M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
What makes you think Wooller and Ballenden will be any different from McStay, Close, Freeman, Hammelman, Michael, Cornelius, Pask, etc. who have all done well at NEAFL level but not excelled at AFL level?

Wooller has got a fair bit of it but in a dominant team you'd want more from someone before they get promoted.
At first I thought who the hell is jackess talking about, took a while to figure out it was Sam Michael, I'd completely forgotten about him.

What makes you think Wooller and Ballenden will be any different from McStay, Close, Freeman, Hammelman, Michael, Cornelius, Pask, etc. who have all done well at NEAFL level but not excelled at AFL level?

Wooller has got a fair bit of it but in a dominant team you'd want more from someone before they get promoted.

A few things:

Wooller: can play as a midfielder, half forward flanker and marking third tall.

Ballenden: has shown he can play forward, back and ruck. Has elite field kicking and handballing ability.

Will they both Become good AFL footballers? The jury is still out. But it's not unreasonable to think they've got different points of difference to the ones you named (barring McStay which was a bad example as he's currently best 22 and we're sitting top four, unlike the others).

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I see, and one game means he's perfect for the position? He has had several games of poor kicking across the last two seasons. I don't think he's the answer for us.
I didn't say he was "perfect for the position" - I just pointed out a positive from the Swans game...what did you think of Charlie's kicking on Saturday night and the previous Sunday?

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I didn't say he was "perfect for the position" - I just pointed out a positive from the Swans game...what did you think of Charlie's kicking on Saturday night and the previous Sunday?

It hasn't been the best, but Charlie has kicked well before and offers a lot besides kicking for goal. Charlie has brought us back into games before. McStay isn't called McSpray for nothing, a good game here and there doesn't mean he will stay accurate.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Forward line is functioning fine - we are the third highest scorers. When we haven't scored its more been due to being smashed in the middle and having our ball movement from the back half shut down.

Obviously, I'd love to have a gun full-forward to make us even better but as those are very very hard to find I'd be loath to trade McStay with no sure replacement to provide his (albeit average) output. Ballenden has long been knocked for his competitiveness (seems to be improving in the NEAFL) and I don't know that Wooller could physically compete just yet.

I think people might be surprised at what we would lose with McStay out of the team in terms of minimising opposition intercept marking. He's no star, but you need role players and he does deliver that.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Forward line is functioning fine - we are the third highest scorers. When we haven't scored its more been due to being smashed in the middle and having our ball movement from the back half shut down.

Obviously, I'd love to have a gun full-forward to make us even better but as those are very very hard to find I'd be loath to trade McStay with no sure replacement to provide his (albeit average) output. Ballenden has long been knocked for his competitiveness (seems to be improving in the NEAFL) and I don't know that Wooller could physically compete just yet.

I think people might be surprised at what we would lose with McStay out of the team in terms of minimising opposition intercept marking. He's no star, but you need role players and he does deliver that.
Pahh! I remember when we were the highest and second highest scoring team in the competition.

At first I thought who the hell is jackess talking about, took a while to figure out it was Sam Michael, I'd completely forgotten about him.

How could you forget a superstar like him? Ended up at 2 clubs.

I was wondering the same thing then I realised that they were talking about DADS!

(and if I still have it wrong please read the chagrined emoticon about here)

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I still think we need to go for a fast lock down defender in the draft.
Multiply times this year had 4-7 goals kicked by a fast small-mid forward. Other teams get someone to try to keep Charlie in check
Gardiner not fast enough. Nor Lester,Rich or Hodge. Bailey and Witho more attacking then defender not sure with Answerth.
We have a few in the NEAFL Cox, Hinge and Allison. Not sure they defensive enough.
It is a bit like looking for a test batsman now everyone plays 20-20.
Gardiner be our best get in do the job with singles and lots of dot balls, although just not fast enough for a Mcdonald-Tipunwudti type.

Lions Lions

All Australian
Sep 23, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The meat that he is and all...he’s a person first and for most not meat for trade. Best to remember that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Are you serious... you are on every trade thread known to man commenting away. You must be mates with Lewy. Its same old Lewy for me. Inconsistent, not defensive enough, cant hit targets, turnover prone, does dumb stuff and so on. Somehow he beat bontempeli in a rising star award. So there must be some trade value there. Fagan and noble dont see him in best 22 and they are right. Only currently in the team thanks to some huge numbers in neafl. Had 7 touches on the wknd and gave nothing, he will be going back.

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL
Are you serious... you are on every trade thread known to man commenting away. You must be mates with Lewy. Its same old Lewy for me. Inconsistent, not defensive enough, cant hit targets, turnover prone, does dumb stuff and so on. Somehow he beat bontempeli in a rising star award. So there must be some trade value there. Fagan and noble dont see him in best 22 and they are right. Only currently in the team thanks to some huge numbers in neafl. Had 7 touches on the wknd and gave nothing, he will be going back.

