9 games and could be placed 12-16.

17. North Melbourne - Always difficult against North but can't see them improving on last year. In fact I expect their main avenue to goal(Brown) to be closed off by a lot of teams.

18. Carlton - One of their best acquisitions may be Cam O'Shea. And they have lost Docherty and Gibbs. Says it all.

Last edited:
For us to win the premiership, we need to be playing Sydney or GWS in the Grand Final. Otherwise, we will just get a beating.

One team I would not like to play in the GF is the Swans. They'll be super determined after failing in 2014 & 2016, and just quietly, the AFL owe them a premiership after what they did to them in 2016...

...and I'd hate to play a long suffering Victorian side like Melbourne or Essendon. I mean we all saw the lengths they went to to ensure a Western Bravedogs premiership.

Lol my lack of trust in the AFL speaks volumes.

2018 Predictions:

LADDER:

Sydney
Geelong
Port
Melbourne
Richmond
GWS
Essendon
Western Bulldogs

Adelaide
St. Kilda
West Coast
Carlton
Hawthorn
Fremantle
Collingwood
Gold Coast
Brisbane
North Melbourne

GF & Premiers: Sydney Vs Melbourne - Sydney Premiers
Brownlow: Marcus Bontempelli
Power B&F: Charlie Dixon
Power AA’s: Robbie Gray, Paddy Ryder, Chad Wingard, Hamish Hartlett, Charlie Dixon
Power Most Improved: Dougal Howard, Riley Bonner, Jarrod Lienert
Power Rising Star Nominees: Todd Marshall, Riley Bonner

Every now and then I think they'll drop away and then I look at the personnel they have....
GWS will have their first free agents but with their academy access they can get top 10 draft picks wherever they finish and their discount can be worth up to 7 draft places. With the success that looks certain to come their way I can see very few if any of their top 22 leaving.

Back