Competitions 2019 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I get it every year but i dont sign up my mate gets it and i get him the Richmond membership

That's how I became a Dogs member for quite a few years and my mate a Carlton member.

Good deal to seesome good footy

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
FYI from a strategy perspective I’m going ‘best available’ at Swans. They are not deep in any position so it’s a moot point as to whether they have needs. I DID do some research. s**t I even visited their draft and trading thread.....but nothing was standing out anyway.

I’ve now watched about 14/15 full games including U18 champs and nab league games. I am very frustrated at the lack of vision available outside the champs for WA kids and feel at a disadvantage there.

But given the limitations I intend to do a great job for Sydney and I will clearly ‘win’ this draft. Cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a more serious note - no pick trading.

Whilst I’d love to do it, we’d need a multi year commitment from posters.

Which is impossible given it’s hard enough to get a commitment over a couple of weeks...

Edit: Sorry for the delay. My partner was effected by this fire today right near her work and I couldn't access BigFooty. She wasn't hurt or injured but I needed to be with her. We only just arrived home a short time ago.

Pick 1: Matthew Rowell

Height: 178cm | Weight: 75kg

Junior team: Oakleigh Chargers

"Rowell is the standout prospect in this year's draft and is all but signed, sealed and delivered to the Gold Coast with Pick 1."
THE most talked about prospect in this year’s AFL Draft, there is not too much you can say about Matt Rowell that has not already been said. Similar to Sam Walsh last year, even picking out areas of improvement is a pedantic and arduous task. Rowell genuinely has no clear deficiency that impacts his game, with the two areas he could improve being scoreboard impact and versatility. His list of strengths however could go on and on with his consistency unbelievable and enviable of any other player, while his disposal, contested work, clearances and tackling is all up high in his repertoire as a player. Whilst finding his improvements might be difficult, his draft range of pick one is the easiest of any player, and Gold Coast SUNS have a real player on their hands here.

Pick 2: Noah Anderson

Height: 190cm | Weight: 87kg

Junior team: Oakleigh Chargers

A PLAYER long-touted as a top-end prospect, Noah Anderson returned a stellar season in 2019 and looks poised to end the year as a top-two draft pick. Along with good mate Matt Rowell, Anderson was a prime mover in the Carey Grammar, Oakleigh Chargers, and Vic Metro midfields, averaging around 25 disposals across the NAB League and national carnival. On top of his consistency, the Metro skipper has an unrivalled scoreboard impact when compared to fellow midfielders in this year’s crop, while also providing the size and x-factor that club recruiters love. Those kinds of traits allow him to completely dominate at times, with Anderson the kind of player to have the fabled 30 disposals and three goals every other week. A player for the big moments too, Anderson is the complete package and should slot straight in at the next level.

Personal Thoughts: I'm biased on Anderson (he's my second cousin's son, does that make him a second cousin or a third cousin?!). If the overwhelming consensus wasn't Rowell and then Noah I'd have drafted Noah first. No funny business with me here. These two are the overwhelming top two picks in the draft and I don't think the Suns will look elsewhere either.

Why Noah over Rowell? Size and scoreboard impact. Those 187-190+ midfielders who impact the scoreboard are where the game is continually headed. We're looking at Fyfe, Dusty, Danger, Bonts, Cripps (who at his best is a scoreboard impacting beast like in the Brisbane game). These guys don't necessarily have to have the 30+ possession games the littler blokes need to just completely take a game from the opposition. Most of the time they're also too big to be effectively tagged out of a game. Give them a sniff and they take it.

Rowell will dominate the possessions and be a very worthy top selection. When fully developed he'll make the top of the possessions counts routinely and be a regular Brownlow chance. His impact on the game will not be understated but I don't think it will overwhelm teams like Noah can if he hits his stride.

The red flag of returning home has been limited with the priority pick. I don't think either is one hundred percent happy with having to go to the Gold Coast but I know they're both excited to begin their AFL careers together. Both lads are highly professional too so the Suns are onto a good thing.

Last edited:
May 29, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Pick 4 - Adelaide - Dylan Stephens

Would've picked Young as a clear best available but he was gone unfortunately. Very close call between Stephens and another running machine and long kicker who I won't name but Stephens being based in SA the last few years gets him over the line. Stephens is the next Jared Polec, who has been one of the best and probably the most entertaining wingmen in the game over the last two years. Like Polec Stephens can leave his opponent eating dust either by turning them inside out with his agility or using his breakaway speed and also like Polec his specialty is a beautiful goal off the left from long range.
Will play wing/high HF at AFL level and at Adelaide he'd be getting an armchair ride with guys like Sloane and the Crouches feeding it out to him.
A country boy too so probably experienced in camping, hunting and fishing which will come in handy next time the crows want to torture, isolate and bully their players in an off-season camping trip.
windows1

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Pick 4 - Adelaide - Dylan Stephens

Would've picked Young as a clear best available but he was gone unfortunately. Very close call between Stephens and another running machine and long kicker who I won't name but Stephens being based in SA the last few years gets him over the line. Stephens is the next Jared Polec, who has been one of the best and probably the most entertaining wingmen in the game over the last two years. Like Polec Stephens can leave his opponent eating dust either by turning them inside out with his agility or using his breakaway speed and also like Polec his specialty is a beautiful goal off the left from long range.
Will play wing/high HF at AFL level and at Adelaide he'd be getting an armchair ride with guys like Sloane and the Crouches feeding it out to him.
A country boy too so probably experienced in camping, hunting and fishing which will come in handy next time the crows want to torture, isolate and bully their players in an off-season camping trip.
windows1

Spot on with the comparison to Polec

I fear he could suffer a similar fate, as both players have a poor short kicking link-up game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back