You say Lewy isn’t defensive enough, in the past two games he’s been laying tackles, ramming into opposition players, adjusting his defensive positioning better than last year, what isn’t he doing defensively outside of intercept marks that you’d expect his type of player to do and did you bother to watch the past two games?

As for hitting targets, I’m pretty sure he got 100% on the weekend and got around 80% disposal efficiency the weekend before.

Next I’ll address the “dumb stuff”. Can you actually remember the “dumb stuff” or are you just finding any reason to use Lewy as a whipping boy? If you’re talking about his running in circles you’re a few years too late for that complaint.

As for consistency he averaged a goal a game last year, how many players did we have do that? Not many last year. Now let’s assume you ment the past two games, then yes you are right, but he didn’t spend that much time on the ground comparatively to other players against the Swans (I think he spent 63% of the match on ground).

Fages and Noble clearly do rate him somewhat as they didn’t ship him off last year or the year before where he was playing a lot worse football than he is now. He might not be able to break into the best 22, as many players can’t at the moment, but our team lineup is very different this season and that’s the actual reason why. We didn’t need a linkup player in the midfield and we didn’t need another small forward in the forward line, hence why he doesn’t get a spot. When we do need speed, like we needed against Collingwood, then he will get a call up like he already has.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
9898F1B8-A4A6-455A-AAA2-B4A0CF5996F2.jpeg

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I suggest you go back and have a second look!

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I wonder if Jarryd Lyons is good mates with Jack Martin?:D Would slot in nicely at the Gabba.

Not necessarily Jack Martin but I'm sure David Noble has got something up his sleeve that we'll be happy with re the 2019 trade period.

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wonder if Jarryd Lyons is good mates with Jack Martin?:D Would slot in nicely at the Gabba.

Not necessarily Jack Martin but I'm sure David Noble has got something up his sleeve that we'll be happy with re the 2019 trade period.

Almost don’t want to take Martin away from Gold Coast. I think we can rise without him and I’d really prefer that Gold Coast can also rise with us (but still below).

Full Wingspan

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is there value in Fagan and Hodge getting into Roughead's ear?

I haven't observed his form too closely, however Roughie may have something to offer in a coaching/leadership role (whether it be on-field or off-field).

These thoughts come after Clarko's comments in relation to Roughead having potentially played his last game for the club. While the statement may have been jovial in nature, there is an underlying sentiment that the end of Jordan 's career at the Hawks is within sight.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I haven't observed his form too closely, however Roughie may have something to offer in a coaching/leadership role (whether it be on-field or off-field).

These thoughts come after Clarko's comments in relation to Roughead having potentially played his last game for the club. While the statement may have been jovial in nature, there is an underlying sentiment that the end of Jordan 's career at the Hawks is within sight.

Maybe off-field. But big no thanks for him as a player.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Love Roughy but I'm with Tom14 , after this year our need for an older 30+ on field trade target leader is over.

Luke Hodge came along at the exact time he was needed, I can not think of anyone who was playing at the time of his recruitment that would have been a better fit for that role.

Time for our players to stand on their own 2 feet, I really really hope that Hodgey stays on as an assistant coach though.

Certainly not in a playing capacity!

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

After his finger waving with the Hawk forwards last weekend perhaps we could do with a fair dinkum forward to be a forward coach and find a new role for Adcock.........sounds good to me. Coach only........not a player. Also another lure for Cyril lol. Roughy could be the missing link we need and teach out forwards their craft......McStay would luv it I am sure. All the big forwards would appreciate it,

After his finger waving with the Hawk forwards last weekend perhaps we could do with a fair dinkum forward to be a forward coach and find a new role for Adcock.........sounds good to me. Coach only........not a player. Also another lure for Cyril lol. Roughy could be the missing link we need and teach out forwards their craft......McStay would luv it I am sure. All the big forwards would appreciate it,
I am not sure why, but I just don’t see him as a Coach!
I might very well be wrong, and if that is what he wants to do I hope I am wrong. But I just don’t see it in him.
Just my opinion of course!

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Yep third highest scoring team with an inexperienced forwardline. Jed clearly has no idea.

Lazza16

Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yep third highest scoring team with an inexperienced forwardline. Jed clearly has no idea.
I am not satisfied........I want the HIGHEST scoring team.......a real forward may bring that....McStays growth has taken him forever... do you think Jed is telling him the finer points of maneuvering his body.... man on man positioning.........perhaps lead patterns etc yes.

Last edited:

Lazza16

Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am not sure why, but I just don’t see him as a Coach!
I might very well be wrong, and if that is what he wants to do I hope I am wrong. But I just don’t see it in him.
Just my opinion of course!
Yeah I know where ur coming from Dlions......kinda softly spoken and one of the boys type dudes........ but who knowsssssss

Back