Preview 2019 Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The extra 20 they chose look to be bigger bodied, have played against me nand probably were unlucky not to have been chosen in the first place. A player like Peating physically could play AFL tommorow if he was thrown in there

Will be interesting to see the first team that’s for sure. Some of these kids in there are light on the scales so imagine their talent once they have put on weight. Not all players need to play at AFL level next year after getting drafted. Lots of players get drafted & play VFL, NEAFL, WAFL, SANFL for a a year or 2, put on weight, play against Men and just keep finding the footy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will be interesting to see the first team that’s for sure. Some of these kids in there are light on the scales so imagine their talent once they have put on weight. Not all players need to play at AFL level next year after getting drafted. Lots of players get drafted & play VFL, NEAFL, WAFL, SANFL for a a year or 2, put on weight, play against Men and just keep finding the footy.

Reckon it could go the other way with some of the skinny kids losing some pace bulking up. What it will come down to with the 50 kids is who adapts to the colder conditions. Both qld academy teams froze (physically and game wise) when they were down in Melbourne with one star player saying they could barely pick up the ball as their fingers were numb from the cold. Each team finished with their best forward in the midfield as they were getting absolutely smashed by kids who play in those conditions each week

That works to an extent.
However, Gulden as an example, is an absolute accumulator, but how does he show off his ability if he can't get the ball because the opposition has a size advantage?
Anyway, there are some pretty big units that have tanks too.
So hopefully, the selectors will make a balanced selection.

Reckon it could go the other way with some of the skinny kids losing some pace bulking up. What it will come down to with the 50 kids is who adapts to the colder conditions. Both qld academy teams froze (physically and game wise) when they were down in Melbourne with one star player saying they could barely pick up the ball as their fingers were numb from the cold. Each team finished with their best forward in the midfield as they were getting absolutely smashed by kids who play in those conditions each week
Cold .. great insight.
AND wet weather may also hit hard.
Not sure about Qld, but the NSW fields are closed very quickly after rain, so kids rarely get to experience playing in it!

I agree with you 100%
The reason i ask is because there are some very light kids that are the so called "bees knees"..
But without balance across the park, they will get eaten.
That's intetesting. I didn't realise that it was simply a job interview.
So does that mean that the 50 players in the squad that get broken down to a playing group actually have Power and Sheehan and co. decide for the recruiters?
No idea who picks the final team. My guess would be Power, with input from any recruiters who want to see particular kids included.

No idea who picks the final team. My guess would be Power, with input from any recruiters who want to see particular kids included.
Location will play a part, the first game is in Launceston . Would assume most of the 8 tassie kids will get pick for that one

Location will play a part, the first game is in Launceston . Would assume most of the 8 tassie kids will get pick for that one
Ok.
So does that mean each of the 50 will get at least 1 game?
Or the squad gets culled.
The 18s and 19s would take precedence if its about recruiters having a look??

Ok.
So does that mean each of the 50 will get at least 1 game?
Or the squad gets culled.
The 18s and 19s would take precedence if its about recruiters having a look??

I’m pretty sure last year not every player played a game. I don’t think they will cull the squad in case of injury etc. Bottom ages might be first to miss out perhaps?

What do we think of bushrangers boys like Jye chalcraft Lachlan ash jimmy boyer Zane barzen will they get picked up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luckily you don’t need every player to kick goals in a team. Unfortunately those who don’t kick goals don’t often get the kudos they sometimes deserve IMO.

From what I have seen of the Qld teams Griffiths seems wasted on half back and his high possession count which be more use further up the ground

Last edited:
Just watching yesterdays games got to say with so many playing school footy why don't they allow more over agers.. player like hanrahan at Sandy stands out ..

From what I have seen of the Qld teams Griffiths seems wasted on half back and his high possession count which be more use further up the ground

Haven’t seen Griffiths play anywhere but back this year so don’t really know but looks to be a good runner & user of the ball so maybe a winger / chop out midfielder to penetrate deeper forward. Lions Academy back line looked a bit light on for ball winners so probably hard for the coaches to take him out of there.

I that Tozer kid any chance of getting drafted? havent heard about him for a while
Not this year from what I have heard.

He's recovering from his third serious knee injury, and discussion I last read was that he will return to the Brisbane Lions academy as an U19 Academy player next year. Hopefully he stays injury free and gets a good run at it next year.

Good players but apart from Delahunty there’s not a lot of scoring power in there
Apparently there are two Allie games tomm with the squad split in two , however the vic teams have left out some of their best players. No idea if the games will be streamed

Apparently there are two Allie games tomm with the squad split in two , however the vic teams have left out some of their best players. No idea if the games will be streamed
It’s not like either of the Allies teams are at full strength as they’re trial matches to pick the final squad, so I don’t bemoan the fact that we’re playing weakened Vic teams, unless you enjoy watching us get thrashed.

It’s not like either of the Allies teams are at full strength as they’re trial matches to pick the final squad, so I don’t bemoan the fact that we’re playing weakened Vic teams, unless you enjoy watching us get thrashed.
Wonder if the Allies are split probables / possibles and the stronger team would play Vic metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back