Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too and I’d like to see Garlett get a run as well ...
Considering Polson and LOB were used as proxy players under Bolton and LOB has shined under Teauge I'd also be keen to see if Polson can do something. It's exciting, a fresh start. I'm happy to erase a lot of lines I had drawn across names until I see them under Teauge's play to your strengths, instinct style of football.

We need small crumbing forwards, Papley is more of a part time forward/midfielder now. In fact we have a Papley like player in Gibbons already.

I don't think he's going to want to come here and be left in the forward line for the majority of the game.

We desperately need small forwards who have a bit of x factor and can play a whole game crumbing the opportunities our tall forwards provide.
He’s playing the vast majority forward. Have a look at his heat map for the season compared to their actual midfielders.

More coaches votes for Walsh this week.

If Walsh didn't come into this year as being the player expected to win the RS award (who cares, I know) opposition supporters would be raving about him.

I don't think Sam is all too concerned. probably working his arse off right now, to ensure he performs to his standards this coming week.

Fasolo's VFL numbers are nice, they read like a half-forward cum midfielder more than a small forward though.

Be interesting to see if he could deliver a similiar sort of performance on the big stage.

Not sure who makes way right now though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need small crumbing forwards, Papley is more of a part time forward/midfielder now. In fact we have a Papley like player in Gibbons already.

Oh come on man.

He's a small forward who has shown himself to be effective up the ground, and more than capable in the centre in bursts.

But he remains a small forward first and foremost.

Cripps spends time up in the forward line also - are you going to suggest he's something other than a midfielder?

And as for Gibbons. Yeah...we're not passing up the opportunity to bring in Papley because we have Gibbons. That's just crazy.

I don't think he's going to want to come here and be left in the forward line for the majority of the game.

How many small forwards play exclusively as small forwards these days? I can't think of many.

Papley won't be locked into the forward 50 in 2020 wherever he chooses to play.

We desperately need small forwards who have a bit of x factor and can play a whole game crumbing the opportunities our tall forwards provide.

We need quality footballers forward of centre under 190cm.

And in Papley you'd be getting one of the more dangerous players in the game under 180cm.

He'd be a fantastic addition should we be lucky enough to get him.

I find your reluctance a bit odd given your bolded statement.

And that's fine. I just don't agree with the idea of investing heavily in youth only to trade it out when it starts to come good.

I think that's poor list management unless we're talking about bringing in a superstar (ie. giving up Kennedy to get Judd).

I'm very keen on Papley but I want to bring him in to complement the youth we've developed. Not to replace it.

I'm giving Adelaide's first well before I'm putting up Cuningham. And I think that'd appeal more to Sydney anyway.

Great. He can finish off his career across half forward.

Very lively, brings tackle pressure, pace and creativeness.

You only have to look at that underground handball he gave to Kennedy on the weekend to see that he'd make us a much more dangerous attack.

Daisy keeps getting better with age. Next year could be his last but if his form holds up, I wouldn't be moving him on anytime soon.

You only have to look at that underground handball he gave to Kennedy on the weekend to see that he'd make us a much more dangerous attack.

Daisy keeps getting better with age. Next year could be his last but if his form holds up, I wouldn't be moving him on anytime soon.
Be good to see him down forward in a few games, very clever player who can create something outta nothing...

Can't trade Cuners. He will be a gun next year for 6 games. The other 16 he is managed for soreness we will really miss him.

Seriously though. The kid could be anything. Just needs to get his body right.

So *en frustrating because it's not like he has had some chronic injury like Willo. He just gets these niggles that last weeks.

If Russel gets him right for most of the year he really adds something to the team that we desperately need.

Last edited:

Just a smart footballer who always gives his all in every contest ... not many with the creativity to give off that handball ... only other would be Murph ... these guys are invaluable at the present time ...

Loving Daisy at moment great year did you see the sprint after kicking out to provide an option great stuff. Would be reasonably high in b&f i reckon kudos to the man

I rate both highly, particularly Houston, but both are very happy at Port Adelaide and won’t be coming home soon.
Going off my ratings at the time, we could have had Moore and Houston, though I wasn't really made aware of Papley. Just imagine.

Instead, we wound up with Glass-McCasker and Gallucci.

Dan did some research in the Gaelic Football stocks for players that could be relevant to us. Check out Ryan O'Donoghue

Forget AFL: if he has decent round ball skills he'll wind up in the EPL.

From what I understand it was Bolton that wanted McGovern, but I can't recall where this came from and I may be wrong.

Yours is a good point though.

IIRC sos has been after MM for a few years- i think it was part of the Gibbs initial negotiation that fell through. Also DT is a huge fan - was a fan at the crows and clearly is a fan now. I would be astounded if Bolts was the one having to push the barrow on getting Mitch

Totally disagree. I’m in the minority but I love the McGovern trade.

If you see my posting history I’m all about players that would rather die than lose.. so my stance on Mitch seems contradictory...

But what I can see with him is extreme competitiveness in games and with opponents. He’s always blocking, pushing, scragging

He’s a footballer first, athlete second, training lover tenth...

This year his body hasn’t been able to do what he needs, but I’m very confident he makes our forward line scary..

I also think of the 1-2 ‘enigmatic’ players you can carry in a team. A super dangerous third tall who can mark like very few and kick em from anywhere is one I’m comfortable with. A midfielder, not so much..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. Mitch is a very hard match up for any defender. He has a Huge leap, has excellent balance, a vice like grip, and can float across the front of pack a bit like swan mcKay. Once he has the ball he is deceptively fast and is an excellent shot for goal. He can also tackle very effectively. All this in a package that represents our third tall!

Do we now really need to seek players in that 22- 26 age range and does this age range have to be a prerequisite?

Some key targets will naturally fall into this age range, but beyond the premium targets, do we really need players with experience for the sake of it?
Every chance Murphy & Thomas go on another year and if Simpson does retire, we have Docherty slotting straight back in.
We've also acquired Gibbons and DeLuca outside the normal drafting/recruiting courses.

All our players will obviously be another year older (obviously) with key players likely having added another 20 odd games added to their resume and then we have one long and intensive off-season for Russell to do what he does.

I don't mind using our key draft selections for targeted players, but now don't mind us dipping into the draft/s or some raw talent, also.
We're a pretty mature young group and can handle some more youth, should the right youth be available.

At this stage we've already lost one player off the main list (Pickett) and when the season closes, we may only move on another 3-4 players and leave some hanging until we know exactly what we're doing with our list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back