2019 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

I went this morning also. Unusually, the players came out over half an hour late. It could have been because a large contingent of parents were there, or the presence of umpires talking about new rules. Or something else.
Almost all the players wore their numbers on their shirts today, apparently they have been wearing them all week. Made spotting players easier.
Hogan wore a purple singlet, so it was pretty obvious he wouldn’t be involved in match sims. Even so, he did all the warm ups with the main group, before heading off to running duties. Other players restricted to running were Mundy, Valente, Sturt, Kersten and Walters. Sandilands only made a brief appearance before heading back inside, while Stephen Hill walked around the oval again and again.
It’s quite hard to work out what individual plans the players are on. A small group of younger players didn’t participate in the warming up exercises, but each played in the match sims. Meanwhile Bennell took part in warm ups and drills, but then changed his footy boots to runners and I didn’t get to see him play this week.
Lyon hobbled down for the match sims. These started off as half ground match ups between two colours while a third looked on. Later there was a full ground match in two 10-15 minute halves. The ruck duels were between Meek and Darcy (I’ve just realised I don’t remember seeing Jones), with neither being dominant. Some players were a bit fumbly, but I was impressed with how fast Colyer moved to pick up the loose ball in traffic and deliver it to another player.
My most impressive players were Brad Hill, Lobb and Switkowski. They were all faster than their opponents and delivered the ball well. Hill’s kicking in particular was very good.

At the end of the games, the coaches got one team to take their positions from a kick out, without any opposition players on the field. The kick out was taken and the players acted as if there was an opponent on the field as they moved the ball quickly. No pressure football!
I was surprised that none of the drills I saw involved a kicker playing on from the kick out.

I saw no sign of new injuries, so it was another good session. Bloody hot on the way home though.

I can’t believe there has been two pages of discussion that stemmed from a throw away comment of mine which was “a bit of realism is good”. It was never meant to be a sly dig at any other training reports. I love the positive reports. Some people are scarred from old bickering. I don’t even remember the positive negative debate before. But obviously it’s been hashed.
At the end of the day every person writing a report has given up their time to do so. Im not sure how they're not free to make a judgement whether its worth their while or not to continue to do so. The reason some people have quit writing reports is simply because they make a decision to not donate their time anymore. Nothing to do with being sensitive like has been posted. Im pretty sure anyone who's donated their time to anywhere is free to make the same judgment.

As someone who is down at Cockburn arc regularly and watches training more often than not the reason I know I stopped giving reports was people on facebook stealing the reports word for word and claiming it as their own then being a b**ch when called out on it.

In saying that the guys were very vocal this morning, everyone seems in really good spirits out there.

You are such a tease. Come on Cameron_K, you know you want to.

That was so nearly a training report :) .

So, from what you have seen purely at training, do you think Ballas should hold his spot for Round 1?

If we had a squad of entirely teenagers we could reasonably assume the difference between our best and worst wouldn't be as much but the discussion was brought up because our skills as a squad on the track, with our full squad, weren't as good as they will be on game day, with only our best playing.

It's not a rogue concept.

It's not a concept at all

No AFL clubs just have teenagers and even then they would have varying abilities.

I went this morning also. Unusually, the players came out over half an hour late. It could have been because a large contingent of parents were there, or the presence of umpires talking about new rules. Or something else.
Almost all the players wore their numbers on their shirts today, apparently they have been wearing them all week. Made spotting players easier.
Hogan wore a purple singlet, so it was pretty obvious he wouldn’t be involved in match sims. Even so, he did all the warm ups with the main group, before heading off to running duties. Other players restricted to running were Mundy, Valente, Sturt, Kersten and Walters. Sandilands only made a brief appearance before heading back inside, while Stephen Hill walked around the oval again and again.
It’s quite hard to work out what individual plans the players are on. A small group of younger players didn’t participate in the warming up exercises, but each played in the match sims. Meanwhile Bennell took part in warm ups and drills, but then changed his footy boots to runners and I didn’t get to see him play this week.
Lyon hobbled down for the match sims. These started off as half ground match ups between two colours while a third looked on. Later there was a full ground match in two 10-15 minute halves. The ruck duels were between Meek and Darcy (I’ve just realised I don’t remember seeing Jones), with neither being dominant. Some players were a bit fumbly, but I was impressed with how fast Colyer moved to pick up the loose ball in traffic and deliver it to another player.
My most impressive players were Brad Hill, Lobb and Switkowski. They were all faster than their opponents and delivered the ball well. Hill’s kicking in particular was very good.

