List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on who I think could be available, I think we should go into draft night with the following priorities:

1. Fischer McAsey
2. Brodie Kemp
3. Code Weightman
4. Offer to trade with Fremantle: pick 13 and Adelaide future third for pick 22, Fremantle future 2nd and Melbourne future 2nd
5. Bid on Liam Henry
6. One of Bergman/Worrell/Sharp/De Koning/Bianco, whoever we deem best of the rest.

All of Rowell, Anderson, Serong, Flanders, Young, Ash, Jackson, Robertson and Stephens will be gone, which is 9 out of 12 players before our pick.

Worrell is listed at 195cm as an 18 year old...

Alex Rance is one of the best key-defenders ever, 194cm.
Alex Keath is 198cm, I'm not really sure what height has to do with it. It's all about core strength, positioning, footy smarts, play style, etc. Worrell seems more of an interceptor than a stopper, which is my issue

Love to see Cavarra and West given a run in that role first, along with the hybrids of Lloyd, Dickson, Dale,
Lipinski and Greene. I don't think things are as dire in the forward half as people think just need better
delivery.

Who can we get that can play that wing/outside role, to provide that delivery?

We need a small to provide pressure.... not sure pick 13 is where I would take Weightman.
We could pick Henry (pressure and small) but Freo will match.
Every small forward in the AFL has to apply pressure in 2019. Those that don't play in the state leagues.

Love to see Cavarra and West given a run in that role first, along with the hybrids of Lloyd, Dickson, Dale,
Lipinski and Greene. I don't think things are as dire in the forward half as people think just need better
delivery.
I also think West and Cavarra should be given a run. Still, they're not known quantities at AFL level, which is enough reason to justify selecting a small forward, particularly with Lloyd aged 30 and Dickson 33.

Delivery isn't that big of an issue in my opinion. We have some of the best kicks in the AFL on our list.
Part of what made Richmond such a strong team the last few years is how good they are when the ball is brought to ground inside 50. Besides Martin, they're not renown for their high quality kicking skills.

Who can we get that can play that wing/outside role, to provide that delivery?
This is where it becomes difficult because it is tied in with the teams methodology a couple of years ago we
toyed with making Hunter more offensive and he kicked eight or so the first few weeks of the year, but we
got opened up going the other way. The different areas of the ground are so linked in the modern game
one weakness and your defence is exposed, but equally I am sure there are plenty of people sick of seeing
us volume dominate games and lose (Round 14 versus Collingwood exhibit a). I think in time the young
guy Vandermeer can become that player, but at the moment it comes off the back of turnover or volume
handball chains rather than run and carry and pure surge like Richmond do. Every draft has plenty of
Suckling types if you like, but they are frowned upon because of their contested possession ratio this
one is no different.

We need a small to provide pressure.... not sure pick 13 is where I would take Weightman.
We could pick Henry (pressure and small) but Freo will match.
Weightman provides defensive pressure... He is an aggressive little fella

He plays both roles with ability to mark the ball and kick goals at ground level and has the Xfactor we need up front hence why quite a few Phantoms have him with us. I had Bergman and Weightman at similar points in my rankings, I went with Weightman because of that and because he has the runs on the board over Bergman. That being said there could be some suprises for people on here on draft day on where Weightman goes, could easily end up top 10 which could mean either a slider or one of McAsey or Bergman being picked by us.

Shame I missed out on his mate at our second by a pick or two lol.

If we want defensive pressure from a small forward, Ned Cahill should be our guy. He is a pressure machine, tackles strong, and his endurance is elite for a small. Would love to see McAsey at 13, Cahill at 53 then have someone like Brock Smith slide to our final pick, wherever it ends up landing. I'd be willing to bet we get none of those guys

He plays both roles with ability to mark the ball and kick goals at ground level and has the Xfactor we need up front hence why quite a few Phantoms have him with us. I had Bergman and Weightman at similar points in my rankings, I went with Weightman because of that and because he has the runs on the board over Bergman. That being said there could be some suprises for people on here on draft day on where Weightman goes, could easily end up top 10 which could mean either a slider or one of McAsey or Bergman being picked by us.

Mahony?

I wouldn’t mind him at pick ~50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If McAsey and Weightman are both there who would you take?

If we want defensive pressure from a small forward, Ned Cahill should be our guy. He is a pressure machine, tackles strong, and his endurance is elite for a small. Would love to see McAsey at 13, Cahill at 53 then have someone like Brock Smith slide to our final pick, wherever it ends up landing. I'd be willing to bet we get none of those guys
Last pick I'd get a developing ruck. We really don't have great depth in the area hence the Jack Bell pick. Him or if Jamieson drops through would be nice at our last.

Last pick I'd get a developing ruck. We really don't have great depth in the area hence the Jack Bell pick. Him or if Jamieson drops through would be nice at our last.
I don't disagree, but I kind of doubt we do go for a developing ruck thanks to how little Bevo values the position.

Outside of English, we have Trengove struggling for a game, plus Schache + Naughton + Cordy having runs in there. Sweet is basically our sole developing ruck.

I wouldn't be against Ben Kelly as another option, since he's a KPD/Ruck and very athletic

I don't disagree, but I kind of doubt we do go for a developing ruck thanks to how little Bevo values the position.

Outside of English, we have Trengove struggling for a game, plus Schache + Naughton + Cordy having runs in there. Sweet is basically our sole developing ruck.

I wouldn't be against Ben Kelly as another option, since he's a KPD/Ruck and very athletic
He'd like Jamieson. Similiar to English with his work around the ground. He is like another midfielder at times.

Bell has the ability to go forward and impact the scoreboard so he isn't one dimensional which I think Bev wants in his Rucks. Hence why we see English in forward at times.

Interesting - what do you like about Worrell? Profiles seem to indicate he's a tallish defensive rebounder.
Tall enough to be a KPD but also really good footskills so can rebound. Good at ground level for a tall. Versatile - can play forward, even on a wing. Excellent reader of the play and interceptor. A lot to like.

I hope we don't take a small/medium rebounder like Rivers. Aside from being overstocked in the position, MacPherson looks to be developing in that role too (plays a lot like Taylor Duryea).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back