Review 2018 Summer Series 4 - Reminiscing your fave ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Was that the game where he whacked someone from behind and Deni$ got ambushed on Rex Hunt's show the next morning with the footage?

Don't remember mate. Duck was belting someone every week back in those days.

Denis's head turned to this when we came back from the footage-

That's his standard look.

From his Wikipedia.

"Carey was criticised widely for both his on and off field behaviour. On the field he was reported three times and suspended twice for a total of five weeks in 1994."

I reckon one was at WOval for a late spoil v Dogs...one for Crows late spoil.

It was his attempt to be Dermie Lite.

From his Wikipedia.

"Carey was criticised widely for both his on and off field behaviour. On the field he was reported three times and suspended twice for a total of five weeks in 1994."

I don't remember the one from the Western Oval v Footscray, but I was only about 50 metres away from the one at the Western Oval v Fitzroy

True...did Fitzroy play at the WOval by that stage?

Yes mate.

Fitzroy were stationed at the Western Oval for their last 3 seasons (94-96).

The match was round 8 of the 1994 season.

It was a grinding game in heavy conditions and North could only shake the Roys in the last quarter.

I'm certain Duck got rubbed out for 2 weeks in this match.

Yes mate.

Fitzroy were stationed at the Western Oval for their last 3 seasons (94-96).

The match was round 8 of the 1994 season.

It was a grinding game in heavy conditions and North could only shake the Roys in the last quarter.

I'm certain Duck got rubbed out for 2 weeks in this match.

Yep...old age it was Lions in the shade on rhe Members Stand side last quartr. Lion fans went nutz.

Maybe we bumped into each other Snake during the 90s?

If I had to choose somewhere other than holy ground it would be Princes Park, due top the fact that I was there when North kicked the club record 35-19-229 to Sydney 16-9-105 in 1993. It's also Sydney's highest score conceded.

Amazingly Sydney outscored North 7-2 to 4-2 in the 2nd quarter, but otherwise North piled on 11, 10 and 10 goal quarters.

McAdam 10-6 from 14 marks, Longmire 9-4, Carey 26 disposals 8 marks and 3-2, the Fridge chimed in with 3 and even the Big Russian kicked 3.

The fact that it is also the highest score ever kicked at the home of the Carlton Football Club also fills my heart with joy, and I am quick to remind any smartarse Carlton supporter that crosses my path. I also liked the fact that I used to be able to buy cans just behind the scoreboard..

The beer stall behind the scoreboard sparked a memory or two. Never asked for ID. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold. You should have asked for a picture.

The fact Kerrison was stark naked as he shook my hand would've made that follow up request for a pic doubly awkward just quietly.

I don't remember the one from the Western Oval v Footscray, but I was only about 50 metres away from the one at the Western Oval v Fitzroy

I felt like I was within 20 metres of it, in front of the EJ Whitten Stand on the terrace.

He got the ex Carlton player Sartori.

Yep, Sartori nipped in to mark in front of Duck as it dropped short and Carey belted the back of his head with a deliberate punch which made one almighty "WHACK" as it collected him. The Roys fans went off their heads with rage. I loved it!

I felt like I was within 20 metres of it, in front of the EJ Whitten Stand on the terrace.

Yep, Sartori nipped in to mark in front of Duck as it dropped short and Carey belted the back of his head with a deliberate punch which made one almighty "WHACK" as it collected him. The Roys fans went off their heads with rage. I loved it!

That's the one.:thumbsu:

@ 5:42

Last edited:
From his Wikipedia.

Can't remember the year, but I'm fairly certain he did get done for a late spoil vs the Dogs. I was down the other end of the ground so didn't get a good view of it, but the locals went troppo. Then again, they'd often lose it over any perceived slight, so who knows?

Can't remember the year, but I'm fairly certain he did get done for a late spoil vs the Dogs. I was down the other end of the ground so didn't get a good view of it, but the locals went troppo. Then again, they'd often lose it over any perceived slight, so who knows?

It appears to be Fitzroy Lions.

Thete is video of him doing that awesome mark v Dogs from W.Oval but I think that may have been 93.

Someone needs to upload the 93 to 99 Roos videos. I have them all but my VCR shreds tapes these days.

It appears to be Fitzroy Lions.

Thete is video of him doing that awesome mark v Dogs from W.Oval but I think that may have been 93.

Someone needs to upload the 93 to 99 Roos videos. I have them all but my VCR shreds tapes these days.
True, a quick bit of googling indicates the only time he missed after playing the dogs was 10 weeks after Round 10 1991, and I wasn't at that game. I remember the Satori one as it sounds like I was standing near everyone else here that was at the game.

For future reference regarding the tribunal from 2000 onward:
http://www.nmfc.com.au/club/history/tribunal-history

Was Barry Standfield the recipient of a Carey whack to the scone while attempting a spoil from behind ?