At the end of the games, the coaches got one team to take their positions from a kick out, without any opposition players on the field. The kick out was taken and the players acted as if there was an opponent on the field as they moved the ball quickly. No pressure football!
I was surprised that none of the drills I saw involved a kicker playing on from the kick out.

I saw no sign of new injuries, so it was another good session. Bloody hot on the way home though.
Love your posts mate and some of your observations here show your a real student of the game. Thank you.

There isn't one AFL squad where your best player is the same than your worse. So therefore a flat talent curve doesn't exist

Some lists are more extreme than others. So you can measure lists like this.

For example Sydney in the past have run out with 6 or so A graders and not much else.

Going into this season if you take out Fyfe we are very flat relative to other teams. We have lots of B grade/C grade talent with lots of potential and of course Hogan and Walters are A graders if they can stay fit.

A totally flat curve would never happen, but a relatively flat curve is attainable. Then Clarkson’s mantra of replacing a wounded soldier with another soldier can actually work. I think our depth seems much improved, which would suggest a certain flatness compared to other years.

For example, Watson, as a 2018 rookie pick would be expected to be worst tall defender. While he got beaten in yesterday’s umpired match sim, he showed enough with his movement and kicking to suggest that he can step up to a degree if disaster strikes repeatedly and we lose two of Pearce, Hamling, and Logue (and probably Cox and Duman). The curve drops off, but by less than you would expect.

At the good end of the curve, we are probably more even than we’d like, as the talent isn’t quite there yet. Who stands out to replace Neale as a prolific inside midfielder?

There are two players (Fyfe and Sandilands) who stand out well above the curve, and are not adequately replaceable at this stage of our development. It also explains why S. Mitchell, Cotchin and Naitanui deliberately targeted one to cause injury.

By virtue of the fact that we've turned over our list so heavily in the last few years, we have a lot of guys with the potential to be A grade or B+.

Cerra looks like a future A grader. Ryan, Logue, Cox, Darcy, Blakely, Pearce, Hamling, Brayshaw and Langdon still have upside that could see them reach AA quality.

Sturt, Valente, Bewley, Watson etc are relatively unknown qualities but if a couple of them make the transition to being B graders our list will be pretty strong.

By virtue of the fact that we've turned over our list so heavily in the last few years, we have a lot of guys with the potential to be A grade or B+.

Cerra looks like a future A grader. Ryan, Logue, Cox, Darcy, Blakely, Pearce, Hamling, Brayshaw and Langdon still have upside that could see them reach AA quality.

Sturt, Valente, Bewley, Watson etc are relatively unknown qualities but if a couple of them make the transition to being B graders our list will be pretty strong.

Our future looks bright

Jesus Christ.

Training reports are overwhelmingly recieved positively, just look at the amount of likes the posts get. If they get one or two negative comments / questions, who cares?

If you are that sensitive when posting a training report maybe the internet isn't for you.

Every poster on BF loves a training report, for those of us based in the East they are better than anything the clubs put out.

One or two negative comments (or even questions) don't outweigh the 70+ likes a training report gets.

Last year sucked when training reports stopped but if people don't want their information questioned maybe we need a locked thread the mods can edit with training reports.
I’m not saying that because it is sensitive. Just the fact that it’s a whole different ball game during pre season is all. Everyone’s on 0 points. Players look fit and healthy, but when it comes to the season, they often don’t cope with the style of football. Running and gym work out is all well and good, just athletes don’t make footballers. In point, Tommy Sheridan dominated time trials but we know how that was translated to the footy field. The confidence is high. No one does really bad. It’s the progression from athlete to footballer that isn’t evident until round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How’s the Talking Dockers pod during the season? I’ve never listened. Anyone recommend other Dockers podcasts for us fans not in Aus?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Purple Reign podcast is not bad. The guys are quite funny and don’t take their analysis too seriously which can be a good and bad thing depending on what you’re after.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back