Prediction 2019 Rising Star winner discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

If Stack keeps putting in efforts like today's he may overtake Walsh.

Walshy just had 8 touches and 5 tackles in the first quarter and looks fairly comfortably in the number one mid role. Stack will need a few like that to catch up.

Perfect game for him though. He’s a Richmond player I can genuinely say I enjoy watching, which is rare.

Walsh continues to rack it up. Disposal was iffy but a great effort today.

A slight understatement.

He went at 33% overall which doesn’t bode well for his DE by foot.

Walsh should not be in the lead. His kicking has been terrible all year.

Stack should comfortably be leading right now after that 4 goal game. It's his to lose.

It will be interesting to follow the form of the leading contenders and who finishes the season strongest will go a long way to decide who wins although I feel they will all have strong careers
At this stage I feel Walsh, Stack and either Rozee or Duursma will have claims for top 3 and then Clark (Cats) and the lizard have shown plenty this year
Edit Smith at the Dogs could be top 3 with a strong finish to the year

Last edited:
Josh Battle a very dark horse. Has been consistently solid down back for the Saints, after playing his junior career and first two seasons at AFL level as a forward.
For what its worth the AFL player ratings have them ranked as follows. Would love for Zurhaar to smash out the rest of the season and get up, backed him only 2 weeks ago at $67.

Zurhaar, Myers, Rozee, Stack, Battle

Wonder when the selectors are going to stop completely ignoring Josh Battle?
Battle has had a great year playing as a key defender despite having to play in what has been a decimated backline.
11 marks and 20 touches at 90% today. 5 tackles too while playing as a KPD
Last week was 8 marks, 16 disposals and 7 tackles

Overall among rising stars he is:
1st for marks & rebound 50s
2nd for intercepts & kicks & effective disposals

Not in any way saying he is going to win it. But would have thought he could at least crack a nomination ...

Last edited:
Let's be honest, if Walsh doesn't win the award has lost all credibility.

Actually, it probably already has after Hogan beat Cripps
Just because Walsh racks up possessions doesn't mea he's the best first year player.A lot of good judges have Rozee, Stack and Bailey Smith on a par or better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah a guy who held down CHF and kicked 44 goals with 50+ contested marks in his debut year winning the Rising Star was definitely the moment the award lost all credibility.

Cripps was great that year but mids who can come in and look good from the get-go are a dime and dozen. KPF's who come in and look that good from the get-go are as rare as hen's teeth. The last time a teenage KPF kicked more goals than Hogan in their debut season was 1990.

Thanks for providing the rest of us with your insights.
Never stop giving us the evidence.
He gave you the reasons why he thinks how he thinks and all you come back with is given us evidence of your anti Carlton thoughts you think he has. You Carlton people never change, the hint of your side winning anything other than a spoon and that being talked about being taken off you and won by some other clubs players and you all lose your minds.

Awww it's a crap award anyway that has players winning when they shouldn't so dont cry if he does not, its not the end of the world and things work out better in the end (cough Bont)

1. Stack
2. Walsh
3. Rozee
4. Duursma
5. Smith

Honestly, Walsh gets top 3 on pure workrate and numbers but does not deserve to win.

He had a game high clanger count and game low disposal efficiency. He will turn out to be another Treloar at this rate.

Go check how Pies fans rated Treloar's 40 touches on Saturday night.

1. Stack
2. Walsh
3. Rozee
4. Duursma
5. Smith

Honestly, Walsh gets top 3 on pure workrate and numbers but does not deserve to win.

He had a game high clanger count and game low disposal efficiency. He will turn out to be another Treloar at this rate.

Go check how Pies fans rated Treloar's 40 touches on Saturday night.
Stop just looking at the stats. His defensive work, two way running and his impact at contests with little touches and body work was absolutely enormous for us yesterday.

And if you do want to obsess over stats then appreciate that the numbers he is racking up at the moment are unprecedented. The kid is an absolute jet and deserves to be outright favourite.

To be honest though I cannot see him winning the award as the AFL love an underdog story so Stack will get it.

Walshy just had 8 touches and 5 tackles in the first quarter and looks fairly comfortably in the number one mid role. Stack will need a few like that to catch up.

Perfect game for him though. He’s a Richmond player I can genuinely say I enjoy watching, which is rare.
Not that Walsh isn't going to be a good player and he will probably win, but you can't use midfield possession stats when comparing players who are in different positions.

Not that Walsh isn't going to be a good player and he will probably win, but you can't use midfield possession stats when comparing players who are in different positions.

If any other first year draftee had 30 touches this thread would shut down, especially without a player like Cripps helping him. To average 25 a game in a shocking side is absurd.

I think everyone is getting caught up on Stack’s story and where he has come from, and the perceived ceilings of each contender. Shouldn’t be a factor in the Rising Star award.

If any other first year draftee had 30 touches this thread would shut down, especially without a player like Cripps helping him. To average 25 a game in a shocking side is absurd.

I think everyone is getting caught up on Stack’s story and where he has come from, and the perceived ceilings of each contender. Shouldn’t be a factor in the Rising Star award.

Going into next week, do you think GCS are putting more thought into how to stop Stack or that Melbourne are putting more thought into how to stop Walsh? I still think Walsh would be a deserving winning but he does seem to be a bit less "damaging" than a few of the others in the list.

Nothing to do with his story or his ceiling, it's what he's already doing at 19 that stands out. Takes screamers, kicks long goals, dashes through traffic, lays hard tackles and crashes opposition captains to the deck - all executed with the cleanness of a Dal Santo.

I won't begrudge Walsh if he wins. Content to see Stack carve out a notable career at Richmond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back