2019 Trade thread

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was half tongue in cheek because it's not happening although Buddy is 33 before the start of next season, even the greats can fall off the cliff quickly at that age.

The Swans can have him and his big fat contract.
33 banged up and has more strikes than Babe Ruth.

Worst selection ever for our culture.

I think we're going to get at least one gun out of Wooller ,Fullarton and Ballenden

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
33 banged up and has more strikes than Babe Ruth.

Worst selection ever for our culture.

I think we're going to get at least one gun out of Wooller ,Fullarton and Ballenden
Agree with you, while obviously every young guy on our list isn't going to be a 200 game player I'm confident we'll get a good few out of the 3 you mentioned plus the likes of T.Berry, E.Smith, Answerth, Bailey, McFadyen, Starcevich, Payne, Joyce.

That’s pretty silly. If you can get Buddy at a team friendly contract you’d get Buddy. Not only is he amazing but he puts bums in seats.

I don’t think that’s silly at all. Because I am right there with. IMO it would be a bad move to get Buddy!
He is basically done anyway!

ImAFreeMan

All Australian
Aug 29, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought Darcy Parish was pretty good again today, still OOC this year.

I was at the game, his contested footy is good, a very good link up player.

Although prone to rushing and not thinking through his actions, just needs half a second extra and could be a very accomplished player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at the game, his contested footy is good, a very good link up player.

Although prone to rushing and not thinking through his actions, just needs half a second extra and could be a very accomplished player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s is what makes the difference between him and say a McCluggage.
The time and space that the best can create out of nothing. It’s not something you can teach. A pure football brain.
But I would still love to have Parish on our list.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just wondering why we haven't seen Will Martin in the NEAFL this season? or have we? liked his work last season n thought a definitive draft chance.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He’s been playing in the academy series and will be (or already has been?) selected for the allies.

Won’t see him in the NEAFL until later in the year.
Thanks Tom...do you know how he is travelling there?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Thanks Tom...do you know how he is travelling there?
Racking up high disposal numbers in a very underwhelming Lions academy team.

081BEBA4-FEA7-4A67-BC35-677443982D20.png

Lions Lions

All Australian
Sep 23, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Will Lewy Taylor be around 2020?? Where could he go annd what could we get for him??

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I worry we have too many key defenders and not enough key forwards. I really don't like the look of McStay up forward but I don't see a place for him down back either when Harris has one position locked down, Walker and Gardiner can cover the others and Payne and Skinner deserve a real opportunity. Plus there's still Adams to come back. And so I think McStay might be an option to trade out.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I worry we have too many key defenders and not enough key forwards. I really don't like the look of McStay up forward but I don't see a place for him down back either when Harris has one position locked down, Walker and Gardiner can cover the others and Payne and Skinner deserve a real opportunity. Plus there's still Adams to come back. And so I think McStay might be an option to trade out.
So you wory we don't have enough key forwards, then you decide you want to trade out McStay?

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So you wory we don't have enough key forwards, then you decide you want to trade out McStay?

I don't believe he's a real key forward, he has some truly awful goalkicking. I think he'd be better off as a key defender, but there's no real place for him here in defence. I'd rather give Wooller or Ballenden a chance at key forward.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't believe he's a real key forward, he has some truly awful goalkicking. I think he'd be better off as a key defender, but there's no real place for him here in defence. I'd rather give Wooller or Ballenden a chance at key forward.
McStay kicked two really important goals under pressure against the Swans - 2 from 2 shots if I remember...

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I see, and one game means he's perfect for the position? He has had several games of poor kicking across the last two seasons. I don't think he's the answer for us.
We have two young KPF's in the reserves in Wooller and Fullarton. Plus Ballenden who can play KPD, KPF and relieve in the Ruck, though I do wonder if Ballenden has the aggression needed to be a top shelf KPP.

Unless there's a trade in the offering, we'd have to draft in another KPF.

Now, I don't disagree with you. I've had similar discussions, where I've questioned McStay as well, and mentioned we might need another KPP in the draft.

I know McStay is playing a role, and others have explained it in great detail, particularly TheBrownDog, and referenced Fagan talking about the forward structure and game plan and McStay's role in the game plan. But still, I'd like to see some, leading in to space, contested marking and better goal kicking from McStay (and Hipwood for that matter).

I wouldn't be against drafting another KPF or Ruck if there was one available at one of our picks this draft.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I see, and one game means he's perfect for the position? He has had several games of poor kicking across the last two seasons. I don't think he's the answer for us.

What makes you think Wooller and Ballenden will be any different from McStay, Close, Freeman, Hammelman, Michael, Cornelius, Pask, etc. who have all done well at NEAFL level but not excelled at AFL level?

Wooller has got a fair bit of it but in a dominant team you'd want more from someone before they get promoted.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What makes you think Wooller and Ballenden will be any different from McStay, Close, Freeman, Hammelman, Michael, Cornelius, Pask, etc. who have all done well at NEAFL level but not excelled at AFL level?

Wooller has got a fair bit of it but in a dominant team you'd want more from someone before they get promoted.

I don't know enough to say. As you say most players showing something at NEAFL level don't work out, but some do. The point is if they're doing well, they should get the opportunity at some stage to show what they've got.

I'm not saying McStay is total rubbish, I'm just saying I don't think he's ever going to develop into more than just an average player, at least up forward. With that in mind, I don't see his place in the side as guaranteed. Certainly when Adams is back I'd like to see what he can do at CHF if Fages thinks he can play well forward, and I think Wooller also deserves a chance sooner rather than later given where McStay is at.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't know enough to say. As you say most players showing something at NEAFL level don't work out, but some do. The point is if they're doing well, they should get the opportunity at some stage to show what they've got.

I'm not saying McStay is total rubbish, I'm just saying I don't think he's ever going to develop into more than just an average player, at least up forward. With that in mind, I don't see his place in the side as guaranteed. Certainly when Adams is back I'd like to see what he can do at CHF if Fages thinks he can play well forward, and I think Wooller also deserves a chance sooner rather than later given where McStay is at.

That's fair and I agree but also don't think Wooller or Ballenden have shown anything to suggest they will and I wouldn't mess with the seniors form at this stage.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That's fair and I agree but also don't think Wooller or Ballenden have shown anything to suggest they will and I wouldn't mess with the seniors form at this stage.

Wooller has done decently. Out of those who perform well at the lower levels, I think it can be hard to tell who will really rise up at the top level, the only real proof is seeing them get a chance. You have rookies taking the league by storm every year. Look at Stephenson or Rozee, both obviously had talent since they were top 5 picks, but few expected them to adapt to the AFL so quickly. Not that this will definitely happen for Wooller or Ballenden or anyone, but I'd like to see one of them get a run.

Keeping continuity in the side is a fair point, but originally I was discussing a trade for McStay which would only happen at the end of the year.

Back