I think he was in trouble nearly every week at the start of '94. In the Round 3 thrashing of Hawthorn he was looked at for one incident, the next week he was let off for whacking Standfield, a couple of weeks later he was under scrutiny for eye-gouging Sean Wight, the week after that he got 2 for hitting Sartori and two weeks after coming back he got 3 for hitting Ben Hart. Through all of this he was playing sensational footy and establishing himself as the best player in the competition. In Rounds 2, 3 and 4 he polled 3 votes (we had a bye in Round 1) and he got 2 votes in Round 6 (Jakovich toweled him up in Round 5). Then, after being suspended in Round 7, he only polled in two more games (2 votes each time). But he was clearly BOG in the two finals against Hawthorn and Geelong.

Of the 5 games he got suspended for, we only won 1 - the 125th anniversary match against Collingwood (our biggest ever home crowd). We lost games to Brisbane, Richmond and Essendon - all of whom missed the finals that year and all fairly close. We finished the H&A 3rd that year and had a week off going into a Preliminary Final so it's hard to say that his suspensions were costly. More costly was the umpiring in the PF against Geelong (32 frees to 13). But we certainly relied on him heavily that year and lost momentum with his absences.

I think he was in trouble nearly every week at the start of '94. In the Round 3 thrashing of Hawthorn he was looked at for one incident, the next week he was let off for whacking Standfield, a couple of weeks later he was under scrutiny for eye-gouging Sean Wight, the week after that he got 2 for hitting Sartori and two weeks after coming back he got 3 for hitting Ben Hart. Through all of this he was playing sensational footy and establishing himself as the best player in the competition. In Rounds 2, 3 and 4 he polled 3 votes (we had a bye in Round 1) and he got 2 votes in Round 6 (Jakovich toweled him up in Round 5). Then, after being suspended in Round 7, he only polled in two more games (2 votes each time). But he was clearly BOG in the two finals against Hawthorn and Geelong.

Of the 5 games he got suspended for, we only won 1 - the 125th anniversary match against Collingwood (our biggest ever home crowd). We lost games to Brisbane, Richmond and Essendon - all of whom missed the finals that year and all fairly close. We finished the H&A 3rd that year and had a week off going into a Preliminary Final so it's hard to say that his suspensions were costly. More costly was the umpiring in the PF against Geelong (32 frees to 13). But we certainly relied on him heavily that year and lost momentum with his absences.

You could say 'No Carey, no North'

Just sayin

Great stats as usual.

Yes his agression was misplaced and unnecessary because he was so good.

You could even say it was the start of 'Carey's...a wonker..'.clap clap clap...era.

I was never a part of this but I do occasionally clap it when i see him on Friday night tv but not when he is on Mmm.

I still think despite everything he is self concious when on Tv.

Great stats as usual.

Yes his agression was misplaced and unnecessary because he was so good.

You could even say it was the start of 'Carey's...a wonker..'.clap clap clap...era.

I was never a part of this but I do occasionally clap it when i see him on Friday night tv but not when he is on Mmm.

I still think despite everything he is self concious when on Tv.

Carey had a pretty clean record overall - 12 reports, suspended for 8 weeks all up (I think he got reported playing for the Crows against us in 2004). He just went through that period in early '94 that had him mark for a while as a dirty player...or even a Wayne Kerr (I wish he was a w@#$er. Had he settled for that he'd have finished his career at NMFC). The stupid part was that none of the incidents were "worth it". You don't want your captain and best player suspended at all, but if he's going to be at least make your opponent hurt or even put the fear of God into them. Most of Carey's incidents were snipy little cheap shots and whacks to the back of the head.

Last edited:
Princes Park, due top the fact that I was there when North kicked the club record 35-19-229 to Sydney 16-9-105 in 1993
It sounds like half the north board members were there!!

What a day. Adrian McAdam just shone. Don't we play St. Kilda soon after and they put Gilbert on him. It just shut Adrian down completely being tagged by his brother.

Best night at the G was when the scoreboard caught fire.

The elephant at Arden St was iconic. The concession stand blowing up was not something to cheer about, but it was memorable.

Second best day at VFL park must have been in the mid to late 80's against *. They had us done until a brilliant north comeback sat those bleeting * apologists on their arises. We did that a few other tomes including the marshmallows game at the G.

Best at VFL Park was the elim final against Carlton in 85. There is a pattern emerging here.

Almost as enjoyable was the 94 game there against the Crows, when Carey dominated and we won by 80 points.

I have vivid memories of leaning out of the number 19 tram, as it rattled down Royal Parade after the match, offering tissues to the abusive Crows fans as they went by in buses.
We sat near the fence andi gave old Neil Kerly a bit of lip as he gave updates to the SA viewers in the breaks. He got a bit upset with me as the crosses were live. At 3/4 time... He Keel... There's nobody in SA watching. I can hear those Adelaide busses revving up as they leave the car park now. After his live cross he came over, informed me that I was an idiot and then agreed with me that they would be watching some other channel in SA by then anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back