theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
It all depends on the development of Cerra and Brayshaw in the middle. Our midfield will be sparse if those two dont take another step.
At the very least I am expecting improvements on last season regardless of the development of those two (and I expect significant development from them);
  • Neale out, but Conca and Colyer in.
  • Our HB line which has been reliant on midfielders (Blakely, sHill and Cerra) has other options now. Logue returns and Nyhuis is the more natural player in that position.
  • Blakely a ready to go inside bull.
  • Fyfe and the Hills over their injuries.
  • Sandilands and Darcy both look to be available.
  • Instead of Taberner being the default 2nd ruck, we now have Lobb who is a massive upgrade.
  • North and Bewley should be reasonable options. Crowden and Giro at the worst provide depth.
  • Valente is smart and physically pretty developed.
  • Having such a well credentialed forward line will change the midfield play. Even a default plan of "bomb it long" could work. We have a small army of players with elite long kicking skills from the half-back line through the midfield.
  • Our ability to hold the ball forward has improved significantly.
  • All of the above has been a clear strategy which has taken place over a 2-3 year period. The club has been planning for it, and I have no doubt the game plan has been altering to facilitate it. We are ready to go into a fast-track mode.
Yes, I am optimistic.

Aug 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
At the very least I am expecting improvements on last season regardless of the development of those two (and I expect significant development from them);
  • Our HB line which has been reliant on midfielders (Blakely, sHill and Cerra) has other options now. Logue returns and Nyhuis is the more natural player in that position.
  • Instead of Taberner being the default 2nd ruck, we now have Lobb who is a massive upgrade.
  • North and Bewley should be reasonable options. Crowden and Giro at the worst provide depth.
  • Having such a well credentialed forward line will change the midfield play. Even a default plan of "bomb it long" could work. We have a small army of players with elite long kicking skills from the half-back line through the midfield.
  • All of the above has been a clear strategy which has taken place over a 2-3 year period. The club has been planning for it, and I have no doubt the game plan has been altering to facilitate it. We are ready to go into a fast-track mode.
Yes, I am optimistic.
Im optimistic as well, I'm not super bullish about next season. Loving the process though.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Im optimistic as well, I'm not super bullish about next season. Loving the process though.
Oh yeah, I don't think it all hangs on next season. There will be an evaluation of Lyon and how that side of things is progressing, and that means potential change, but that is normal process.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes, I am optimistic.

I am also Optimistic - I agree on all you have said. Conca will be a better get than most on here are giving him credit for. At the very least he is a two way mid, who makes good decisions and has a good tank with a mature body.

With Brayshaw and Cerra developing and improvement from Banfield and Blakely in the middle I think we have improved in every area of the field.

If Hogan only plays as well as last year, and I think he should continue to improve given his age we are big improvers.

Expecting a 7-10 finish.

Jan 23, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Think loss of Neale and in of Hogan offsets to even. If midfield (Blakely, Hill Banfield) hold up and we can make most of early draw get to mid way even w/L and Hogan is up and running we are good for an 12 win season

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I am also Optimistic - I agree on all you have said. Conca will be a better get than most on here are giving him credit for. At the very least he is a two way mid, who makes good decisions and has a good tank with a mature body.

Word of caution. I know several Tiges fans and Conca was their universal scape goat last year. He apparently turns it over a lot. I’m trying to keep an open mind, but it will be interesting to see he goes now he’s ours - you follow them a lot more closely when they’re yours!

Son of a Wizard

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Fremantle
We’ve added 8 new players in the offseason. 6 of which can slot in straight away and the other two could definitely contribute too. Going to be some awesome competition for spots and interesting match committee meetings. I’m bullish on 2019/2020.

Isn’t it 10?

JBMAN

Team Captain
Aug 8, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Word of caution. I know several Tiges fans and Conca was their universal scape goat last year. He apparently turns it over a lot. I’m trying to keep an open mind, but it will be interesting to see he goes now he’s ours - you follow them a lot more closely when they’re yours!

He played almost all the games this year in a top side, can't be too bad.

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
Optimism...

unnamed-1.gif

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Are you? Perhaps they made their teammates better collectively? Teams don't carry players in their golden years.

Right through footballing history there is a litany of average players who have played in good teams, won premierships and even won individual honours.

Conca was in the B22 of the 2018 minor premiers, so he gets a game for us. It’s just that I’m not greatly confident that he’ll be a top 5 player based on feedback I’ve had from Richmond fans - I am hoping that Hogan will deliver that.

Back