News 2019 AFL rules changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Marc Macgowan(yeh I don't know who he is either) talking about the devil's rule - 666.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-13/ruck-and-role-will-new-rule-change-tactics

"Who clubs place in the goalsquare in that scenario is sure to launch plenty of debate.

Is it your No.1 key forward? A fast-leading type who is good overhead, like Dustin Martin? Or could the No.2 ruckman play that role?"

Now I've never once considered Dusty as a "fast-leading type" and I know his overhead marking has improved but it's still not one of his strengths.

WTF meds do you take when you watch the footy, Marc?
LOL Marc, players are free to leave the goalsquare as soon as the ball is bounced in the centre which they will, which makes putting a player there one of the most idiotic things i have ever heard off.

Marc Macgowan(yeh I don't know who he is either) talking about the devil's rule - 666.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-13/ruck-and-role-will-new-rule-change-tactics

"Who clubs place in the goalsquare in that scenario is sure to launch plenty of debate.

Is it your No.1 key forward? A fast-leading type who is good overhead, like Dustin Martin? Or could the No.2 ruckman play that role?"

Now I've never once considered Dusty as a "fast-leading type" and I know his overhead marking has improved but it's still not one of his strengths.

WTF meds do you take when you watch the footy, Marc?
Fast leading/good overhead is not Dusty's thing at all
He engages his opponent, clears the space and dives into the drop of the ball most times

They also talk about this 6-6-6 like it completely changes the way teams line up. At most, sides play an extra on HB.

Absolute idiots

Fast leading/good overhead is not Dusty's thing at all
He engages his opponent, clears the space and dives into the drop of the ball most times

They also talk about this 6-6-6 like it completely changes the way teams line up. At most, sides play an extra on HB.

Absolute idiots
Yep, he could have said Danger and he'd be a bit closer to the mark.

1st game is going to be horrendous , umpires will have no idea what’s going on and the scum will get looked after
It's why i want us to turf the season opener, let some other club be the damn guinea pigs. If they over umpire there will be riots in the stands and more so if we get smashed by the umpires over new rules and carlton don't

those changes are a *en joke

to think we fu*ked up the whole league due to winning our first flag in 37 years. ffs they got the most people through the gates this year in history ! the comp has never been so even

i reckon we might slide a bit cos of these rules

afl is gonna be unwatchable next year

those changes are a ****en joke

to think we fu*ked up the whole league due to winning our first flag in 37 years. ffs they got the most people through the gates this year in history ! the comp has never been so even

i reckon we might slide a bit cos of these rules

afl is gonna be unwatchable next year

The game will be ****ed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6-6-6 IMO will mess a few teams up who love to run 1 or 2 off the back of the square at centre bounces. Running 1 or 2 off the back is also used as a tactic to clear out your forward line because teams who run 1 or 2 off the back off the square are already employing the loose man in defence play. 6-6-6 will screw teams up at centre bounces who love to run with this tactic, no surprise that demons were ranked 1 for centre clearances in 2018 employing the two off the back of the square tactic, going to very interesting to see how the demons tackle this.

demons were also the highest scoring side of 2018.
Demons can continue with 2 off the back of the square. 4 in the centre and 2 players in the middle zone equals 6.

The 6-6-6 rule change to me means we have to sort out our centre clearances as a priority. Teams with good clearance numbers will put their best 1v1 forward in the goal square and put the other 5 on the arc pushing up the ground as soon as the ball is bounced. Result will be a Pagan’s paddock in forward 50 which can only benefit high clearance teams who will bomb it in. We have great 1v1 forwards - but we won’t be able to use that strength with our current midfield. Inside mids/extractors will become far more important commodities now and we are struggling.

Good point above too about the 6-6-6. Hit the front by scoring a goal with 20 seconds to go in a game. Would you just flood back 15 players and concede the centre square free kick to the oppos? A good argument that this would be more effective than rolling the dice on a centre clearance to a more open oppo forward line. Waiting for the AFL to tweak this already.

Good point above too about the 6-6-6. Hit the front by scoring a goal with 20 seconds to go in a game. Would you just flood back 15 players and concede the centre square free kick to the oppos? A good argument that this would be more effective than rolling the dice on a centre clearance to a more open oppo forward line. Waiting for the AFL to tweak this already.
I think that’s an obvious play. Concede the free but your risk of giving up a goal is much lower. Or will the opposing team also sacrifice a free by matching numbers? Leading to a ball-up because neither team respected the 666 positions?

So then what happens if both teams decide not to respect 666 at all for the entire game?

The 6-6-6 rule change to me means we have to sort out our centre clearances as a priority. Teams with good clearance numbers will put their best 1v1 forward in the goal square and put the other 5 on the arc pushing up the ground as soon as the ball is bounced. Result will be a Pagan’s paddock in forward 50 which can only benefit high clearance teams who will bomb it in. We have great 1v1 forwards - but we won’t be able to use that strength with our current midfield. Inside mids/extractors will become far more important commodities now and we are struggling.
We were ranked 4th for centre clearances in 2018, and most centre clearances by all teams very rarely go down the guts, it's out to the wings or flanks most times.

I think that’s an obvious play. Concede the free but your risk of giving up a goal is much lower. Or will the opposing team also sacrifice a free by matching numbers? Leading to a ball-up because neither team respected the 666 positions?

So then what happens if both teams decide not to respect 666 at all for the entire game?
I'm expecting 6-6-6 to be abolished well before finals after negative feedback and that is serves no purpose.

1) 6-6-6 really won’t mean s**t. Will mean the loss of the 7th defender but that’s it. If anything, it will slightly accentuate the impact Lynch will have on our forward line.
2) center clearances were never our issue. Stoppage clearances have been the problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back