Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he though ....I like his contested marking as a potential Forward .....he has played forward after all

Each to their own, won Vic Metro's M.V.P. at the Championships playing as a key back showing he's good one on one with a nice blend of both defensive and offensive skills as well as next level intercept marking. Also played Key Back and had an outstanding game when the U18's played the North Melbourne VFL. Added to that the lad had said in several media interviews he thinks his best spot is down back so at this point I'm going with him.

None will be screwed over.

So pick 22 & 23:

Possibly:
Pickett,Day

Probably:
DeKoning,Gould, Shoenberg

Pick 35:
Sharp,Taylor,C.Stephens
Sharp and C Stephens won't be there at 37

Reckon it'll be two of these guys at 22/23: Gould, Schoenberg, Rantall, D Williams, De Koning, O'Neill (never rule out the Tassie boy with Hamish), Taylor

Each to their own, won Vic Metro's M.V.P. at the Championships playing as a key back showing he's good one on one with a nice blend of both defensive and offensive skills as well as next level intercept marking. Also played Key Back and had an outstanding game when the U18's played the North Melbourne VFL. Added to that the lad had said in several media interviews he thinks his best spot is down back so at this point I'm going with him.
Definitely his most proven skillset is down back as it stands. Not to say that his forward craft can't be developed, though, the tools are there IMO

Would be interesting to hear what Naughton had to say about where he feels most at home during his draft year interviews...

Some have suggested that he will develop into a big arsed midfielder. I can’t find data on his current height. It would be great if he has a big growth spurt and develops into one of the key defender/forwards we need.

Are there any posters who have seen him recently and can provide more reliable information?
If I recall right he's around the 192cm and 88kg mark and will probably wind up around the 194cm mark allowing he's probably still growing.

Played across half back mostly in the recent U17's game on Grand Final day....got nailed HTB a couple of times so he'll want to get that out of his game if he wants to play midfield.

Sharp and C Stephens won't be there at 37

Reckon it'll be two of these guys at 22/23: Gould, Schoenberg, Rantall, D Williams, De Koning, O'Neill (never rule out the Tassie boy with Hamish), Taylor

Nice group.

Everyone wanted to trade the world for luko.. but everyone melting about taking mcasey at 6

Not everyone 😉

hold on, Lukosius was projecting as a generational talent. McAsey has shown some very good form and looks to have a good game and a good future but he does not have the polish (as of yet) that Lukosius had. Saying all that, McAsey is my tip for us at 6

Don't get me wrong I love Luko, just think most (not all) crows fans have this interstate phobia and maybe rate SA players way higher then they should as not many SA boys have set the world on fire in the AFL apart from a select few.

As I have previously stated, from a structural point of view it makes sense to use our first pick on a TALL plus at least one other pick this year.

1) We are highly unlikely to be contending for a the flag for the next three years+.

2) It takes at least three years to develop a Key Forward or Key Defender.

3) We are not getting Lukosius, Cameron or any other quality TALL as a trade.

4) We are likely to pick up two quality mids (Edwards and Borlase) next year plus we are likely to have a top five draft pick in 2020 :rolleyes:.

We currently have three quality inside mids (Sloane, Brouch and Mrouch) but itis questionable if Sloaney will be part of our frontline mids in 3-4 years time. Hopefully Milera and Jones will develop into elite inside mids and we need to play them in the guts next year until it hurts. We also need to determine if Poholke and McHenry can be part of a quality group of inside mids. We can then add the quality mids we pick up in the 2020 draft.

Whilst I shed a tear when we traded THE MIGHTY THOR (and to a lesser extent CEY) every game that would have been played by Greenwood or CEY would have been one less game for our next generation of mids.

My extremely ill-informed money is on McAsey or Jackson, depending how the cards fall.

At this point in time, I wouldn't worry about adding a key forward to the mix unless you want to go a super rough prospect in the rookie draft. You already have the focal point in Fogarty who looks like he has a repeat AA ceiling, and Himmelberg/Frampton as your mid to long term KPF/Ruck, as well as Tex and Lynch short term. I'd be inclined to hold off until at least 2021 before adding another one to the mix, or looking for a middling key forward around the place to take that third target. We can worry about that though once the dust has settled though.

Key defence is an absolute mess and will need some serious focus in this draft. It'll probably also need someone from our key forwards to transition. I'd be very tempted to trial Himmelerg as a third defender this year to try to set him up as Hartigans replacement and use Butts as a third, but either/or works. That said, Talia is 2-3 years away from retirement/being phased out seeing he is looking decently battered, so we need to draft a shut-down defender. That needs to be drafted this year.

I agree that Milera and Jones are likely to develop into elite inside/outside midfielders, on top of the Crouch brothers to build a midfield unit around. I would love one more of the Milera/Jones type though to rotate through. The goal has to be bat deep with high end midfielders. Hopefully Gallucci can come on as well as he's another that could be a very nice piece in the back end of a midfield unit. The other big thing is we'll need a Greenwood replacement, a big bodied midfielder who can rotate forward for that back end. One of the 5 picks is likely to need to go towards this.

