2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if we have a trade hypothetical thread? But here is my go to get us into the top 10 of this years draft

Pick 9 and Pick 33 >> Brisbane (lose Picks 16 and 21)

Joe Daniher and pick 16 >> Sydney (lose picks 5 and Tom Papley)

Pick 5 and 21 >> Essendon (lose Joe Daniher and Pick 33)

Tom Papley >> Carlton (lose pick 9)

We then trade Pick 34 to GCS for Ah Chee. and go to the draft with picks 9,33,46 and 55

Neither is 99% of the comp. Doesn't mean he can't play a role in the midfield or wing if he works on his endurance.
Been on our list for 3 seasons and his endurance has not improved all that much IMO, he has a hell of a lot of work to do if he is to play any meaningful minutes as a quality AFL level outside mid/winger.

With Witho.. Still not sold he is a lock in back 6. Defensivly gets caught out if you compare him to Rich or Hodge or Dizzy.
I know people say disposal %, look at footywire most of our back 6 up around 80%
Hodge 84, Walker 83, Rich/Andrews 81, Witho/Answerth 79, Dizzy 77.. Only Adams 70% the odd man out.
1% and intercepts lower then the rest of back 6
Rebound 50's where he is high.. With Rich and Hodge
So maybe we use him elsewhere.. Birchall in and Cox/Starc or Lester?

We have more than enough available list spots at the moment, so that isn't an issue. Cutler wants to go home and play more which is fair enough, but if he'd stayed I don't think Birchall really affects him.
Who have we delisted or retired? As far as I am aware Hodge has retired and bastinac was rookie listed ....and have brought in two senior listed players so by my calculations someone has to make way

I didn’t say gifting games. Starch has already played and **** has said a few times he is rated highly. Cox was bought in round 23 against the tiges at the G on the back of good form. Berry and Wooler have both been knocking the door down. On the form these guys demonstrated this year it’s not gifting games.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Then they shouldn't have too many troubles making the best 22 next year. If they've earned it Birchall shouldn't be standing in their way, same as guys like Bastinac finishing up in the seconds.

Who have we delisted or retired? As far as I am aware Hodge has retired and bastinac was rookie listed ....and have brought in two senior listed players so by my calculations someone has to make way

We have a lot of players out of contract, its easy enough to delist some next week, and at least a couple will go out to other clubs. Bastinac was moved onto the rookie list last year and is now OOC and definitely gone (sorry BRAB).

Still don't get the Birchall thing at all. Feels like a 2016 signing.

Hope I'm wrong

My best guess is that we were interested in better half backs but none were available this year, hence grabbing Birchall as a stop gap or at worst depth for a year before trying again to land a quality player. But yeah its a very meh signing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, Noble said Taylor has interest from Sydney and Essendon had shown some interest in Cuttler he has also said that those guys and Christensen would be after the draft...Other reports I've heard that Robertson had interest from Freo and GWS
there were reports that Basti would play WAFL ...I dunno.. but unless we trade a contracted player I'd expect we would lose another 2 from the list below

Players out of contract - So Birchall just replace one of these for now (Hodge). More changes to come of course. List courtsy of Footywire.

NameYears ServiceStatus
5​
Non-Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
6​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​
6​
Non-Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
9​
Restricted Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
6 Non-Free Agent

Fages knows Birch very well and we have the best medicos in the league. I was a no for Birch, but with this knowledge, I support the decision, as the club would know best. Also seems like a pretty fun character, yet very professional when he needs to be. Welcome to the pride Grant and I hope that you can add another premiership medal to your cabinet.

I'm quickly warming to and changing my opinion re Grant Birchall, if we can get 1-2-3 years out of him fit and firing he will be a fantastic acquisition.

I keep forgetting we are in our flag window now and not all in on rebuild mode any longer, he is only 1 list spot and IMO he would not be on a lot of dollars, so these sort of trade/FA ins are a great option considering the position we are at as a list.
1570687249174.png

I'm quickly warming to and changing my opinion re Grant Birchall, if we can get 1-2-3 years out of him fit and firing he will be a fantastic acquisition.

I keep forgetting we are in our flag window now and not all in on rebuild mode any longer, he is only 1 list spot and IMO he would not be on a lot of dollars, so these sort of trade/FA ins are a great option considering the position we are at as a list.
View attachment 762107

Lol I was just thinking the same Jmp. I need to remove my supporter rebuild chip from my brain. It’s implanted in there after all these years.

Maybe Dodongo knows someone who could perform the surgery.

Players out of contract - So Birchall just replace one of these for now (Hodge). More changes to come of course. List courtsy of Footywire.

NameYears ServiceStatus
5​
Non-Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
6​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​
6​
Non-Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
9​
Restricted Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
6 Non-Free Agent

This is probably just my Brisbane bias, but I see the large majority of those players being picked up by other clubs for the different qualities they possess. Don’t think that too many players from that list will not be playing for an AFL club next year. Again, I’m sure I have my lions goggles on though

We have a lot of players out of contract, its easy enough to delist some next week, and at least a couple will go out to other clubs. Bastinac was moved onto the rookie list last year and is now OOC and definitely gone (sorry BRAB).
Yep and that's what I was referring to...... He was suggesting a spot on the list and not necessarily say Cutler plays halfback....Cutler is one of those players that doesn't have a contract and maybe replaced on the list by birchy

Yep, Noble said Taylor has interest from Sydney and Essendon had shown some interest in Cuttler he has also said that those guys and Christensen would be after the draft...Other reports I've heard that Robertson had interest from Freo and GWS
there were reports that Basti would play WAFL ...I dunno.. but unless we trade a contracted player I'd expect we would lose another 2 from the list below
Yeah thanks Footy Pope...... I was just saying to Tom14 that Cutler may evidently be one of those players that makes way for birchy

Birchall is a great offensive backman. Whilst he replaces Hodge, Hodge was a different type of defender. He brings more experience and a different skill set for our young guys to learn from. I love the idea of having Witho and Bailey learning from the likes of Birchall. At his best, he is a guy that could make a big difference in finals if we get him on the park. Great pick up for a year or 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back