2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Quinton Narkle would be a good target. Struggling for opportunity in the stacked Geelong midfield, however, showed some super promising signs at senior level. I really liked him in his draft year. Could be a cheap, bargain get.

Quinton Narkle would be a good target. Struggling for opportunity in the stacked Geelong midfield, however, showed some super promising signs at senior level. I really liked him in his draft year. Could be a cheap, bargain get.

you mean Nakia Cocktatoo?

Will be interested to see if any of the Dogs oversupply of mids leave this trade period with Libba re-signing.

Dunkley still out of contract and would be a great get for us but I can't see him leaving Vic or the Dogs, particularly given he had the chance in his draft year and there was clearly a deal done between him and Sydney for them not to match a bid from a melbourne club.

Regardless something has to give sooner or later. I know Bevo loves playing genuine mids out of position in the forward line but surely someone will want greater time in the middle at the end of the year.

Will be interested to see if any of the Dogs oversupply of mids leave this trade period with Libba re-signing.

Dunkley still out of contract and would be a great get for us but I can't see him leaving Vic or the Dogs, particularly given he had the chance in his draft year and there was clearly a deal done between him and Sydney for them not to match a bid from a melbourne club.

Regardless something has to give sooner or later. I know Bevo loves playing genuine mids out of position in the forward line but surely someone will want greater time in the middle at the end of the year.
I like the look of Bailey Dale and Lukas Webb, both OOC this year and both in the right age bracket as well.

Sounds like Parish is likely to stay at the Bombers. Relatively strong words from someone billed as potentially wanting to move.

“I love it here,” Parish said ahead of tonight’s must-win clash with Hawthorn at Marvel Stadium. “I absolutely love the joint … I’m red and black.”

“I have got great relationships with everyone at the club — the players, the coaches and even the staff. I’ve really enjoyed my time here and I’ve learnt so much from the relationships I’ve been able to build.”

I hear Freo is sniffing around Tim English from the Bulldogs despite developing their own young ruck Sean Darcy. If the English deal happens, I wonder if we could poach Darcy by offering him first team football.

Didn't English sign a contract extension recently? Or am I thinking about Naughton?

Surely Geelong would be all over Darcy if true. Stanley isn't exactly young and he has been quite injury prone.

Article on the Suns board about them going after one of the Hill boys from Fremantle.
You wouldn't think it would be Brad Hill, not OOC until the end of 2021 and moved home a few years ago.

Stephen Hill is a RFA at the end of this season so would not have to give up draft picks to get him, has not played a game this year though. He turned 29 last month, if our medical guys cleared his body as good to go with no major worries I'd be for giving him a 2 year contract, exactly the type of player we need with our flag window opening on a field near you in 2020.

You wouldn't think it would be Brad Hill, not OOC until the end of 2021 and moved home a few years ago.

Stephen Hill is a RFA at the end of this season so would not have to give up draft picks to get him, has not played a game this year though. He turned 29 last month, if our medical guys cleared his body as good to go with no major worries I'd be for giving him a 2 year contract, exactly the type of player we need with our flag window opening on a field near you in 2020.
Yeah if Stephen Hill was willing to move to Queensland I'd hope we'd go after him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly I've seen some Dogs fans highlight Jack Macrae as someone who they are worried about seeking a move for more midfield time with the likes of Libba and Dunkley getting their fair share lately. Toby McLean was another. Although both are signed long term they made note that "contracts don't mean much these days". McLean is someone I was keen on last year and would still be interested, however, Jack Macrae would be a huge get if he became available. On par with Lachie Neale almost. Surprised me when I saw him mentioned as I was thinking about him yesterday as a potential trade target and someone who'd be perfect for our current side.

Here's the story re Stephen Hill
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/suns-set-their-sights-on-stephen-hill-20190613-p51xg4.html

Gold Coast have set their sights on mature-aged free agent Stephen Hill as a potential option to add pace and experience to their midfield, as the 28-year-old moves closer to a senior return with the Dockers.

With Hill only having 2-3 years left you'd think he'd choose us if given the choice as we would be a lot better chance of finals action before his career finishes than the Suns.

Here's the story re Stephen Hill
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/suns-set-their-sights-on-stephen-hill-20190613-p51xg4.html

Gold Coast have set their sights on mature-aged free agent Stephen Hill as a potential option to add pace and experience to their midfield, as the 28-year-old moves closer to a senior return with the Dockers.

With Hill only having 2-3 years left you'd think he'd choose us if given the choice as we would be a lot better chance of finals action before his career finishes than the Suns.
If he leaves, he’s choosing the biggest pay packet on offer.

Honestly, don’t believe our flag window is open until Berry and McCluggage are 24 and we have a genuine full forward.

If he leaves, he’s choosing the biggest pay packet on offer.
He hasn't won a flag yet so you never know, all depends how close the offers were.
Honestly, don’t believe our flag window is open until Berry and McCluggage are 24 and we have a genuine full forward.
I'm a bit more bullish than that, our progression has been steady, IMO we finish between 7th and 10th this year so a jump from there to top 4 is very much in the realms of what can and does happen regularly in the AFL.

Wish we grabbed CEY a few years back.

Still confident there is enough improvent in our forward and back line to not worry about focussing our recruiting there.

Clearances and contested possies still somewhat of a worry.

Yep agree. I do think that we will need to develop ways to score if we aren't winning contested possessions/clearances as we are too dependent on them at this stage, but that's more a long term thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back