The other really good thing is we've accidentally found a ruck with a top 4-5 in the league ceiling in ROB, seeing he can already dominate a game if given a clear run.

Three years has to be the aim to jump back into contention. The pieces are there for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get me wrong I love Luko, just think most (not all) crows fans have this interstate phobia and maybe rate SA players way higher then they should as not many SA boys have set the world on fire in the AFL apart from a select few.

I've admitted that I had luko at 7 last year mainly because he was a SA boy. Looking back that was too early, probably more 10-12 his true value.

That's #34 Riley Thilthorpe 198cm to #23 James's right. James is certainly a well developed 17 year old. #18 Luke Edwards, #37 Henry Smith, #9 Zac Dumesny and Port NGA #17 Lachlan Jones

1574396668280.png

Last edited:
I've admitted that I had luko at 7 last year mainly because he was a SA boy. Looking back that was too early, probably more 10-12 his true value.
Dare I say it, your Luko at 7 = Bicks’ Rowell at 4 :p

In all seriousness, each to their own, but I genuinely think both will develop into stars of the comp. Rowell as dominant and as tough as they come, and Luko with the insane footy brain and balance for a key forward (which he will turn out to be despite playing in defence right now)

Dare I say it, your Luko at 7 = Bicks’ Rowell at 4 :p

In all seriousness, each to their own, but I genuinely think both will develop into stars of the comp. Rowell as dominant and as tough as they come, and Luko with the insane footy brain and balance for a key forward (which he will turn out to be despite playing in defence right now)

I had luko in the Caldwell, Jones, Butters group.
They're all gonna be excellent players, but hardly generational.
Even the no1 pick Walsh isn't geneartional.

If we select McAsey, is there room for Gould considering we have doedee and many are hopeful on Butts?

If the Berg moved down to defence what are opinions on Hartigan going to the forward line? He isnt too slow, not a bad mark. Not sure what his set shot is like...

If we select McAsey, is there room for Gould considering we have doedee and many are hopeful on Butts?

If the Berg moved down to defence what are opinions on Hartigan going to the forward line? He isnt too slow, not a bad mark. Not sure what his set shot is like...
Hartigan Forward ?? bahahahhaaaa , sorry i wont go too hard but i would put that cue right back in the rack real quick .

If he hits the pack hard and brings the balls to ground and creates opportunities for your small forwards maybe, but wouldn't rely on him kicking a bag. think he just by biding his team in the team until someone takes his job.

Hartigan Forward ?? bahahahhaaaa , sorry i wont go too hard but i would put that cue right back in the rack real quick .

Actually it could work because of the traits he does have. He is quick and a good mark. Kicking, like all of our forwards is so-so. Could work. The only problem, it leaves us relying on the Berg to make the transition to CHB. That's not a given.

If he hits the pack hard and brings the balls to ground and creates opportunities for your small forwards maybe, but wouldn't rely on him kicking a bag. think he just by biding his team in the team until someone takes his job.
He'd have been a better forward option in the '17 GF than Otten on Rance

Actually it could work because of the traits he does have. He is quick and a good mark. Kicking, like all of our forwards is so-so. Could work. The only problem, it leaves us relying on the Berg to make the transition to CHB. That's not a given.
[/QUOTE]
Actually , there is no need for it as we have plenty of tall forwards and it is just a silly thought as are your comments .

Not sure of your motive to play devils advocate but if that is your response you need to put your cue in the rack as well .

"Kicking, like all of our forwards is so-so "

Fogarty is one of the best set shots i have seen for a while ... Tex and Lynch are generally above average although the Texan has shanked a few over the last 2 seasons before rediscovering his radar in the second half of 19 . Then we have Frampton yeah or would you rather Hartigan forward than Frampton ??
That makes sense .

Hartigan is quick over 20 metres in a straight line , but his agility is well below average and that says nothing about his ability to accelerate from a defender or create space within the forward setup with leading patterns etc . His marking is decent when he is playing behind the ball using his body and judgement at a decent level it is a completely different ball game hitting it at full pace with better defenders than him denying it .
In fact , the one role he could possibly play forward is the same one that Fogarty has locked up ... hmmm , no thanks !!

The only problem, it leaves us relying on the Berg to make the transition to CHB. That's not a given.

It is not a problem because it is not true ... we could try EH down back and we still have no need for Hartigan to play forward unless we have dual injuries to key forwards and even then you would most likely just move Himmelberg forward and Hartigan back again if he was need for the matchup .
We could still play Talia , Doedee and give Butts a few games and have no need for Hartigan forward or back .
Hartigan is match up specific defender and very good FB depth .

If Nicks put Hartigan forward this board would melt so let's not be stupid .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back