List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Mega Thread - Pickett is not eligible as F/S or NGA

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought the 200 sanfl game criteria finished in 2017 for us.

Maybe. I thought the year requirement was discarded, but you could be right.

THE RUCKMEN in this year's NAB AFL Draft look set to be renowned for their athleticism, with three big men running three seconds or under in the 20m sprint at recent national Combine testing days.

Bendigo Pioneers ruckman and Vic Country Academy squad member Aaron Gundry (200cm) ran a time of 2.98sec, while Vic Metro and Sandringham prospect Andrew Courtney (200cm) ran 2.99sec over the distance.

West Perth product Zak Patterson (202cm) clocked a time of three seconds flat to highlight his speed, with any time under that three-second barrier considered exceptional for a player of that height.

West Australian ruckman Luke Jackson (198cm), a possible top-10 pick in this year's draft after forgoing a promising junior basketball career, ran a time of 6min 41sec in a recent 2km time trial to underline his credentials as a prime tall prospect.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-20/athletic-ruckmen-abound-in-2019-draft-crop

Thanks for sharing

I think speed is the least important thing to consider in a ruck. Probably the least important position to have speed in as well.

Rhys Stanley’s probably faster than 99% of ports list.

Luke Jackson is the only ruck I’ve heard of from this draft and he looks very good. Though it’s his work rate and ability to keep involved I like.

I put this in the next generation academy thread but it also belongs here. It's pretty exciting news if true.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-20/athletic-ruckmen-abound-in-2019-draft-crop

South Australian Kysaiah Pickett, the nephew of Port Adelaide and North Melbourne great Byron, also featured prominently in the agility test, running a time of 7.88sec. Pickett is aligned to the Power's NGA and appears likely to be drafted this season.

I put this in the next generation academy thread but it also belongs here. It's pretty exciting news if true.

South Australian Kysaiah Pickett, the nephew of Port Adelaide and North Melbourne great Byron, also featured prominently in the agility test, running a time of 7.88sec. Pickett is aligned to the Power's NGA and appears likely to be drafted this season.
I remember reading/hearing this about a year ago. I think I even mentioned it on bigfooty but when questioned couldn’t find a link.

Not sure if that supports this as being factually correct or a misprint likely to be retracted.

Maybe. I thought the year requirement was discarded, but you could be right.

I thought the sunset clause was dispensed with too. Otherwise it was biased against players who became fathers later in life.

Wow I did not know that Pickett was a nga player for us.

That is good news. Although I suspect as a 170cm (last years height I don’t know if he has grown) small forward he will feature later in the draft

He is genuinely lightening quick and hits hard.

Thats awesome ! He's one of the real elite talents in this years draft isn't he ?

Nah. Still want to hear it confirmed he is NGA but I want to believe

Probably a late pick.

I'm prepared to believe.

Pickett is aligned to the Power's NGA and appears likely to be drafted this season

It's a pretty definitive statement by the afl site and implies they have some knowledge of intent regarding Pickett.

The afl site might have bad puns but it is very accurate regarding player contracts, status etc. The site is fed by the afl and the clubs.

I'm assuming the afl is still tinkering with zones and rules this year and thats why there hasn't been a comprehensive list of players.

It could also explain the glut of fourth rounders we have for the draft.

Anyway, the game needs more explosive players to make it more fun to watch.

Getting a Mead, Burgoyne and Pickett has to be a good thing for the club and its culture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm prepared to believe.

Pickett is aligned to the Power's NGA and appears likely to be drafted this season

It's a pretty definitive statement by the afl site and implies they have some knowledge of intent regarding Pickett.

It is a very definitive statement by the AFL site but you'd think we would have heard something about this in the previous 12 months.

It is a very definitive statement by the AFL site but you'd think we would have heard something about this in the previous 12 months.

I understand he is part of our Indigenous academy, Hopefully there not getting that confused.

Could be a recent addition to make him NGA eligible ?

True. Although in the recent articles on NGA players they haven’t mentioned Sladojevic or Anzac lochowiak for the crows, all the talk is around the gws nga players so there hasn’t been a definitive list I’ve seen.

I can confirm he is not on the last NGA list that clubs receive from the AFL. I think the writer is getting confused.

Well that was fun whilst it lasted.

When was the last list received ?

December.

Also said that under current rules Pickett isnt NGA eligible

December.

Also said that under current rules Pickett isnt NGA eligible

Can you elaborate more on what the "current rules" are ? I guess we can hope that they have change the rules but i recon its safe to say the AFL got it wrong and confused this with out indigenous academy.

Can you elaborate more on what the "current rules" are ? I guess we can hope that they have change the rules but i recon its safe to say the AFL got it wrong and confused this with out indigenous academy.

The AFL didn't get it wrong, just the journo.

Indigenous players are only eligible if they live in remote regions. Pickett is a city lad.

The AFL didn't get it wrong, just the journo.

Indigenous players are only eligible if they live in remote regions. Pickett is a city lad.

Thats what i meant, the AFL journo. How long has he been in our indigenous academy ? really that work we put into these kids should be more relevant to draft eligibility then where they live.

I know this is the 2019 draft thread but as Dwayne Russell said 10 minutes ago, there are a s**t load of 2018 draftees debuting Rd 1 and that doesn't include Rankine who is injured.

Did Chris Davies at the members convention say 2019 is a poor draft or was it 2020?

I know this is the 2019 draft thread but as Dwayne Russell said 10 minutes ago, there are a s**t load of 2018 draftees debuting Rd 1 and that doesn't include Rankine who is injured.

Did Chris Davies at the members convention say 2019 is a poor draft or was it 2020?

I’m not sure. We will know more as the year goes on but don’t mind this draft but don’t know if it’s deep or not. 2020 looks very good apparently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back